It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23 feet giant python killed in Indonesia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Interesting to know that these monsters are not just rumours. Picture in link.

A PYTHON measuring an insane 23ft long has savaged a man to the brink of death in a brutal fight.

Monstr ous 23 FOOT-LONG snake savages man in vicious fight – but you won't BELIEVE who won

-MM
edit on 5-10-2017 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

As someone who came THAT close to going to school for Herpetology.... 23 feet.... not news. Big yes, but not news.

Now, come back with news of something 30+ feet? That is absolute news to me...

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Reticulated pythons get to be 32 foot in length. Theyre the longest snake in the world although the anaconda just slightly shorter is much more brawny and tops out as the biggest snake in the world.

Reticulated pythons definitly will try to eat a human and they do often enough.

As pets both species are known for their nasty temperament.

edit on 5-10-2017 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

That said, I'm glad there are only adders where I live

-MM
edit on 5-10-2017 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

23-foot long snake undergoes health check up Bali, the 23 ft long python, undergoes her annual health check at Chester Zoo in the north-west of England. She was one of two snakes being given the all-clear by vets at the zoo.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

23 ft magic number of something, strange how much thinner the zoo one is then the pictures of the village. They could have made a ton of money on a live one instead it says they ate it.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Adders. Dangerous. I got mostly rattlesnakes. Want a snake to mave just throw rocks at them. The F off pretty quick.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Heres a copperhead found in my parents driveway last week.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Reminds me of the time I had a fifteen foot Ana on my shoulders....that was cool

I've been amazingly lucky to have been able to encounter many exotic animals first hand. Sometimes insane like the pakistani black monocled cobra (baby) in a friends kitchen in VA....

All animals, including humans, are majestic.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Rattle snake n bbq sauce tastes just a like pulled pork sandwich

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

For anas ive only held a yellow anaconda. They top out at 10 foot. Still i kept my hand right behind its head just in case.

I had a 10 foot Surinamese red tail boa. (Much prettier than the colombians) but its personality sucked. Bit me at least a dozen times and their saliva prevents coagulation so you just hold a napkin to your forearm for like two hours waiting for all six rows of teeth marks to stop prickling up blood. Eventually gave it to the zoo for breeding purposes.

I much prefer my rosy boa growing up. A sweetheart.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Rattle snake n bbq sauce tastes just a like pulled pork sandwich

Wouldn't you rather $50,000 instead

I'm vegetarian so that sounds pretty gross

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Damned near ditto from me. I had a Columbian...named her molly because her eyes looked as silver metallic as molly's eyes from Gibson's Neuromancer. She scared the bejeezus out of me.

My favorite of all time though, honestly, was my ball python named Othello. He was a dude
Called him my puppy, because he was so laid back...so easy going...the epitome of boids...

Sadly, yeah. Divorce wound up with my guys at the zoo DC National Zoo. Including my African Spur Thighed Tortoise, yoda

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Id rather take 50k too to be honest.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I had one of those too. The epitome of laid back. Hed fall asleep laying on your chest as you sat on the couch watching tv.

My mom had a fear of snakes but it was the ball python and the rosie boa that broke her snake stereo types and got her to love snakes.

Shes not cool with copperheads hanging out on the families creek in s. Carolina 50 foot from her back door. But the black snakes 6 foot long are no obstacles for her. When she sees one precariously stranded in the middle of the road she gets out of the car. Grabs the tail and pulls them back to the shoulder where theyll be safe.

The copper head in the photo was found dead in the driveway. No doubt the victim of an owl. Pretty sure it was the same snake or one of its brood that snapped at me but missed a months earlier when i was tromping down by the creek. I didnt even see him until it lashed at me.

Im moving to queensland in a few months. There ill have to deal with the possibility of runni g across a Red Bellied Black. A very venomous snake.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK

As someone who came THAT close to going to school for Herpetology.... 23 feet.... not news. Big yes, but not news.

Now, come back with news of something 30+ feet? That is absolute news to me...

Still that will make one hell of a walled and perhaps a nice set of snake skinned boot's too.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Im moving to queensland in a few months. There ill have to deal with the possibility of runni g across a Red Bellied Black. A very venomous snake.

Nah, the red belly is usually cool. You'd probably have to stand on one accidentally to get bitten. Or provoke it as some silly people do. I have seen them rare up and flatten out like a Cobra, looks awesome, though they are well known even then for giving plenty of fake/warning strikes and even dry bites before getting serious. They're not as poisonous as they're made out to be, though they wouldn't do you any good either and would probably result in being hospitalised. They look awesome with the shiny black and beautiful red underneath. The most beautiful snake of the lot IMO.

These are the ones to worry about in Qld. Experienced herpetologists often baulk at handling these. Large, quick moving, extremely temperamental and highly venomous. Though our hospitals all carry antivenom for anything likely to envenomate anyone.

We get these pythons these in many parts of Aus, which make great pets. Very chill, beautiful creatures. Though many years ago I did find one of these these wandering around inside the house lol. One of the most common snakes in most parts of Aus. Thankfully it wasn't fully grown, was also early spring and still a bit cool so he was reasonably docile. They can be very cranky. I managed to get him in a hessian sack before he found somewhere to hide, and then I took him out bush and let him go. Normally if you see one of these, it's good to go the opposite direction. Though with the expansion of humans/ suburbia, they all seem to be getting scarcer. Shame really.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

# YEAH!

Opposable thumbs win

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Cogito, Ergo Sum

Didnt know the red belly blacks can flaten out and make a hood. The only thing in the usa that does that is the hognose snake.

Ive slways wanted a diamond or even a carpet python. Saddened that ball pythons arent allowed theyre great pets. Hey are blood pythons legal in australia ive always wanted one of those.

The brown snake didnt know they can get inside. I found a rattler inside a renta cabin once ten years ago. Problem with rattlers is they hold their ground often and wont vacate their spot. They can be fiesty too. Snakes dont really bother me i know how to read their body language. The real issue is me screaming like a sissy when i eventually find a huntsman scurrying around the kitchen. I know they dont tend to bite but tarantula sized and very athletic is a combo that makes me uneasy

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Not sure about the blood python. The rattlers look awesome, though I wouldn't like to get too close to one lol.

The closest we have is probably the death adder, though it's not a real viper (it's elapid). The problem with them is that they are slow moving (but extremely quick when they strike). So unlike most snakes which usually get away as fast as they can on approach of humans, they burrow into the leaf litter and stay still to camouflage themselves. Then there is the danger of stepping on them, though really the danger posed by snakes in Aus is way exaggerated in general. While they are extremely venomous they are rarely aggressive. Most envenomations are from accidentally stepping on one or more usually from people trying to handle them.

Carpet snakes/ diamond python are still common in Aus and I have seen them while out bush. I know a couple of people that have had them as pets. Great temperaments.

Yes, I have seen red bellies flatten their hood just like a Cobra. Looks awesome. I also noticed this particular one was striking without even opening it's mouth (false strike/ bluff). Generally they are very shy and only do this if they feel cornered. They'll usually bolt as soon as they can. Good swimmers too, have seen them crossing rivers. Though I saw one a while back crossing a back country road that was very chill. Got out and had a look at him, he was certainly in no hurry. The most beautiful glossy black and red underneath. Had to wait a full 5 minutes for him to cross the road lol. That's unusual though.

One of the biggest problems with our more venomous snakes is in outer suburban and rural areas. Human habitation attract things like rats and mice, which then attracts the snakes. So they are often found living in wood piles, sheds, laundries and will definitely get inside homes on occasion. This is the main problem with them. Keeps the snake catchers busy lol. Though it does seem to be getting rarer. In general they are shy creatures and obviously have no interest in humans but simply follow their food source. Unfortunately one of the more venomous is also the most common (brown snake) found in outer suburban areas and while shy, can get very aggressive if it feels it can't get away. No dry bites from this one. Though even considering this, it's still reasonably rare for people to get bitten. Usually snake and human get a big fright and quickly go in opposite directions lol.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Heres a copperhead found in my parents driveway last week.

You in GA? I have to kill at least 10 per year in my wooded lot.

<<   2 >>

join