It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this an anomaly on the asteroid EROS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

EROS is a stony and elongated asteroid of the Amor group and the first discovered and second-largest near-Earth object with a mean-diameter of approximately 16.8 kilometers. Visited by the NEAR Shoemaker space probe in 1998.

Eros was one of the first asteroids visited by a spacecraft, the first one orbited, and the first one soft-landed on.

NASA spacecraft NEAR Shoemaker visited Eros first with a 1998 flyby and entered orbit around 2000, and on February 12, 2001, at the end of its mission, it landed on the asteroid's surface using its maneuvering jets.

The images below are from NASA's own SOURCE

I thought right angles does not exist in nature?

Either way it's a pretty cool 'anomaly', whatever it is

What are your thoughts on this ATS, it's my first thread in a while, I only post now to what I genuinely believe is an anomaly, just like my Mars anomaly threads.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   
That does look very anomalous, especially the grouping of the four light sections. looks like mining equipment with lights.
Actually, they look more like tanks.

edit on 19-10-2017 by R6A6W6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Thats weird, it casts a shadow even.
According to the link it states:
"The large, rectangular boulder at the upper right is 45 meters (148 feet) across."

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Almost a top down of a tractor ... nice find !

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
gotta love the firefly class
great find and one of the best anomalous objects ive ever seen i think in a photo. it sure does cast a strange shadow though
edit on 19-10-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: skyblueworld

I'm going to post this quote from an old member in an older thread, I hope that is ok.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

originally posted by: wildespace
How do threads like this get resurrected?

It's a great find, though. I can't give the OP a star, but I gave him a flag. It's a very interesting feature, if it's really there.

The shadow of the object in the first image gives a hint of the shape of the object. Here's the image flipped around and skewed to compensate for the sun angle, so that the shadow represents the object.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Recently, somewhere, I saw it was said that it was some kind of a probe sent from the spacecraft. I saw it here, I am sure, and that's all I know about it to be honest, I just woke up.
=)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I thought right angles does not exist in nature?

They do, check out cubic crystals like these. (168 cubic minerals listed there)
But, that doesn't mean that what we see on Eros looks natural.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Here is a thread about it on ATS:

ATS Thread

In the Space Exploration Forum.

BT

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: beetee

Thanks for that link, even though it's 7 years on and a new discussion wouldn't hurt

Some better photos of the anomaly in that thread too!

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Thor's hammer?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Nice. I usually dismiss these threads but that looks great.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

No, and there was hardly any conclusion reached in that thread, so might be worth a little more discussion.

Maybe somebody should contact the team that actually received the images and ask them what they think it is?

Should clear up any confusion about whether it was a piece of their equipment at least.

:-)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Thats where I left my smoker .
Thanks , been looking everywhere for it...got a good side of ribs on it too

Good thread.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Remember Battlezone, that 1980's Atari game? I think we've found the setting.

But seriously, that absolutely looks man-made (...or perhaps alien-made?)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
it's also a bit interesting that the spacecraft was nearly lost on the first attempt at a rendevouz:

The first of four scheduled rendezvous burns was attempted on December 20, 1998 at 22:00 UT. The burn sequence was initiated but immediately aborted. The spacecraft subsequently entered safe mode and began tumbling. The spacecraft's thrusters fired thousands of times during the anomaly, which expended 29 kg of propellant reducing the program's propellant margin to zero. This anomaly almost resulted in the loss of the spacecraft due to lack of solar orientation and subsequent battery drain. Contact between the spacecraft and mission control could not be established for over 24 hours. The root cause of this incident has not been determined, but software and operational errors contributed to the severity of the anomaly.[6]

Source: Wikipedia

Curiously, what caused the craft to be incommunicado for 27 hours and wiped the Solid State recordiing device of nearly all its data, which was lost, could not be fully determined.

From the report of the NEAR Anomaly Review Board (NARB), which ran 128 simulations in order to try to establish a sequence of events that would explain why the spacecraft malfunctioned, we can read the following tidbit in the Executive Summary on page I:

These simulations show that the fault protection actions should have ended the attitude anomaly quickly.

Source (PDF)

So while an error in the programming caused the abort in the first place, simulations show that the spacecraft should have been able to recover fairly quickly. Which it didn't. And nobody knows why.

Since this is ATS, and we are talking about a potential anomaly on the very object the spacecraft was sent to observe, I think this deserves a mention.

(Cue X-files theme music....)

:-)

BT
edit on 19-10-2017 by beetee because: Spelling and grammar

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
the more i look at these photos the more the little white rectangular portion stands out to me in front of the larger square object. it doesnt cast a shadow like id expect something solid, so i was thinking maybe its some illusion with the ground but they seem to have images from all angles and it appears to be part of the main object aswell. almost looks like a large tube coming off the main object that extends out a ways then takes a 90 degree turn towards the ground. kind of like an industrial plant tube in this image

ak9.picdn.net...

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld
Hi ATS,

EROS is a stony and elongated asteroid of the Amor group and the first discovered and second-largest near-Earth object with a mean-diameter of approximately 16.8 kilometers. Visited by the NEAR Shoemaker space probe in 1998.

That's not an asteroid, it's a Giant Space Boot.

Here's one I caught earlier. I put a small human next to it for size comparison... You'll note that the Giant Space Boot has accumulated a lot of star dust, to obfuscate the required Boot Lace Holes, which make it hard to ascertain..

Boots in Space. Who needs a wall.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
What I honestly do find interesting, are the number of impact craters on that thing. We send people up there, that thing has surely been around a long time, but look at it. It would not be pleasant having large and tiny things bombarded into us.

we need shields..

can someone work out ie and ei please? it's weird.. wierd.. weeerd.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Maybe it was a probe that was launched from Earth eons ago, by a previous civilization... maybe even reptilians.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join