It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My top 4 underrated games. What's your list?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Discworld was a great shout. As good as the Monkey Islands but i can't include those as they were never underated!

Centurion (old Atari ST / Commodore Amiga and PC). Kind of a proto Total War. It had its issues but its old and quality and never got the credit it deserved.

Definitely agree with LA Noire.

Lots of great games thinking back but nearly all of them got credit so don't count for the purpose of this thread. Going to have to have a proper think which is a nice, welcome change from the usual death and misery we get to think about!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
Fear?

Yeah, Fear was pretty good and underrated. It is considered pretty niche by most people.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

Two Worlds, particularly the second one, is pretty underrated. The original Two Worlds had its issues, but the second one was pretty damned good.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
Fear?

An opportunity lost, IMO. They had an awesome concept for a game that they ultimately ruined by including a checkpoint and load delay immediately prior to every intended jump scare in the game. It totally wrecked the suspense of the game in my view.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SgtHamsandwich
1. Two Worlds
Huge open world RPG. Graphics weren't the best but the story line was really good.

Agreed. TW was a decent game that was unfairly ripped to shreds by reviewers and casual gamers expecting Oblivion in third person view. It wasn't the best game on the 360, but it also was far from the worst of lists that it too frequently found itself put on.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

A real good game in my opinion that I don't hear much about is a game called Factorio, it is extremely addictive, so don't buy it because its hard to put down it

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: enament

Yeah, I can see how the game would be addictive. Seems I have heard of it, but don't know of anyone who has played it.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Made of tougher stuff than I am.

Fear was intense!

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

Yeah, I don't know many who wouldn't say Fear and Outlast are the two scariest games they have played, but...

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

All The Chzo Mythos Games - PC

woot! recognition! yahtzee's handiwork ofc, but maybe you'll work this reply out
which came first, the tall man or the slender man...?

for me hmm...
state of decay? though I think a lot of folks played it. i like the mix of action, simulation, driving...

transport tycoon? (or, OpenTTD) how can a game released in like 1991 still be highly addictive today??

operation genesis, the jurassic park builder ... relevant lately, but not usually, which is a shame cos it's the only decent JP simulation game (for now). trespasser also needs a mention because it's a great expansion on the Jurassic Park lore with all those dialogues by Hammond (R. Attenborough).

little big adventure 2. just a gem, really.
edit on 17-10-2017 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
1) Freedom Fighters back on the PS2. Awesome game, really deserved a sequel

2) Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (again on the PS2). I still think this game was the best in the entire series and the soundtrack was awesome

3) Final Fantasy X-2. A lot of people thought FF X-2 was a step down from FFX, but I thought it was better. The upbeat tempo of the game really rubbed off on you and could probably be used as a replacement for antidepressants

4) Dynasty Warriors 4. Loved this game. Shame they dropped the bodyguard levelling up system where you could customise your own little infantry

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Nathan-D

Yeah, Dynasty Warriors is a pretty underrated franchise, which is funny to say given how many there are. However, it's player base is rather niche. It has never really gotten the notoriety it probably should.

The only thing about Dynasty Warriors is that when you have played one, you have pretty much played them all. I always thought they should go in more of an rpgish direction with it, but that's just me.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I've always found "under-rated" to be a somewhat loaded term.. There tends to be some kind of following for pretty much every game in existence. Kinda random commentary, I suppose, but I've always found it interesting.

Forgot about Two Worlds, spent a lot of time in that one!

Titan Quest saw a lot of my hours.

Earth Defense Force was a lot of fun in its time.

Fear Effect, Valkyrie Profile, G Darius, and Area 51 all gave some fun times.

But, one of my all time favorites even now is TimeSplitters: Future Perfect.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I have heard Fear Effect was pretty good. The new one is available on PS4....

There are so many games that just never seemed to take off the way they should have in my opinion. A lot of times, Binary Domain is a great example, developers choose to release a game at a bad time and market it poorly.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I didn't even know there was a "new" one

I actually don't remember too much about it, other than some great times playing with friends and doing the whole "controller shuffle."

I just found out Crackdown 3 is supposed to be released at some point too. Didn't know there was a 2, but the first one is another that remains one of my all time favorites. Its amazing how easy it is to forget some of these things.. maybe that's just me though.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
In no particular order:

Asheron's call - My first MMORPG. I tried Everquest and Ultima Online, but just couldn't get into them. With it's seamless world (no zoning), allegiance system and player killing, AC got me hook, line and sinker. After 17 years, it finally shut down about a year ago.

Half Life - I spent many hours on this one. I may install it again (I never finished it).

Call of Duty - I played many different FPS's such as Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, Quake, Battlefield and almost all of their variants, mods and expansions, COD was the go to for me.

As far as newer games, I just can't get into any of them enough to give them an honest opinion. I have well over 200 games from every imaginable genre on Steam and I just can't bring myself to play ANY of them.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: abago71

When I can't decide, I usually default to Elder Scrolls

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: abago71

Well, it seems to me that the publishers, namely EA and Activision, are trying to phase out single player games with their micro transaction/multiplayer crappolla.

They're bringing about the next gaming crash and they don't even realize it. Multiplayer is fine as an extra, but to try and make it a staple or foundation of gaming will never work. They'll find out and it will most likely be the hard way.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Autorico
ESO was ok. Morrowind was pretty cool.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I tend to gravitate towards indie games these days.
Small teams with a huge passion towards their creation.

Turbine (Asheron's Call developers) started in a garage with payroll put on credit cards. My brother and I used to chat with the dev's regularly.
They were extremely open to suggestions and player concerns.
After Microsoft bought them, it started going down hill fast.

Tons of great games by great teams have been destroyed by the likes of EA, Sony etc...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join