It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YB-49 - The Story of the Flying Wing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Northrop presents "The Story of the Flying Wing", a brief historical promotional documentary on the YB-49 and the advantages of the flying wing design at that time. "The Plane of Tomorrow is Flying Today" has special meaning now that the B-2 is such an iconic aircraft and it took a more modern digital fly by wire architecture to overcome some of the inherent un-favorable flight characteristics of that particular flying wing design.

...Also of note is the impressive speed drawing ability of Mr. Burke.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Why do you post these threads?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Thanks!
I love the B2 and it's history. I have a great 100 page PDF about its development...B2 Spirit of Innovation.
edit on 19-10-2017 by peter_kandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

If you don't like them why bother replying to them? Some people are interested in things like this. If you're not you don't need to read them. It's not that hard to ignore term.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

If you don't like them why bother replying to them? Some people are interested in things like this. If you're not you don't need to read them. It's not that hard to ignore term.

I was just asking why this topic is important. It's not too much to ask.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I once saw a B2 bomber at an air show. We were at a beach and it flew over our heads a few times before people even noticed it. They are surprisingly quiet.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Anybody has info on actual flight testing of the Ho-229 ? never been able to find something on that subject.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Because people are interested in aircraft and the history of them. What does it matter to you though? You're obviously not interested in the tiniest, yet you keep coming into threads in the Aircraft Projects forum wanting to know why we post threads about aircraft. So what if they don't get replies, people are still interested.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

It may not be up your street and may grate with your agenda, but that's just tough.

I enjoyed it and you are not the posting police.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Very interesting. A beautiful state of the art craft that was, actually quite flawed. Then they got interested in nuclear powered bombers that didn't prove to work out. At about that same time they surely started wonder how those mysterious flying saucers that SOMEBODY was lofting were moving through the air at terrific speeds, maneuvering as without mass and doing it all silently. You suppose that Northrop, Boeing and Lockheed never were able to solve that obviously superior form of aerial locomotion?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

They flew several test flights, some as gliders. The aircraft performance was good, but at least two of the tests resulted in damage to the aircraft on landing, and on one flight there was an engine fire resulting in a fatal crash.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

People enjoy threads that teach them something new. Why join a thread just to down it by asking a dumb question?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Because people are interested in aircraft and the history of them. What does it matter to you though? You're obviously not interested in the tiniest, yet you keep coming into threads in the Aircraft Projects forum wanting to know why we post threads about aircraft. So what if they don't get replies, people are still interested.

Ummm...that's absolutely correct...I read every one of the threads in this forum...I don't comment here much but I love them all just the same...Keep them coming...

One of the major reasons I come to ATS is in the pursuit of knowledge...anything new that I may not have encountered before...
My hats off to everyone that presented these threads...just so that I could absorb a little more information...

I can't get enough of it...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Please reference every's reply to this thread besides yours.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Because they are interesting subjects, notice how this flying wing looked almost identical to the object's Kenneth Arnold saw which he described as moving like saucers skipping on water but which he actually described as looking like flying wing's.

Of course that was in 1947 but the US already had at least one flying wing they had captured from the NAZI's, The Horton Brothers in Germany had created a flying wing that was even closer to what Kenneth Arnold had seen.

Don't get me wrong I hate the NAZI's with a passion but the Horton brothers were genius.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Why does it matter to you? If you dont like them, theb dont read them. If you'd rather talk politics or more of the same there are plenty of other threads. Don't knock people for what they enjoy.

OP: great post i love the history of anything aviation. But most especially the flying wings. Thanks

edit on 19-10-2017 by Somethingsamiss because: Wrong emoji

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Why do you post these threads?

Its an aviation forum first and foremost. Also to understand where we are now its also helpful to understand how we got here. We are fortunate to have alot of experts in the field posting in this forum. Not everybody has that level of knowledge and a few history lessons are fantastic IMHO.

More to the point there are literally 10's of thousands of threads here, my advice is to simply NOT click on ones that you think you might not enjoy.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

The member Sammamishman is one of the great posters in the aircraft forum.
Maybe you should read your own signature just below your text, it says something along the lines off "you only criticize and hate in other people what you do not like in yourself......

edit on 19-10-2017 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I sometimes wonder where science and aviation might be now if the Germans had won the war ? They seemed lightyears ahead of everyone. I recently saw a picture of all the scientists that the US rounded up over there, they were in a photo not unlike an entire High School in four or five rows 40-50 abreast. the pic, maybe 120 scientists. Imagine had they continued undisturbed in their homeland.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

They did continue their work undisturbed and probably better funded. It was just for the US and not the Nazis.
Operation paper clip Over 1600 german scientist were brought here.

edit on 19-10-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join