It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 million year old homonin teeth from...............GERMANY?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This is hot off the presses,

German archaeologists have unearthed a set of fossilised teeth, which are 9.7 million years old and hold a great and ancient mystery.

This is the lastest in some provacative work this year.

Archaeologists found the fossilised dental remains in a former riverbed of the river Rhine – close to the town of Eppelsheim near Mainz – and soon realised there was something highly unusual going on.

In fact, this seemingly simple discovery – made after painstakingly sifting through sand and gravel – may well have the potential to completely rewrite human history as we know it.

The ancient teeth were puzzling because they didn’t seem to belong to any species found in either Europe or Asia.

The closest resemblance is to ‘Lucy’ (Australopithecus afarensis) and ‘Ardi’ (Ardipithecus ramidus), very early hominin skeletons found in Ethiopia.

The teeth were dug up close to the remains of a long extinct genus of horse, which helped the team to figure out the age of the teeth.

Strangely, these teeth predate ‘Lucy’ and ‘Ardi’ by at least four million years, making them extremely mysterious.

The age of the teeth is astounding, I cant wait for the paper. It possibly hits next week.

Fossil evidence has long shown how great apes were living in Europe millions of years ago.

However, this could well be the first confirmed case of hominins – a species which is closely related to modern humans – on the European continent

www.unilad.co.uk...

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

edit on p00000010k451052017Fri, 20 Oct 2017 20:45:42 -0500k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

This is so interesting. The question is will this become another anomaly sent to the "forbidden archeology" files or will this get the academics to start rethinking what many already believe, that humankind is far older than currently believed by the mainstream.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

I don't think the discovery has much to do with humans.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I want them to make dentures. Those are my great great great ..................granddads teeth, I have a right to them.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I really enjoy threads like this. For a brief moment you can drift off just imagining what things were like back then. Thank you for the information.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JustaBill

Scary. Lots of monsters!

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Lol, I would imagine so. Maybe they weren't all that scary to them seeing them all the time. I see your point none-the-less.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Not directly. But the current thought is that human life evolved in Africa and then spread out. If equally developed ancestors were present other places, and much earlier, that may throw a monkey wrench into that theory.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JustaBill

I don't think you can get used to being prey. It was probably quite stressful.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I agree and can't imagine the toll something like that would take on someones life.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Maybe. Or it could just mean that hominins appeared earlier than thought and had a wider range.

The evidence is pretty strong that the branch which led to us was in Africa for a good long while. That would apply even if they started in Europe 9 million years ago.

edit on 10/20/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It might make your teeth fall out.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

That's because we didn't have other evidence. This provides one data point. Interested to see what other evidence pops up.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
You caught me in mid-edit, but yes, new evidence has a way of changing the way we look at things.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustaBill

I really enjoy threads like this. For a brief moment you can drift off just imagining what things were like back then. Thank you for the information.

Imagine it... when you go to sleep tonight, and wake tomorrow, that is the essence of the difference between the creature who once felt those teeth in it's mouth, and you reading about it today.

Every moment between that beings thoughts and daily activity, and yours, is separated only by slight moments in time. it is as connected to us, as yesterday was, and yesterday before that, and so on... We tend to think of history as something distinct, vastly cast away from us. But really, knights wielding swords fighting against an enemy that threatened sovereignty, or the very first life emerging from the primordial soup from which all things came, is only one long distant sleep away from the then tomorrow, our yesterday... and in 10 days time, today will be one more of those distant yesterdays, 10 years, 10 decades, 10 thousand sleeps...

a dot met with a dot met with a dot... an ellipses forms. before long, it serves more than the ending of a sentence. it becomes the unsaid slices of a story.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

Not directly. But the current thought is that human life evolved in Africa and then spread out. If equally developed ancestors were present other places, and much earlier, that may throw a monkey wrench into that theory.

Or as some would say, not my circus, not my monkeys. If they only knew.

We're genetically related to trees also. even the sea weed that goes so well with sushi. The silent DNA that has not been "weeded" out. It's not so strange that we consider some people, bananas.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10..snip...

Interesting stuff, it appears to be an unknown ape. Whether it was in the branch that led to humans is unknown.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustaBill

I agree and can't imagine the toll something like that would take on someones life.

You do realise that we have simply taken the stress of being hunted by monsters and converted it to our modern existence. We no longer have the need to fear a sabre tooth tiger lurking behind the bushes, but we stress over our mundane things, equally. The fear of rejection from society, not performing to societal standards, not being with the in crowd, money, financial security, etc. Are we not pretty enough, are we safe in our own skin?

We're hard wired to find problems and combat them, no matter what. It's how we survive. The problems are certainly not as dire, but we invent problems subconsciously.

We're pretty much doomed to fail, or destined to succeed. the middle ground is uncertainty, and we'll have none of that!

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
It might make your teeth fall out.

I would think those Germanic beasties teeth had nothing on modern dental hygiene.

Oo

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune

originally posted by: punkinworks10..snip...

Interesting stuff, it appears to be an unknown ape. Whether it was in the branch that led to humans is unknown.

All Apes are unknown. I don't know any. I wager you don't either!!!!!

Well, maybe except Caesar. But he's a freak.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join