It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh noes! NFL Players Are Now 'Scared' To Take a Knee, 'People Have to Feed They Family'

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

That is actually one of the very most intelligent comments I have heard anyone in this whole nasty debate utter. Wow.

Yeah ... it could still make a point, and not interrupt the anthem.

Wow. Just wow.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
#, is the Damn NFL top topic on ATS now?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

Ad revenues are down. Period. Ad revenues are what the networks count on when they bid to air NFL games. A major network makes a bid to buy X number of games over a defined period of time and then that money gets split evenly across those NFL teams. This is BILLIONS of dollars split across teams.

Ding, ding, ding. Wake up time you over entitled wannabe man-child "protesters" who think taking a knee for a few minutes in some way serves your cause. Guess who won't be getting that multi-million dollar new contract, signing bonus, or incentive?

There are team caps and there are adjusted caps. NFL team caps are decided upon by representatives of the NFL players union and the NFL owners league. It's real simple math. The players union yells at the team owners for being greedy because they make a boat load of money so the players union wants a massive chunk for the players. Makes sense right?

Well the problem is when advertisers start pulling multi-million dollar contracts, licenses sales begin to tank, and revenues across the board begin to plummet. This gives the networks leverage to pay less for the contract renewals. And why should they pay more when ad revenues are tanking?

And when this happens it gives the NFL owners league more leverage over the player's union. Why should they increase or maintain the salary cap when the very actions of the players are directly affecting their ability to make the money they covet?

So...in hindsight the handful of jack ass NFL players who thought they were "making a stand" didn't really think it through. Watch and see come next season. This will be a topic during contracts time.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

These manlets decided to protest a non-issue for whatever reason. They're now reaping the fallout. This is how responsibility works. You do something, you deal with the consequences. This is third grader level stuff.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Aegeus

AND apparently precious few understand this fact.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

You reap what you sew.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: jordan77

If they are willing to take a 50k fine to wiggling their ass one too many times in the end zone, I'm sure they can do the same for kneeling if it is so important to them.

How many $50k fines for wiggling asses have been given out? I'll wait.

Antonio Brown draws a ridiculously large fine for his latest end-zone twerk

How about twerking..better?

So none is your answer then. Cuz it was one player, one fine, and it wasnt close to $50k.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK

You clearly dont know anything about being a professional athlete.

As much as you clearly and apparently cannot recognize sarcasm, you also clearly are missing the point of this thread.

What's next? Are you going to accuse me of not knowing anything about animal husbandry? Or exo-biology?

Those two have as much to do with the actual nature of this thread as being a professional athlete.

It has everything to do with it, because it speaks to the mentality and background of the people you seem to think have no idea or have forgotten what regular people making $50k go through.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: gabewalker

Is it?

But this kneeling # still has nothing to do with the decline in ratings, according to the kneeling advocates.

Those are some serious #in blinders.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Believe me, I understand. And yes, many others here have asked me.

It was nothing that most did not think or say, it was not incendiary or threatening. It was the kind of thing one might hear on late night comedy talk shows.

Nothing more.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: gabewalker

Is it?

But this kneeling # still has nothing to do with the decline in ratings, according to the kneeling advocates.

Those are some serious #in blinders.

The issue with ratings predates the kneeling "crisis".

And yes, it's the top topic on ATS now. It's actually nice that it's slightly less political than the usual top topics.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

An issue with ratings predates the kneeling. It's obvious the kneeling nonsense has accelerated it. Even the NFL is acknowledging that, hence the statement from Goodell. Time for the folks on here that have been in denial that it's having any effect on the ratings to accept reality. The NFL has.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

So none is your answer then. Cuz it was one player, one fine, and it wasnt close to $50k.

Did you understand my point or you just quibbling over my number or whether they were twerking or shaking their butts...

My point is players get fined all the time in the 10,000s for things they do on purpose. They really don't care very much, but in the OP title they are afraid they will not be able to feed they families if they take a knee..lol really? Give me a break...

Was my snarky remark the only thing you could find to debate against...lol

edit on 12-10-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
a reply to: Aazadan

An issue with ratings predates the kneeling. It's obvious the kneeling nonsense has accelerated it. Even the NFL is acknowledging that, hence the statement from Goodell. Time for the folks on here that have been in denial that it's having any effect on the ratings to accept reality. The NFL has.

We'll see what they decide at their meeting. I think the league should continue allowing the protest as a FU to Trump. Government has no right to dictate how businesses are ran, unless it's through a formal regulation process. The NFL is not his servants, they don't bend to his whims.

I didn't even support the initial protest (I liked the message, not the delivery), but they should all protest what Trump has done here.

Oh well, won't affect me either way... I don't want football or any other sports.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

originally posted by: badw0lf
Why don't they call it hockey puck?

Because only ice hockey is played with a puck.

We've invented two new sports then..

Hockey Puck
and
Hockey Ball.

We'll be rich beyond our wildest dreams, if only the concept takes off.. Two sorts of Hockey, it will blow peoples minds.

Oh wait..

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Okay, I'd like to take a minute to sympathize with the cause of these protests. Blacks think they are the victims here, and they are (and surely receiving the worst of it), but the fact is, our servant governments have enslaved all the people! Cops and prosecuting attorneys spend their days making out complaints about the people (their employers) and doing so in the name of the people (their employers). Most times their is no verified complainant, only a servant witness with no rights violated. This is not Law, it is perversion, and to some extent it is happening to every single one of us. For instance, most have never been robbed at gun point, but everyone of us have been extorted for our money, with the threat of violence (a felony in every single state), by our very own servant government. Pay 'taxes' or go to jail and or, take your property away!! We have the unalienable right to property, but somehow the servant has a better claim? Is it the same with our lives (blacks are bearing the answer to that question). We all may not be being shot down in the streets, but we all share the pain of the faithless, Lawless servants!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Did you understand my point or you just quibbling over my number or whether they were twerking or shaking their butts...

My point is players get fined all the time in the 10,000s for things they do on purpose. They really don't care very much, but in the OP title they are afraid they will not be able to feed they families if they take a knee..lol really? Give me a break...

Was my snarky remark the only thing you could find to debate against...lol

The point is, using hyperbole to try to make a point is unproductive. Trying to equate absorbing a one time fine for a relatively small amount and losing multiple game checks (or getting cut altogether) are not even remotely analogous. It's a nonsensical argument with hyperbole and generalities for effect.

You used a bad example to support a flawed argument.

They would be taking a knee for multiple weeks, not just one. Those celebration fines are isolated. If they were worried about feeding their families based on one week's fine, that's different than if they were going to be fined repeatedly for kneeling every week.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

The point is, using hyperbole to try to make a point is unproductive. Trying to equate absorbing a one time fine for a relatively small amount and losing multiple game checks (or getting cut altogether) are not even remotely analogous. It's a nonsensical argument with hyperbole and generalities for effect.

You used a bad example to support a flawed argument.

The damn title is a hyperbole to begin with, so how should I reply to an argument that is actually based on one...lol

Antonio Brown draws a ridiculously large fine for his latest end-zone twerk
The Steelers wide receiver got tagged for $24,000 worth of fines

Is my hyperbole that far off? As I said I was being somewhat snarky with my response due to the title of the the OP's post, but the point to still true.

They would be taking a knee for multiple weeks, not just one. Those celebration fines are isolated. If they were worried about feeding their families based on one week's fine, that's different than if they were going to be fined repeatedly for kneeling every week.

They can get fined for all kinds of things and typically for repeated fines it is $5,787 for the first time, $11,576 second, $23,152 third, $46,305 forth...will be awhile before they can't feed their kids..

Oh by the way to your one time thing...Vontaze Burfict, LB has been fined $805K in 53 games.

The NFL gets about 4 million per season in fines, so lots and lots of fines wouldn't you say?

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I think these players who want to kneel should put their energy into things that actually help a cause. Kneeling does nothing. Who is it helping? Is it helping teens in Chicago NOT join a gang? Is it helping improve relations between neighbours, black, white and otherwise? Is it feeding the poor, or helping get scholarships for underprivileged kids to go to college? NO.

I think the league should institute a fine of having to work in a soup kitchen, or walk the streets in a "troubled" neighbourhood to send a positive message of hope to teens.

These spoiled players may have known injustice in their pasts, but their acting like a bunch of spoiled divas. Get out there and use your status to help people!
edit on 10233210201710America/ChicagoFri, 13 Oct 2017 21:23:32 -050068 by misnomer68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Spoken like a true cynic.

I feel sorry, for you.

The way of the world, maybe, at some level, but it's always important to retain one's own integrity and personal power ie: you can quit your job by finding a better place where people are treated as they ought to be, with the utmost dignity and respect.
edit on 25-10-2017 by AnkhMorpork because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join