It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US DOD Plans National Blackout Drill During Antifa Protests in November 04-06.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Put them in a metal (solid or mesh) enclosure.

Some law states charge will always be on the outside of en encasement,Faraday. comes to mind.

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant

Put them in a metal (solid or mesh) enclosure.

Some law states charge will always be on the outside of en encasement,Faraday. comes to mind.

Radio sets are usually encased in metal enclosures, so induced current flowing thru conductors (like antennas and power cables flow thru the case, around the electronics. The most prominent threat to HAMs is a lightning strike.

Compared to that everything else is secondary.

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Well excuse my ignorance but what I was saying is they will not be able to do MUCH to get the POWER back up without spare parts or hardened (protected, ie Faraday caged, ect) power systems.

Sure they will be great at getting the info out that we are #ed because we have no spare parts and the power company and distribution systems were not hardened.

edit on 29-10-2017 by LookingAtMars because: more

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

No kidding!
Just blankly staring while standing dumbfounded in the street as the angry mob starts to rip the place apart.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
Well excuse my ignorance but what I was saying is they will not be able to do MUCH to get the POWER back up without spare parts or hardened (protected, ie Faraday caged, ect) power systems.

Sure they will be great at getting the info out that we are #ed because we have no spare parts and the power company and distribution systems were not hardened.

They will be the only sources of local information, since radio and TV are down. Have a battery powered AM radio with sideband? If you listen into their broadcasts they will be 'hubs' for information about where to get assistance, shelter, water, food, which parts are dangerous, safe to proceed thru, which roads are closed, etc.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Yes, I understand that, but thats not going to do much to get the power back. You will have no food in a few days in the cities, toilets will not work, no gas will pump, no ATM's or CC's will work. The gov will not be able to do much to help if it is nationwide. So like I said they will be great at getting the info out that we are f#'ed.

Not trying to say they are worthless. In many situations they are life savers with the info they can provide. If the whole grid is down though there is nothing to be done but get out of the cities and live off the land and stored supplies. Lets hope it never comes to that. Lets hope they harden the electrical systems and store spare parts in protected places. That is the only thing that will stop the whole grid from going down and bring the power back in a reasonable time.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

So like I said they will be great at getting the info out that we are f#'ed.

Thats a f#'ed attitude.

You can drop that anytime.
edit on 30-10-2017 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Well if you think that if an EMP/CME takes out the whole US power grid (which it could if it is big enough) we are not #'ed, you need to do some research.
You say bad attitude, I say a realistic view. My main point is if the gov/electric companys would just spend big $ to be prepared for a "bad day" the worst could be avoided. The gov is aware of this and some are trying to do something about it. I pray it is not too little too late.

I am in no way disparaging the HAM's, most are great people giving time and $ with little thanks. I hope you have a great week intrptr.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

The other replies are right on the money but I would also like to point out that during a CME emergency the ground becomes charged. Ground currents being the primary destructive aspect. Everything is grounded... right?

1859 ring a bell?

Carrington CME Event 1859

-Driver

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
So what exactly does this entail?

Am I going to be barred from playing Battlefield 1 and Elite dangerous for a couple days?

Should I stock up on food and water supplies and maybe pick up another box of Winchester 9mm defenders?

Make sure I have some movies downloaded off of netflix onto my home device?

Have a BBQ?

Just curious as to whether they are going to knock down the power grid, communication grid, or something else entirely?

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Z32Driver

I would also like to point out that during a CME emergency the ground becomes charged. Ground currents being the primary destructive aspect. Everything is grounded... right?

Earth ground dissipates current, dirt is a poor conductor.

Induced current only flows thru conductors . In a CME thats power lines, rail lines, steel fences, etc.

The current builds along those paths, the longer the lead the greater the load, burning out power transformers if the surge is strong enough. Power transformers take six months or more to replace, each one is different.

Thats why a large, rare, CME event could be so disruptive.

Imagine major cities without electrical power for at least six months...

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

At night the streets and houses will be dark, inviting burglars to run amok. This is whats happening right now in Puerto Rico.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join