It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: 2005 To Be The Hottest Year To Date.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Looks like 2005 is going to be a scorcher. NASA Scientists warn that 2005 will be the hottest year to date. Scientists blame a weak El Nino and green house gasses for the increase in heat.

today.reuters.co.uk
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A weak El Nino and human-made greenhouse gases could make 2005 the warmest year since records started being kept in the late 1800s, NASA scientists said this week.

The warmest year on record was 1998, with 2002 and 2003 coming in second and third, respectively.

Carbon dioxide, emitted by autos, industry and utilities, is the most common greenhouse gas. Hansen also said that the Earth's surface now absorbs more of the sun's energy than gets reflected back to space.
That extra energy, together with a weak El Nino, is expected to make 2005 warmer than 2003 and 2004 and perhaps even warmer than 1998, which had stood out as far hotter than any year in the preceding century, NASA said in a statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hearing news like this only worries me more about the melting of the polar caps. Recently it was reported that the polar caps are melting twice as fast as we thought before.

Melting of the caps will mean many other disasters for Earth. Climate change is a serious problem and we are facing it now. How long can the world government put off acting on Human-created green house gasses?

Related News Links:
www.axcessnews.com
www.livescience.com

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
.How long can the world government put off acting on Human-created green house gasses?

Unfortunately, as long as some governments keep pretending that humans have nothing to do with global warming...

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Lord knows it is starting out that way. This is normally the coldest period of the winter for us in Montana. Four or more feet of snow, and temps well below 0F. Today there is no snow at all on the ground and temp of nearly 50F.

Not looking forward to fire season this fall.

The question that keeps coming to my mind is-

If this warming trend is due to human causes, and it took over 100 years of industrialization to get this bad, how long would it take to reduce the problem if EVERYONE acted now? And it would take EVERYONE acting now to make a difference, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Thats like the same thing that happening here in Calgary. Unseen dumps of snow one week then record braking warmth the next week.

How much longer will the economy be more important than the environment? The leaders of the world have to get it into their heads that with out the environment there is nothing.
In our life time the Arctic cap will melt and expose more garbage to dig up and burn. Myself being from Canada I really think my government needs to step up and protect the Arctic.
It's only taken us about 100 years of industry to destroy what has taken billions of years to create.

I don't think everyone in the world will step up and do their part to help slow or reverse this. But we as individuals can set examples to others.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
There could be in part a natural cause to all of this.. Slowing ocean currents in the atlantic have been proven to be real.. and its getting worse.. we've had extreme weather of every kind in just the last 12 months alone.. weather anomalies are growing with each passing day.. and some of the best experts we have all say we are at a point where we can expect climate change.. the extreme weather is the first warning signs.. they've made a wild movie about this .. but don't let that fool you .. look into it for yourselves.. search for "weakening north atlantic currents"

Read the lates reports from NASA and NOAA.

Many believe this extreme global warming is just a phase of a natural earth climate cycle.. one that happens about every 10,000 years and its been near 11,500 years since the last.

Whatever mankind has done by production of greenhouse gas.. may have only sped things up a bit.

One thing is for sure .. extreme weather events on a global scale seem to be growing and getting worse.. Each time there is a storm it seems to be extreme.

Look at the desert southwest this winter alone.. California.. record snows .. rain flooding.. and that is recent.. I think everyone knows about the tropical weather seen over the last summer.. and heat waves a couple years back in europe that killed thousands.. when in the same region they hardly had a summer this last.. it was much cooler than normal.

All we can do is watch and see what happens.. we are just along for the ride.. Nature will take us where it will.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The globe is warming. Have the activities of humans played a part? Probably. Can we stop it? Probably not.

the warmest year since records started being kept in the late 1800s

That's a very small scale, barely 100 years.

Check this nice little link:

www.pbs.org...

Also, try googling GRIP and GISP2, they are cores from an ice sheet.

2005: The Hottest Year Ever!!!...we'll see...you got to love a good prophecy

It's only taken us about 100 years of industry to destroy what has taken billions of years to create.
Wow! Would you care to elaborate?

[edit on 2/10/05 by poonchang]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by poonchang

www.pbs.org...

'

Sure I can talk about that ,even from the information of the PBS site you gave me. Clicking here will show lots of data of the last 100 years

1900 - Air Pollution
Gases trapped in ice cores show the dramatic impact that human activities have had on the planet since the Industrial Revolution.

It also shows on the graft that pollutants have another large spike in the 1950s.

If you have any other questions that PBS site you showed the board is a good place to look.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Many believe this extreme global warming is just a phase of a natural earth climate cycle.. one that happens about every 10,000 years and its been near 11,500 years since the last.
Whatever mankind has done by production of greenhouse gas.. may have only sped things up a bit.

How do you speed something up that's 1500 years late?

It's a fact that global warming occurs periodically. And the times between Global Warming phases aren't in billions of years....so.....
Could you please elaborate?

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by poonchang

www.pbs.org...

'

Sure I can talk about that ,even from the information of the PBS site you gave me. Clicking here will show lots of data of the last 100 years

1900 - Air Pollution
Gases trapped in ice cores show the dramatic impact that human activities have had on the planet since the Industrial Revolution.

It also shows on the graft that pollutants have another large spike in the 1950s.

If you have any other questions that PBS site you showed the board is a good place to look.

Yes, human activities have had an impact in the last 100 years. I apologize for being so unclear. What interests me is the 100 year scale of rising temperatures compared to the the fluctuating temperatures represented in the time scale of the ice cores. Why I quoted you was your mentioning of billions or years.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Whether this is normal fluctuation or not, all I can say is I am sooooo not looking forward to another hot dry summer.

Another three months of daily migraines from breathing the forest fire smoke and visibility less than 1/4 mile.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

It's a fact that global warming occurs periodically. And the times between Global Warming phases aren't in billions of years....so.....
Could you please elaborate?

When was the last global warming? What is the cycle?

Recent Climate History
The Earth has warmed about 1ºF in the last 100 years. And the four warmest years of the 20th century all happened in the 1990s. Periods of increased heat from the sun may have helped make the Earth warmer. But many of the world's leading climatologists think that the greenhouse gases people produce are making the Earth warmer, too.
www.epa.gov...

Due to slow reactions by the climate system, past and current greenhouse gas emissions will lead to a further rise in temperature during the 21st century. In addition, emissions are expected to keep increasing over the coming decades. If no action is taken to reduce them, global temperatures are expected to increase by 1.4 to 5.8°C above 1990 temperatures by the year 2100, and by 2 to 6.3°C in Europe. These increases may seem little, but are significant if compared to the average global temperature during the last Ice Age (from about 70,000 to 11,500 years ago): it was only 5-6°C colder than today.
europa.eu.int.../05/42&format=HTML&aged=0&EN&guiLanguage=en

Look at the data. 1ºF is not a large increase for 100 years. 2 to 6.3°C in only 10 years. In comparison that is a huge increase.

originally from poonchang
Why I quoted you was your mentioning of billions or years.

It has taken billions of years for the Earth to come to this state. The oldest humanoid skull we have found is only 7 million years old. What I was trying to say is that it has taken the Earth Billions of years to evolve to this point and we are destroying it in only a couple hundred years.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
www.wunderground.com...

This is all I can find right now. It's hard to find a graph that does past 1880. there's more out there, I just can't find them.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   

When was the last global warming? What is the cycle?

Well the last global warming was at the end of the last Ice Age a few thousand years ago. There have been many cycles of warming and cooling of the earth long before humans were even around.

The earths average temp is not static and it never was no matter what humans have done to the enviroment. We could pump no gases into the air at all and sooner or later we are going to get a ice age followed by a warming up.

[edit on 11-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

[edit on 11-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
To add on to your graph poongchang

Figure 1.Average yearly temperatures in Greenland over the past 100,000 years as inferred from oxygen isotope analysis of the GISP2 Greenland ice core. Source: Cuffey, K.M., and G.D. Clow, "Temperature, accumulation, and ice sheet elevation in central Greenland throughout the last deglacial transition", Journal of Geophysical Research, 102, 383-396, 1997.
www.wunderground.com...

The site continues on describing the cause of the abrupt change it shows another diagram .here.
This web site explains the great ocean conveyor belt this belt explains climate change in Greenland. It also shows how the weather in Atlantic Canada has been wonky. The belt is not a cause for global warming.

I have also found this from November

Prestrud told New Scientist that the report draws on models used by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in its predictions. It has based the Arctic projections on the IPCC’s “middle scenario”, where global warming gas emissions are double their pre-industrial level. In this scenario, sea level will rise between 10 and 90 centimetres in this century, he says.
www.newscientist.com...

[edit on 11/2/2005 by Umbrax]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Sigh :
* Ice core samples from the antarctic show clear correllations between CO2 levels and temperature however current CO2 levels would imply higher temperatures than they are (ammo for the natural/other cause sceptics)
* Dirty pollution, entirely man-made, has shown that it is the cause of the lower than expected temperature. It is masking out the sunlight. They have measured this effect directly on sept 12-14 in the US when planes were grounded and in the maldives were the northern islands are affected by pollution whereas the southern ones aren't (silence from the natural/other cause sceptics or maybe they have conveniently not read this data yet !)
* The earth goes through natural cycles, as someone above said. What they forgot to say is that the current "natural" cycle should mean we are in a cooling phase.
* The sun affects climate change. Lots of charts on the sceptics websites showing increase activity vs increase tmeperatures.......but for some reason that part of the chart with lower sun activity is missing.

I've said it before, doing something IF (being kind to the sceptics) we are the cause will not harm anyone and still be beneficial. Doing nothing when we could have prevented disaster is downright stupid.

top topics

join