It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Orville S1E7

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Interesting social commentary from writer/ producer/ star Seth McFarlane in the newest episode of The Oriville.

The online summery I have found for the episode is:

Ed sends a team to find missing anthropologists on a planet similar to 21st-century Earth; the mission goes awry when they realize the planet uses a public voting system to determine punishment.

Basically, the episode looks at the effects of social media on the population, as shown through the veneer of an alien world.

For those of you who are not familiar with the series, it is a parody (emulation?) of Star-Trek.

If any of you have seen it I'd be interested to know your thoughts about the episode.

I do not have a link to the episode.

edit on 10.30.2017 by Kandinsky because: fixed title typo (it was killling me)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It was a good episode. It shows how the extreme use of social media to judge people in the public view over minor offenses can lead to a suppressed society. Not to mention being forced to be lobotomized for any minor infraction because the public "voted" against you en-masse.

The overreaction of the SJW crowd was well represented in this episode I felt. And the moral of the story is to "just turn it off and disconnect. Then, live your own life."

edit on 10/26/2017 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

i dont care to much for seth myopic political views, but i must say i like the show.

its like a decent rip off the twilight zone, where it tackles social issues using aliens and foreign worlds to disguise the message., but updated with todays issues and society.

i havent seen this episode yet but look forward to it.

im glad he hasnt done a show about a world where the leader is an orange bafoon, but the season aint over yet. i wouldnt mine as long he does an episode about a world where its leader is an evil female walking eagle that cant fly because it so full of BS.

edit on 111031America/ChicagoThu, 26 Oct 2017 23:11:20 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I watched this episode. I think the show in general is doing a great job of bringing up a lot of different social issues we're dealing with right now. I have a twitter account I barely use and refuse to get any other social media. I left facebook a few years ago. I'm not comfortable how people can judge each other so quickly without having or considering all of the information/evidence they need to make a judgement call. People have crappy days or do dumb stuff. If what they do is an isolated incident, there's no reason to crucify them.

it's not a laugh riot but it hits every beat of so many sci-fi episodic shows, especially Star Trek and Star Trek: TNG, that I can't help but love it. it's clever and fun. If you enjoy sci-fi and like Seth MacFarlane I highly recommend the show.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

i dont care to much for seth myopic political views, but i must say i like the show.

its like a decent rip off the twilight zone, where it tackles social issues using aliens and foreign worlds to disguise the message., but updated with todays issues and society.

i havent seen this episode yet but look forward to it.

im glad he hasnt done a show about a world where the leader is an orange bafoon, but the season aint over yet. i wouldnt mine as long he does an episode about a world where its leader is an evil female walking eagle that cant fly because it so full of BS.

Animal Fight Club: Old Orangutan vs. Over-stuffed Female Eagle?

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I was pleasantly surprised, Mr. McFarlane did not go into low-brow humor solutions. Internet culture is full of opportunity to do so.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42 A rip off the twilight zone??? Lol more like Star Trek. The exact same style and nowhere Twilight Zone.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: frostjon361

lol maybe i would watch that one afterall.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

just because its in a space ship doesnt mean it doesn't have twilight zone influences.

plus twilightzone predates star trek.
how the message is delivered is twilightesc to me. however i was never a big star trek fan and still enjoy twilightzone marathons.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42 I can see where you are coming from. And if Star Trek was never really your thing than I get ya. BTW I love Twilight Zone and have all on dvd, also have all of The Outer Limits though they are not as good.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Add "Amazing Stories" to that list and you have a lot of good entertainment.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme What is "Amazing Stories"?

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The episode was terrific. The idea that you could be arrested for too many down votes is awesome! What was really awesome was the very first commercial to show just after Lt. John LaMarr gets arrested for too many down votes for dry humping a female statue in public:

What does this commercial say about our society. The girl on the telephone could be arrested for shaking it up.

One ruler to majority rule excessive punishments are possible under any number of judges. I don't see the problem with having majority rule. It doesn't matter how many idiots you have making judgment you will get the same good and bad results. I thought the alien planet's punishments were a little too excessive.

I think the episode is more a commentary on our society's inability to forgive people for doing stupid stuff. People make all kinds of bad decisions. People exhibit all kinds of bad behaviors. People's characters are constantly changing. Many people go from zero to hero in their lifetimes as they become more experienced with their lives. I think what the episode is pointing out is how much people love judging other people especially negatively.

Overall, I love the Orville. I think it is awesome. The plots are very much like traditional Star Trek. What makes the show so good is the dialog between the crew. It's just funny that most of what they say is slightly off and inappropriate. Saying inappropriate stuff is like 13 year old humor which I still very much appreciate and love. I don't think my sense of humor has evolved much since I was 13.

I don't think the Orville is as good Firefox or Red Drawf. But it's still very good. I hope it has a good 3 or 4 season run.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I love how the crew of the Orville manipulated the vote!

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Basically, the episode looks at the effects of social media on the population,...

black mirror did that concept first, they did much better at it too.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Did they manipulate it? I thought they just used alternative facts

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015 Tonights episode was amazing
I love this show and the fact it touches on ongoing issues really is awesome.

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   

The pilot episode I still remember. I would have been 4 or 5 when it first aired.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   

I just started to watch the series and am watching episode 2 presently.. Fun good series or at least I like it so far. youtu.be...

edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

It is fun.
Let us know (when you get to E7) what you think.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join