It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking to get the girl a pistol

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

It took me a few months to pick out my gun. Nothing ever felt quite right in my hand. The salesmen kept telling me to get a revolver, but I don't like them. Finally, I found a gun that had the right grip, was the right weight, and I felt comfortable/confident shooting. I think going to the shooting range and trying various types, as other members have said, was the most helpful thing I did.

I also went through a CCW class, but never carried nor do I have a gun now. Just felt that I should have that knowledge. Anyhow, it's up to you, but if you want her to truly like her weapon and enjoy shooting it, it'd be beneficial to take the time and let her pick it out.

Thanks,
blend

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddenlight

Unfortunately, it's not quite as simple as that.......

My Woman has an ex. The ex, is absolutely out of his ever loving mind. I'm not saying this metaphorically either - He has been involuntarily admitted into mental health wards on multiple occasions, has a history of violence, and actually we had a Personal Protection Order placed on him that was recently lifted (he managed to not violate the order, thanks to being in a mental institution for the majority of the time.)

In case you're wondering, it was primarily due to a head injury he sustained a while ago.

In any case, there is an idiot with violent tendencies and a history of severe mental instability who has made threats to us and his child, so having something for peace of mind is more than simply "finding ourselves", and more along the lines of "being prepared in case HE finds ourselves".

Not to mention that I work in an area a few miles from downtown Detroit, and there are... less than reputable people that frequent the areas I do

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I hope she finds something she is happy with. Its a personal taste thing. The ruger i recommend is something I'd totally buy for a pocket carry situation, but its a bit on the small side. Great for a ladies hands, terrible for my big old meat paws.

FWIW, the reliability of revolvers is very nice to have. They never misfire or jam. From what you describe, you might also consider a shotgun for the house. You can likely pick up a Mossberg 500 in a tactical build out that is pretty handy if you like the idea of raining 00 buckshot into peoples backsides. Almost every pawn shop in America has one in stock.
edit on 11/8/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

That is an understandable fear. Now that you have recognized "Fear," see how you can use it "in a multitude of ways."

See, I knew there was a reason. People don't just fly-by-night and purchase a weapon without a justified reason.

I have excellent and exceeding experience with a range of weapon systems.

And, I can agree to: "Having one and not need it, and yet need one and not have it."

Understand the person you are presenting the weapon system to, then decide it's application, proceed from there.

Are you talking: long-range, short-range, stopping/kill shot, subjugation, sending a message, or sending one on to heaven; Understanding yourself(or person for whom the weapon is intended is the first step).

Know your: caliber, weight of the person, strength of the person; Basically pounds-per-in, Stopping power, and what the person is physically capable of handling.

In all honesty, I am not against weapons or weapon systems. However, I do highly question the need and necessity.

Always expend all your options before doing anything in haste. Make sure to be "Master of your Fear" and not the other way around. It is always healthy to harbor some self-doubt.

"Know Thyself"
edit on 8-11-2017 by hiddenlight because: bubbles

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Get her a Bersa Thunder. It is a .380 that mimics the PPK with a de-cock and safety. It is also double and single action good for rookie carriers.

retail is between 250 and 300

bersa.eagleimportsinc.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Look at the S&W Bodyguard .380 or the shield in 9mm.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Look at the S&W Bodyguard .380 or the shield in 9mm.

Taurus PT111 G2 also. 9mm 200 bucks or so.
edit on 8-11-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Bersa Thunder 380

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Hope you've had a few deep arguments before you came to this conclusion...

Anger, will and does, makes a person do things they would never do against their own values....

If you already told her you're going to buy her a gun,....i would delay that decision for a bit, some women/men can be down right vindictive...some use a gun.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Take her to the range and let her try different pistols until she finds one she likes. My boyfriend was wrong about what I would like, my dad was right (though probably more from genetic preferences rather than knowing me well.... it turns out he just recommended the pistol he likes best within my preferred caliber range).

Remember, for your purposes, she has to like to shoot it AND she also has to be comfortable carrying it around all the time... I get annoyed when there’s too many quarters in my purse. If she’s more... ahem... feminine than me (how often does she ask you to open jars?) there may be a small window between “too heavy to carry around all the time” and “too much recoil.” You could be sneaky about it, take her to the range and get her to try them and come back later to buy one she liked.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join