It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bump Stock Ban Legislation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
So there's apparently a push in Congress to ban these bump stocks, which enabled the shooter in Las Vegas to fire semi-auto weapons in a manner more consistent with a full-auto weapon.

Here's a little background

These accessories have been around for years, and frankly I've never thought they were a good idea. I'm a big 2nd amendment supporter and I own a number of guns myself, including an AR-15 which I think are perfectly fine for people to own. Most of the arguments against them are based in lack of information about exactly what they are and how the function. However, the reason I had a problem with these bump stocks all along is that they are clearly meant to circumvent the law. Fully automatic weapons aren't completely illegal in the US, but they are much harder to obtain legally than semi-autos are, and obviously Congress made this so for a reason. Whether you agree with their reasoning or not is besides the point. But an accessory that's meant to make a semi-auto mimic the firing rate of a full auto clearly violates the spirit of the law regulating fully automatic weapons.

That being said, there were some questions about whether this accessory should be legal during President Obama's time in office, and his ATF ruled they were legal as the law was written. I think they were correct, and they decided not to try to legislate through policy, which no agency should. However, at that point it should have been referred to Congress with a recommendation that they update the law to address this. I'm not sure if that simply wasn't done, or if Congress just didn't do their job, but either way here we are today.

Now, it sounds like they have bipartisan support to ban these things. Will they? We'll see. Normally what happens at this point is the anti-gun extremists try to take advantage of the situation by filling the bill with all kinds of other restrictions that they've been wanting for years. That's what happened after Sandy Hook. Everyone was like "why couldn't they pass something even after that tragedy?" Well, some (not all) Democrats tried to take advantage of the tragedy and include measures that would have had no effect on the shooting, that were too restrictive and unreasonable, and the bill was defeated. Hopefully this time they can stick to the issue and not try to inflate the bill with stuff they know will not pass. If they do, and it fails, go ahead and run your ads about how "the gun lobby" and heartless Republicans and everybody else are at fault. If you fill a bill with a bunch of unrelated crap you know isn't gonna pass, that's on you. Right now it looks like a bump stock ban would pass, if they just stick to that.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

They will want to retroactively ban all weapons that can be converted via the bump stock as well as the bump stock device since so many are already out in the public.

edit on 5-10-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Doing the absolute minimum to make it look like they're doing something , while not actually doing anything , typical government gesture.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's going to be a done deal...the NRA just supported it.

It's pointless though as you can still easily alter semis in many other ways. It's just a feel good thing. It's a GOP bill!

I guess a step in the right direction maybe.
edit on 5 by tiredoflooking because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Edit double post.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Don't tell them people can bumpfire with no special stock required.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: tiredoflooking
It's going to be a done deal...the NRA just supported it.

It's pointless though as you can still easily alter semis in many other ways. It's just a feel good thing. It's a GOP bill!

FYI, the Republican bill was introduced after a very similar bill was proposed by Democrats. So just saying it's useless because it's a GOP bill is asinine.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Probably should be banned. But since these work hard at skirting the rules i think victims should sue these two companies into oblivion. Victims get money and these things are removed from the market win win.
edit on 10/5/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tiredoflooking

I agree, This legislation is pointless and is being pushed to make the anti gun folks happy. It's just as easy to use a belt loop or something similar to make a semi auto act fully auto.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Probably should be banned. But since these work hard as skirting the rules i think victoms should sue these two companies into oblivion. Victims get money and these things are removed from the market win win.

Then we should sue Obama, his administration and the ATF who approved them for sale and use in 2010.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

Shhh. Life without thumbs and belt loops would be tough.

Ill never forget watching my pap empty an sks from his hip in about half a second ... and then showing me how he did it lol

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Probably should be banned. But since these work hard as skirting the rules i think victoms should sue these two companies into oblivion. Victims get money and these things are removed from the market win win.

Then we should sue Obama, his administration and the ATF who approved them for sale and use in 2010.

Hhe dodnt approve them for sale he simply didnt try to ban them figuring it didnt violate current laws . However a law suit agaidt the manufacturer will close his doors

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
the lesson that people should take from this is that regardless of what laws you make people will find a way to get around it or just straight up ignore it, people don't actually care about the law if it gets in the way of what they want.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

No.

This law criminals WILL pay attention to and obey, because the lawmakers will underline and bold it or something.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If this makes people happy, it's super. Shooting like that isn't good for anything other than wasting ammo and spending money shooting into the unknown.

And I honestly hope that a discussion is had about the silencer bill and those who think suppressors work like in the movies will get educated. It's embarrassing to see some of the things they were taught.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Yep there was a local gun shop owner on the news last night that showed how easy it is to bump fire, and that the stock is a novelty that is unpopular with gun owners.

Seems like a waste of taxpayer dollars to have our congressional leaders focus on a banning novelty.

Of course, the products are flying off the shelves right now as a result.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Google some of the manufacturers of bump fire stocks. They are mostly down due to traffic on the sites or they have a banner up to tell you that they can't keep up with orders.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Indeed.

I saw a meme going around last night with all the 'mods' available for AR platforms. One was a mounting rail for an M203 40mm grenade launcher.
Someone asked "What do you need a grenade launcher for?"

I asked her to provide me with a list of all the mass violence committed in the US using grenade launchers.

40mm grenade launchers are legal and available, but they are a Class 3 destructive device, so you need a tax stamp for purchase.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm opposed to the ban, although I feel the bump stock is downright ridiculous piece of kit to slap on an AR. Accuracy with one is but a bitter memory and they're no where near as satisfying to use as an actual full auto.

I oppose the ban because it does nothing to combat what happened in Vegas... no legislation would have prevented that from happening. Humanity has this sick, twisted knee jerk of "OMG, there must be something we could have done" anytime the SHTF. Nobody wants to accept the fact that, hey, SNIP happens and sometimes there's not a damn thing you can do about it beforehand. The only action item here, the only takeaway for every American, should be to always be prepared. Know your surroundings, know your situation, and if you're not the first person killed when it goes to hell, be ready to do what's necessary to ensure you're not the next one on the ground.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

no legislation would have prevented that from happening

Sure there are, but they would be ridiculous and Vegas revenues would plummet.

- TSA-like screening at Vegas hotels
- Required daily room cleaning

I expected something terrible to go down in Vegas for years just based on the sheer amount of crowds there and it being "Sin City". I'd say I never expected "something like this", but that's hard to say without knowing what the motive was.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join