It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Australia was stripped of their automatic and semi-automatic weapons in 1996

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Coming to a country near you.. and soon I suspect.

The American people would NEVER allow this to happen. It would literally be an all out war with the government

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TheOnlyBilko

I really hope your right.

I would imagine that many Australians thought the same thing, but when the time came they turned in their guns.

I wonder if it comes down to really losing your life, if people will fight to keep their guns?

edit on 9-10-2017 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Here's a thought. I don't have any sources to back this up, but Australia doesn't have neighboring third world countries sending over cartel/gangs killing their citizens in the same way the US does. Also, I want the choice to hunt my own food rather than relying on hormone filled animals.

I lived in Phoenix for a few months and in my first week, there were three gang related murders in like a four block radius from where I lived. I have a couple of rifles and keep them locked up, I don't bring them out unless I plan to hunt/target practice. I also teach my kids about gun safety as I was taught. Never once have I hurt, or come close to, hurting anyone with my guns. Most US citizens care for their guns in the same way I described.

Criminals are the ones abusing this privilege. They will still get guns no matter what laws are passed just in the same way an abusive boyfriend can walk right through a restraining order. Criminals break laws, gun laws only affect law abiding citizens here in the US.

I'm not against looking into ways to make it harder for a criminal to get a gun, but I'm not willing to give up my right in the process.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel
a reply to: nOraKat

Next for Aussies is, they will confiscate their BBQ pits. How’s about that?

Yes because wood burning, and charcoal burning and propane grills add greenhouse gas that create climate change.

Your comment might have been in jest but there are morons out there that would like nothing better than to ban them too.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
One thing the Aussies arn't stating when they say we can own semi auto handguns and pump action shotguns.

not sure on other states, but in Queensland a pistol can only legally be in 2 places outside the safe.
1. A gun shop repair or sale etc
2. An approved gun range

So owning a pistol is extremely restricted, eg a farmer on 1000's of hectares of property cant legally carry it as a side arm for close protection while culling pigs in thick scrub. Plus as others have stated you need to attend so many Club shoots per year to actually keep said pistol.

Tell me that the above makes sense.

Easiest way to own a pump action shotgun is via a doctor certificate due to injury or other means which makes clay target shooting hard with a normal shotgun.

And here's a good kicker for the Americans,
I own a .177 air rifle. Legally I need 40 acres minimum unless seeking extremely hard to obtain approval to shoot the stupid thing if im not at a range.
BTW that 40 acres covers everything, so in the governments eyes a .177 air rifle is equal to a .338 Lapua if one actually manages to get a permit for it.

I will have to do some digging. I have read a couple of times the state of Western Australia isnt even allowed to own anything that resembles a military weapon under some stupid "Appearance Clause" so eg the Tikka Tx3 Tac A1 cannot be owned over there.
State of New South Wales cannot own folding buttstock rifles

for the Nay sayers here in Australia please tell me again our laws Make sense especially WA's stupid "Appearance Clause" the dam rifle still functions the same a an old woodstock rifle.

Also dont ever dare pull a weapon out on a home intruder. A guy has recently been dragged though court because the said robber dobbed him in to police. The homeowner didnt even have the bolt in the time (my main guess for that is he didnt have time as the bolt must be locked away separate to the rifle as is ammo)
Luckily for this guy he was cleared for wrong doing, as i think the case went to public and everyone supported the guys actions, others before him havnt been so lucky.

So in saying that last paragraph, the public is fine with home defense but still want to toughen gun laws. Where in blue F^%# does that make sense.

Found the Western Australia laws regarding Apperance
www.lrc.justice.wa.gov.au...
its on page 15 of 198

Licence Category D (prohibited, except for
official purposes): self-loading centre fire rifles
designed or adapted for military purposes or a
firearm which substantially duplicates those rifles
in design, function or appearance; non-military
style self-loading centre fire rifles with either an
integral or detachable magazine; self-loading
shotguns with either an integral or detachable
magazine and pump action shotguns with a
capacity of more than five rounds; self-loading
rimfire rifles with a magazine capacity greater
than 10 rounds;

That above clause in their gun regulations has caused many issues where long range target shooters are trying to get a rifle designed around a good platform inwhich due to design for performance starts resembling what military uses
edit on 11-10-2017 by Trigger82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
They do make sense.

You as a civilian don’t need semi auto pump action shotguns or military style assault rifles etc.

Close personal protection from what?
A wild pig? You’re going to need more then a handgun and if you’re that close you’re already finished.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: mortex

~We need guns to protect us from the emus, you have heard of the great emu war havent you?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Not asking for military assault weapons.

Why is WA banning a bolt action rifle because it may look like one? and whats the harm of a farmer carrying a pistol on his 6000 acre plus property?

Please answer me that?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trigger82
Not asking for military assault weapons.

Why is WA banning a bolt action rifle because it may look like one? and whats the harm of a farmer carrying a pistol on his 6000 acre plus property?

Please answer me that?

1. You really need an explanation why your bolt action rifle should not be modified to look like a military assault rifle?..

2. What purpose does a farmer have with a hand gun? It’s not a tool for hunting or controlling wild/native invasive species that do damage to the farm thus his livelihood/income.

Have you ever done a firearms course? If you had you’d know there’s no reason pertaining to the operation of the farm for there to be hand guns on the premises let alone the farmers walking around with them. You’d know there’s much better options for the farmer to control say wild pigs, or kangaroos(which require a permit to kill), then a hand gun.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: mortex
2. What purpose does a farmer have with a hand gun?

Those pesky Indians.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join