It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EA shuts off micro transactions for Battlefront 2.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Lol, it's ironic because honestly, multiplayer and micro-transactions take immersion right out of a game. Immersion comes from the games environment, lore/story and characters. Multiplayer, almost invariably, removes all of those aspects.

I completely agree with your post.
edit on 19-11-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthsSword
I disagree. Multiplayer is the future.

No-one I know enjoys playing single-player games. Micron transactions are also fine, as long as they remain cosmetic.

I think it's probably telling that out of two pages of replies you're the only person who thinks "nobody enjoys single player games"

Everyone else in the thread, including me, is very interested in the single player experience. Out of all my friends who are gamers I know only one who actually cares for multiplayer focused games.

I think, as most appear to, microtransactions for optional cosmetic items are fine. Anything else is just a total racket...

ETA: The (to me unfathomable) success of GTA online makes me fear for the upcoming Red Dead. Already the marketing PR is leading with "a unique and amazing never before seen multiplayer blah blah" approach... does not bode well...

Multiplayer has really hit the quality of gaming hard I feel...
edit on 19-11-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Micro transactions can be fine when they are done right. Cosmetic items, stuff to give you a small leveling boost. Nothing that is game breaking or "pay to win".

But the way EA did it was just a pure money grab. From what I was reading, in order to unlock the really strong characters like Darth Vader, you could either spend 40+ hours trying to grind out the points needed, or just drop 40$ on day 1 and cut through newbies like swiss cheese. What gripes people the most is that these characters should be available to play as soon as you purchase the game, not dangled over you like some carrot on a stick.

What people hate the most is games with day 1 DLC. The new South Park game was an example of this, buy the game for 60$ only to realize right off the bat that if you want the full game you will need to drop another 20$-40$ on top. EA was essentially doing this with all the characters in SWBF2 which led to a lot of prominent streamers to actually boycotting it.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I actually liked gaming. Now its off putting. Guess what, I buy the toys and games in my house. My kids wont be gamers.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Gaming is, or was, a great form of entertainment... Many of the plots and stories were better than most movies I have seen in the last ten years, but now, eh, it seems the industry is trying to shuck that off. Well, they'll be shucking off probably 1-3 billion dollars from their multi-billion dollar industry when and if they do.

The gaming industry actually surpassed the movie industry in annual earnings, but that's not enough, they #ing want more. It's really disheartening to watch.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
EA is only gonna suspend the lootcrates temporarily unless a law that prohibits them comes into place. Belgium is looking to ban all lootcrates in videogames for EU. Nice to see the fallout regarding all this. Thanks EA.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Jungian

Well, EA isn't the only one, and that's the problem. Activision, Bungie, et cetera have also been looking into inserting lootcrates and micro-transactions into their games. That's a problem

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I suspect what's going to wind up happening is that they'll get rid of lootcrates and micro-transactions and jack the price of games to $80 and $90 a pop and we'll probably bitch about that too, but....
edit on 23-11-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Jungian

Yeah, this is definitely a time we could use Ralph Nadar busting the chops of the corporations for us.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
And people still buy their games.. if folk were more discerning and didnt settle for this crap they would (should) have gone out of business a decade ago -most of their output is well below par, just product and nothing more.

I avoid their games like the plague, no way will they get my cash

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

The only EA game I have bought recently, was Star Wars: The Old Republic. And that came out in 2011. It was a fun game at the time, haven't played for a few years so not sure how it is now.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Still have no desire to buy any of their titles....

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Really the only thing I play of EA's is Mass Effect and Dragon Age, but they're going to wind up destroying those franchises too.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

It was... I haven't played it recently

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

My favorite part was the crafting system. I liked how you could break down stuff you made to learn new recipe's. And also that you can send your underlings to collect the materials.

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

I liked their narrative direction. It depended on the class and light/dark level of your character. I consider it one of the better multiplayer games out there frankly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join