It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Rare Drug-Resistant HIV Found in N.Y.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'm not disagreeing with Soficrow. I just would like to know how this came to be such an interest for him and whether or not he works in a field that puts him in a position to have such an well-organized overview of the problem and a generally pessimistic view of all things prion.

Hey, leatherneck, the more you research prions, the more you become pessimistic. I've been working on a way to kill them for years. Ebola is easier to kill. It's like a "hidden" epidemic already.

FYI - I am not pessimistic - just evaluating the problem and the information. IMO - you are having a pessimistic, emotional response to the information. It's perfectly understandable.

I already went through that - from WTF!? to omigawd! to holycow - and I've come out the other side.

My premises and analysis:

1. Information is power;

2. Knowledge is power;

3. Any problem must first be acknowledged before it can be solved;

4. Restricting public access to information about prion diseases - and the sheer breadth and extent of the 'problem'

a) denies ordinary people the information they need to make life decisions and survive; and

b) secures undue power for corporate planners and decision-makers.

[edit on 12-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Well Grady it seems that the new mutation was expected,

My daughter just told me today that while she was in her class doing work one of her TA's was just talking about HIV and how virulent is turning and that a new mutation was going to happened soon.

So obviously is been talks about it.

And Soficrow, my daughter also told me that the research program department has doctors from all over the world, and is funded by private and government groups and guess what is the main item of research?

Mad Cow disease and yes prions.

I think the government is into it but is keeping quiet.

[edit on 12-2-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

My daughter just told me today that while she was in her class doing work one of her TA's was just talking about HIV and how virulent is turning and that a new mutation was going to happened soon.

...my daughter also told me that the research program department has doctors from all over the world, and is funded by private and government groups and guess what is the main item of research?

Mad Cow disease and yes prions.

I think the government is into it but is keeping quiet.

Interesting that they're letting students know about it again - that's been squashed at least 3 times since the 1950's.

...The main reason the public was never told was because there never was a solution to the problem.

Now - the public isn't told because the solutions are "too expensive" and implicate international corporations as legally liable.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Thebandit795 what you mean to start using the rifle machines?

On who?

Did I say rifle machines Marg??? Read again...

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

On who?

I guess I most be dumb because I still can not get it.

[edit on 12-2-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

On who?

HIV is fighting the righteous battle. Get the message, from God; he doesn't like homosexuality or promiscuity. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for sodomite’s behavior, this is nothing new. Stop researching a cure and reform the sinners!

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kinja
HIV is fighting the righteous battle. Get the message, from God; he doesn't like homosexuality or promiscuity. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for sodomite’s behavior, this is nothing new. Stop researching a cure and reform the sinners!

Hummm...............I see, I though that was what it means but I wanted him to come straight and say it.

I find irresponsible to blame God for the mistakes of man kind, we created the nasty world we live in and we are responsible for the proliferation of diseases.

It will be no God to be the one to end mankind but mankind itself.

God has nothing to do it.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Marge said
Hummm...............I see, I though that was what it means but I wanted him to come straight and say it.

Marge -- that isn't what Bandit was saying -- what he was talking about I think was --

Dr. Royal Raymond Rife discovered that every virus, bacterium, parasite and other pathogen is particularly sensitive to a specific "frequency" of sound and can be destroyed by intensifying that frequency until it literally explodes - like an intense musical note that can shatter a wine glass! To "disintegrate" the microbes, Rife invented a Beam Ray machine (now known as a Rife machine), the forerunner of today's Global Wellnessô instrument.

Sorry that is all I know about it but you can google to read more.

jm

[edit on 12-2-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Marge said

Marge -- that isn't what Bandit was saying -- what he was talking about I think was --

OK, then I apologized to Bandit for my post, and thanks for the clarification.

Diseases are an evil that we all have to live with it until more research and more accessibility to control is used.

I always feel that is a social problem created by us humans. Now has anybody had information on ebola and HIV link?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

God has nothing to do it.

God has everything to do with it.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Paint me a wacko conspiracy theorists, but I think the answer has to do with the government. Homosexuals, drug addicts, the lower class citizens are all considered a thorn in the governments side. Religious extremists are also the ones that have the power in the country for a long time. HIV was man-made, I'm 99.9% confident in that, its made to thin out the population of people the government believes to be "vagrants." this is probably just a new strain to do the job quicker.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Personally, I think HIV is a bit too crafty to be of human origin. Science is not quite so proficient, yet, I think.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Paint me a wacko conspiracy theorists, but I think the answer has to do with the government. Homosexuals, drug addicts, the lower class citizens are all considered a thorn in the governments side. Religious extremists are also the ones that have the power in the country for a long time. HIV was man-made

Tell you what I agree with you, to certain point, is easy to appease the masses in a country when you bring God, and blame the certain groups and minorities as having the fault for what is going on in our society.

That will keep the masses occupy until the government comes out with a treatment.

What an Irony, is good to have a God that can fit all.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
LMAO!!! Why stop with homos... why didn’t they apply their genetically engineered virus to all non-Caucasians.

Advance your gingerbread man 2 red spots... Or leave Candyland.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Grady, finally the news about the new mutation of HIV was on the prime news, but ironically not much news or information was provided.

Could it be that the government is trying to hide something? Or perhaps avoid mass hysteria.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Some women have been known to have unprotected vaginal intercourse with their infected partners for years without getting infected. I don't think anyone knows why. As vaginal intercourse between two men is impossible, the likelihood of infection from two men having unprotected intercourse would be higher. I don't believe that I have ever heard anyone suggest that anal intercourse is safer for heterosexuals than for homosexuals. This is not to suggest that unprotected heterosexual activity of any kind is safe.

true however there are men that have homosexual sex with infected partners for years that never get it also.
tho anal sex may be higher risk then vaginal intercourse its not by much women still do catch it verry easy.

unfortunately to many poeple get caught up in the numbers of the risk and forget a risk is a risk.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Personally, I think HIV is a bit too crafty to be of human origin. Science is not quite so proficient, yet, I think.

The thing about infectious prions is that they're proteins - which means they can infect microbes like bacteria and viruses.

Looks like HIV originated with some weird hitchhiking and cross-breeding in the mid-1950's when the polio vaccines were contaminated with simian virus (SV-40).

.....So yah, prions and HIV are crafty and mainly result from 'natural' processes accidentally occurring in 'human activities' - but - it still doesn't preclude purposeful tinkering... It is quite possible and even likely that some mentally malformed idiots with a budget played around with genetic modifications on this one. But who knows.

...Just cleaning up the mess will be a big expensive job - using resources to speculate on its origins may be just a useless waste of energy.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
The reaction of the San Francisco gay community is mixed:

SAN FRANCISCO
No panic over report of new HIV strain
Infection back East worries some here, others indifferent

Reports of a new and deadlier strain of the AIDS virus were beginning to circulate through the Castro district Saturday, bringing reactions ranging from indifference to fear.

East Coast health officials announced Friday that they had detected a form of HIV in a New York man that appears to be resistant to drug treatment and leads to the rapid onset of AIDS.

Although it's only a single case, the discovery triggered a nationwide alert and renewed calls for people to follow safer sex practices. AIDS experts said it's impossible to predict how great a threat the newfound strain might turn out to be.
Mixed

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Advance your gingerbread man 2 red spots... Or leave Candyland.

DONT BE HATIN! that game rocked.

I was, I must admit, very happy with this news. Obviously, upset, but happy.

It was, first off, a beautiful example of the power of viruses and reverse transcription. They use RNA to carry their genetic code, which is much more mutable. also, to replicate, they must change the RNA into DNA then back to RNA, which allows for many more mutations. HIV and the common cold, to pick the two easiest examples, are notorious for evading treatment (the common cold just gets you out of work
). this, however, is a huge jump (X-Men, anyone?) and truly a triumph to Virus-kind. from a scientific point of view, its amazing.

The other reason I was happy was that people often forget about these things, and its nice to see them scurry about when they are 'reminded.'

top topics

<< 1   >>

join