It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Orville S1E7

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   
*sigh*

Ya'll need to watch "Black Mirror" on Netflix sometime.

Seriously.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Need?

Seriously.

We all probably consume to much visual media as it is. But next time I have time to spend on a series I will look up Black mirror.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
a reply to: Kettu

Need?

Seriously.

We all probably consume to much visual media as it is. But next time I have time to spend on a series I will look up Black mirror.

He is referring to the third season episode of black mirror titled "nosedive".. This episode of The Orville felt like a direct ripoff from it. The Black Mirror episode dealt with the same concept MUCH better imo.

Seth dumbs it down too much and wastes so much time in the episodes and there aren't really any "ahaaa" moments.

Show is well done but after 5 minutes you get the storyline and can guess where it's going to end.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

It was a great episode. Very thought provoking and a little scary. Peoples reputations are made or broke by social media. A mistake someone made years ago could come back amd haunt them. I had made a thread a couple months ago. Asking why couldn't we as a country go to a true democracy... Well this episode guve several very good reasons.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I'm pretty impressed with Seth's production "The Orville". It kind of mocks Star Trek a little, makes a joke out of it, yet it is very well done and with taste (which surprises me about McFarlane). It seems that Seth is a hardcore Star Trek fan, his show is true in almost every detail to the overall format. I'd call it Seth's loving tribute to Star Trek.

The social commentary of the episode plots has been current, thoughtful, and balanced politically for the most part. I'd almost think that Seth was moderate, even leaning toward conservative, politically. There is something missing though.

Perhaps it's the characters, they are not as believable as Star Trek (more 2 dimensional), you can sense they are a farce. It's like William Shatner playing William Shatner playing Captain Kirk, a clone like caricature. Many times a group of actors refine their characters and improve them as the series progresses. I expect to see that with the Orville, in fact IMO the first season of Star Trek the Next Generation had less developed characters than the Orville did on episode one.

ETA: Even though the Orville story lines are contemporary social commentary that sticks to the Star Trek format, they seem shallow in comparison. Occasionally, esp. in the original Star Trek, they would have a plot that was really deep with universal meaning. That is something I'm not sure we will see with the Orville.
edit on 27-10-2017 by MichiganSwampBuck because: added extra comments

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I thought the episode was brilliant and the show is fantastic. I wish McCoy could've called Spock a "d*ck" every now and then!

As for the episode, a brilliant take on a society evolved from American Idol and Facebook likes. I loved the crew explaining why this true democracy was wrong and letting the girl know that change starts with her.

The ending with her turning off the TV was great.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

You beat me to it
I was too busy watching Ep7 .

en.m.wikipedia.org...

"Nosedive" is the first episode of the third series of British science fiction anthology series Black Mirror. Michael Schur and Rashida Jones wrote the teleplay for the episode, based on a story by series creator and showrunner Charlie Brooker, while Joe Wright acted as director. Max Richter composed the soundtrack. It premiered on Netflix on 21 October 2016, together with the rest of the third series.

The episode is set in a world where people can rate each other from one to five stars for every interaction they have. Lacie (Bryce Dallas Howard) is a young woman overly obsessed with her ratings, and is chosen by her popular childhood friend (Alice Eve) as the maid of honour for her wedding. On her journey to the wedding Lacie gets angry at a customer service worker, beginning a rapid reduction in her rating .

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

As I point out about Star Trek:The Next Generation series, the theme is wrapped tightly around being politically correct and very frequently, if not constantly, drags in telling the viewer how things were so bad in the 21st century.

I won't say that I condemn these efforts of social engineering, but we should be wise enough to recognize when we are being played. Of course, being savvy to such things invites us to say, "Well, that's alright, those subtle messages are meant for the low-life sort and not for me." The adaptive process is more complex than that.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Bspiracy

The best part of the episode was how they gamed the system.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I confess that Orville is a much better show than I thought it would be.

But I'm sure that McFarlane had to be smiling inwardly when he wrote the ending to this episode. He knew people would go online and express how they felt about it.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I just saw this episode, and I have seen the one on Black Mirror. China is implementing a system similar to this.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
so many people still dont get the certain newage startrek is about ...
www.dailymotion.com/video/x3i88ge www.dailymotion.com/video/x5v2nx4
dont know if its removed as offtopic . but its(the newage) maybe linkedup in my older post (which are not many)

green colour can mean so much
edit on 28-12-2017 by airowineSailorcat because: (no reason given)

its far beyond the "Socialjustice" topic ..

if anybody is able to do homework . please say me WHAT the new southpark episode with the jank and ALEXA is about .

its all about green and blue ....

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

who would have guessed that a spoof on star trek would be so much better than a brand new star trek series?
I love this show.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
*sigh*

Ya'll need to watch "Black Mirror" on Netflix sometime.

Seriously.

Black mirror is a little to real for some.
You know the 4th season is coming right!?
edit on 28-12-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Dude black mirror is outstanding.
All 3 seasons are some of the best ART I have ever seen.
edit on 28-12-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join