It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking to get the girl a pistol

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Good afternoon,

I figure i'd put this in general chit chat as opposed to weaponry because, well, there's nothing conspiratorial, just a few questions.

As some may know, I live in Michigan and we have some pretty open gun laws (although some seem overly draconian), but among the better laws is that you can not only:

A) open carry, but you can also
B) Still carry openly with a CPL - you are not *required* to carry concealed, basically. Also, this little tidbit allows CPL holders to carry openly in most Weapon Free Zones, I.E., Theaters, school property, banks, etc (unless there is a warning sign that it is expressly not allowed placed by the owner of said property)

Anyway, I currently open carry (as I have yet to get my CPL) my Browning Mark 3,matte black, chambered in 9mm with wooden grips. It is a beautiful, sexy pistol with a full size frame, although not something I can generally conceal unless under a coat.

I am looking into buying my fiance a pistol for her to carry, so that we are both protected, and so we have something when we DO get our CPL's sometime in January.

My question is this:

What would you recommend for reliability and cost efficiency (something under $300)? The reason I brought up my earlier points, is to clarify that I don't necessarily need something concealable..... It can be big and bulky for all I care, I just want to get her something she can trust.

I've considered a Hi-Point C9 simply for price and reliability (even though those guns are the ugliest things ever created). Mostly I've heard the same thing form everyone that has fired them: "They're ugly as hell, but fire every time".

Does anyone have one that can attest to their reliability?

Are there any other good choices of firearms (preferably new) that cost under $300 that would be worth purchasing? Pretty much open to all suggestions, ranging from .380 to .45, revolver or semi Auto.
edit on 8-11-2017 by dothedew because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

No suggestions other than to get her feelings on whatever you purchase. If it's for her, she needs to be the one who judges how comfortable it feels in her hand.

Guns for under $300? I've looked at a few when I'm with my husband in the stores, they're at least double that here....
Stuff is so inexpensive in the states 😕

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I recommend the Dillon M134D Gatling Gun..
Its great fun to play with.
Its easy to handle when mounted correctly, even the kids can join in
The kids can use it to shoot balloons at birthdays
And you can bring it along when going shopping with a easy to mount harness.
Or you could just get ya gal some flowers and a bottle of wine

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

It is a beautiful, sexy pistol with a full size frame,

Wow "sexy" huh,,, no never mind, I'll just stop myself here.

K~

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I got my wife the Noisy Cricket, it's a Beretta .28.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Staying "alert and aware" costs absolutely nothing. Remember, "There is absolutly no such thing as absolute safety."

It's the psychological idea of "safety" that makes some people run out and buy a gun. If it takes a "gun" to make you feel safe, I would sincerely encourage you to get to "Know Thyself" a little bit better.

"Having a gun" doesn't make you any "safer in this world" than when you "don't have a gun."

Think about it long enough and you will understand -because obviously "Fear" has already defeated you and, that's half the battle.

edit on 8-11-2017 by hiddenlight because: bubbles

edit on 8-11-2017 by hiddenlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I don't know about up there in MI, but down here in KY and 20 minutes north of me in OH, you can go to any gun range and they have a selection of firearms that you can rent to try out, ranging from pocket pistols (S&W Bodyguard, Ruger LCP, etc.) all the way up to some hefty bastards of a pistol (obviously not really meant for carry).

Let her try out a few and see what works best for her. I had bought the Bodyguard intended for my wife, and I have the S&W M&P Shield 9 (not the 2.0 version) as my EDC.

After having my wife shoot both after she took the class for her CCDW permit, it became readily apparent that the Shield in a 9mm was better for her than the .380 Bodyguard--the Bodyguard's size was just too small to be comfortable when shooting, and its exceptionally light weight made it snappier with the recoil than the 9mm Shield.

So, I sold the Bodyguard and will be getting her a Shield as well.

Just something to think about--letting her try multiple firearms will generally yield the best result. I have found the Bodyguard for under $300 at places before, and found the Shield close to that as well. I like the M&P line from Smith & Wesson--I think that they're a great compromise of quality, functionality, and price.

I used to have a little Taurus TCP .380 (similar in size to the Bodyguard), and it was relatively cheap, but gave me ejection problems with some ammo, as well as feeding issues...to the point where I would have dreams of being in a life-threatening situation and the firearm failing to function when I needed it the most.

Just make sure that you get something reliable--the concern of a firearm malfunctioning at any point is not a good thing for an EDC weapon.

Happy hunting!

S&W M&P Shield 9mm for about $300

There are deals on decent guns out there.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Nothing's to good for my lady. Only the best....who cares about price?

www.personaldefenseworld.com...-43-8

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

My girl got her CCW, here in NC, and she had a higher price-point (got her a Walther PPK 380 -- because of her small hands), but you should be able to afford a nice lil .38 revolver.

Be sure to let us know what she got and how she likes it. Best of luck

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddenlight

Why? Why even respond with this? The OP didn't solicit opinion on his desire to purchase a weapon--if you have no on-topic input, why even bother?

"Having a gun" doesn't make you any "safer in this world" than when you "don't have a gun."

Your "logic" in this "statement" and the "entirety of your post" is "conspicuously missing."

Not that you'll listen, apparently, but the vast majority of those of us who carry a firearm do so in the 0.00000000001% chance that, in our life, we may find ourselves in such a position that we need one as a last resort to protect ourselves our others. It inconveniences you, personally, not one bit if I carry my weapon on me with the hopes and dreams of never having to use it against another living being.

Maybe if others carrying firearms bothers you so much, you are the one with the irrational fear and who needs to come to terms with thyself.

Why are you so concerned about me, or the OP, or anyone else legally carrying a firearm?

edit on 8-11-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

A used Ruger Mark III .22 can be had for around $225-$275, a Ruger SR22 pistol can be had for $275 new. Don't like .22's?
Then there is the Ruger SR9E which holds 17 rounds of 9mm and can be bought new for $300.
S&W SD9ve can commonly be had for $275 new and it holds 16 +1 of 9mm.

If 9mm is too much there are also Bersa Thunder .380 which look like a Walther pPks but cost $250 new.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
In reply to "Monkey boy"

It's an "online-forum" where people write and interact through text based communication.

When you speak in the public (or post); It is what it is.

#1 - I'm not your Enemy or your friend.
#2 - If you're looking for a fight, I'm not the one.
#3 - We can agree to disagree.
#4 - Refer to #1 if you have already misunderstood.
#5 - I don't answer to you.
#6 - This isn't about you.
#7 - This isn't the end of the world.
#8 - Gun owners and their reasons are a dime a dozen.
#9 - I have excellent reasons for my reasons.
#10 - If you have any other questions, please start at #1.

Peace.

edit on 8-11-2017 by hiddenlight because: 7.62

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
My adult daughter has her ccw here in Utah. She was carrying a walther P22, but it was kind of small for her (frame-wise). My son-in-law has a Springfield xd-40, which is also a really nice pistol, but a little big for conceal carry.

So, now it seems, at least in my family, that the Ruger LC9 is what we're currently carrying. My daughter, 2 sons-in-law, and my brother in law all carry these. They seem really tiny, but they shoot really well. I teased my son in law, "where'd you get that, in a cracker jack?" Then I put a few clips thru it at the range, Very nice weapon. I was actually more accurate and pleased with it than similar glocks chambered in 9mm. I'm hoping to pick up an lc9s for myself by the end of the year. (Also been looking at the taurus Millenium, but I have not shot one of those yet).
edit on 8-11-2017 by jhin1place because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-11-2017 by jhin1place because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddenlight

It's the psychological idea of "safety" that makes some people run out and buy a gun. If it takes a "gun" to make you feel safe, I would sincerely encourage you to get to "Know Thyself" a little bit better.

As a Buddhist with a pistol and a ccw; I feel enlightened and a little safer all at the same time. They aren't mutually exclusive.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I concur with the exclusivity. But remember, enlightenment is a "state" not necessarily a feeling.

Side note: In the ancient Sanskrit, the "Buddha" said he never created a religion. Simply a way for people to get their head strait -so to speak. I can say, "I am Santa Clause," but that doesn't mean I understand causation verses reactivity.

In jest: A Buddhist with a gun sort of defeats the idea of the corporeal/temporal quality of impermanence.

Milk stool: It is still a mental perception. Gun owner-ship logic deals with safety, thus, fear is a connected element.

I rest my case.

Peace.
edit on 8-11-2017 by hiddenlight because: bubbles

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Honor Defense Honor Gard subcompact 9mm...wife loves hers. Look em up...

..or head to a range where you can rent various pistols to try out...
edit on 8-11-2017 by Lab4Us because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: hiddenlight

#1 - I'm not your Enemy or your friend.

Nor am I yours...but I never claimed either one, although my general approach to people is to like them by default until I have a reason not to.

#2 - If you're looking for a fight, I'm not the one.

Nope, not looking for that, either, I was just asking questions and making points. I just tend to be very direct...it's a "fault" to some people, I suppose.

#3 - We can agree to disagree.

Sure, but if you're unwilling to openly discuss the differences in viewpoints, agreeing to disagree is tantamount to apathy and an unwillingness to attempt to understand.

#5 - I don't answer to you.

No one said that you did, but for someone who doesn't answer to me, you sure are making it a point to respond to my comment...

#6 - This isn't about you.

Nor is this thread about your opinion of the OP's desire to purchase a firearm. That's a two-way road, Hiddenlight.

#7 - This isn't the end of the world.

Agreed, so let's not claim that "fear has already defeated you" if someone want's to buy a gun and is seeking input about recommendations on which one.

#8 - Gun owners and their reasons are a dime a dozen.

Again, you are correct, yet you generalize the OP, saying that fear has won and implying that he hasn't thought through his right and desire to purchase and/or carry firearms. Using "fear" as the generalized scapegoat for gun ownership is, simply put, lazy.

#9 - I have excellent reasons for my reasons.

Good, as do I, as I'm sure that the OP does as well. I never said that you shouldn't believe what you believe, I asked why you felt it necessary to preach to someone in the way that you did. That's a valid question, because your entire response was off-topic.

#10 - If you have any other questions, please start at #1.

Nah, you've thoroughly summed up your level of willingness to discuss this topic, so asking any further questions would be a lesson in futility on my end.

Also, nice reason for your edit, I guess.

Gun owner-ship logic deals with safety, thus, fear is a connected element.

So, generalizing the reason behind gun ownership again is appropriate how? What happened to the reasons being twelve for ten cents?

Sorry, that was a 'further question'...I retract that question before I have to look at number one again...

I'll just leave you with this: Being prepared for a very small, but possible scenario, has nothing to do with fear for many, many people.

If you want to discuss intelligently and rationally, I'm game, otherwise, this "Monkey Boy" is done here.

Best regards, whatever you decide.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Ha ha ha, Son Son Son.

I love you man.

Be good Brother.

Peace be with you always and forever.

“Where fear is . . . happiness is not”.
Seneca (4BC – AD65) – Roman Philosopher and Playwright
edit on 8-11-2017 by hiddenlight because: Had to throw in a quote.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

First: NEVER BUY A HIPOINT. Its the worst product on the market. So bad its the butt of every joke on the range. Its the handgun version of buying CLover Valley sodas.

Ruger 3701 LCP .380 is a great pistol for a lady, and under $300. Its what i bought for my sis when she took her License to Carry class. Its what she carries daily.

I got hers in pink with purple grips, and 2 extra mags.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I plan on taking her to a range to try some out (we have a local range where you can rent, shoot, buy)....

And I really appreciate all the suggestions! One of the hardest things in my area is finding a place that actually caries a variety of makes and models, as I don't want to visit a place or two and have a limited selection. Hearing from people that have carry weapons is always a plus, and gives me a good place to start looking.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join