It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body cam released in fatal shooting of Patrick Harmon by Salt Lake City Police Department

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

“I got ’em,” says SLCPD officer Clinton Fox, who shot and killed 50-year-old Patrick Harmon during what Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown later referred to as “a routine stop.”

In one of three body-cam videos released today, Harmon, standing next to his bicycle can be seen complying after he’s asked to remove his backpack. Seconds later, as he’s about to be handcuffed, he attempts to flee and Fox, one of the three police officers on scene, opens fire.

After being shot three times, Harmon is then tasered and administered first-aid. He was pronounced dead later that night at an area hospital.

In the footage, following a run to his patrol car to grab a pair of gloves, the shooting officer asks, “Do we need a tourniquet on anything?” about a minute-and-a-half after the incident.

A letter disseminated Wednesday afternoon by District Attorney Sim Gill’s office said that “After conducting an Officer Involved Critical Incident (OICI) review, the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office has determined that the August 13, 2017 Use of Deadly Force by a Salt Lake City Police Department officer in [sic] was legally justified.”

Source: www.cityweekly.net...

Link to to to body cam footage WARNING: it is graphic: www.facebook.com...

In the video, you can hear one of three officers tell Patrick Harmon about his prior warrants and then they proceed to arrest him. Patrick Harmon pleads with them that he doesn't want to go to jail. As one of the officers is placing the handcuffs on him, Harmon escapes and runs off and a foot chase ensues. A few brief moments later, Harmon while still running, is seen turning around towards the officers and an officer yells out, "Stop! I'll ******* shoot you!" and that officer proceeds to shoot Harmon three times. Although not clear in the video, another officer tased Harmon, I'm not sure if if it was before or after he was shot. The officer says, "He got em" and calls in that shots have been fired and should they get medical. Harmon bleeds on the sidewalk moaning and motionless, he is handcuffed, and later is pronounced dead at the hospital.

The shooting is considered a justified use of force by the SLCPD police chief as Harmon was a felon armed with a knife. I've also read that Harmon said he'd cut the officers. I didn't hear that in the video either. I have seen pictures of a knife in the grass, but I can't really verify the source so I won't post it here.

Now my thoughts, I did not hear mention of a knife or a threat in the video, but Harmon did turn around while he was running and something was in his hand. Some people who have watched the footage say it was a knife, others say it was his cigarette. I can't say one way or the other. I do know that running from the police is a terrible idea especially if you have a warrant out for your arrest. Should Harmon have been shot? I can't say. If he was brandishing a knife then perhaps, if he was not then I think there is more of a discussion to be had.

Police have a difficult job and have families to go home to, so I understand this case from their perspective. I also understand it from the people that say he should have just been tased or non-lethal means should have been used.

Then there is the obvious race/demographic argument. Would he have been shot the same way if he were white, Asian, Latino, mixed, a woman, a transgender, homosexual, a little person? Who knows...

I'm starting to ramble now, so I'll end this post... What are your thoughts ATS?

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: majesticgent

And of course no charges for the cop for shooting a guy in the back. BLM has a point.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Dbl post.

That looks like murder to me.
edit on 5-10-2017 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

when will people learn, comply and you wont get hurt. There is nothing you can do, go to jail and get a lawyer. tragic for everyone involved.

did anyone see the video of the actor getting shot when he was doing a scene, they even told the cop it was a movie and he still shot the guy, truly innocent and still gets shot.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

when will people learn, comply and you wont get hurt.

LOL yeah right.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Normally I would agree with you but there are cases of Police officers killing innocents for no reason.

The real problem here is the militarization of the police which Trump didn't addressed but actively encouraged.
edit on 10/5/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

i have had my share of police interactions and never thought i was going to get hurt much less get shot. Just do what they say and don't argue and they have no reason to get upset or whatever.

if he didn't run he wouldn't be dead period

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
if the cop wasnt a huge Pussy and shot him in the back he wouldnt be dead.

But go ahaed and keep your head in the sand. But know this is why BLM exists because people can see a cop shoot a guy in the back and blame the guy.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
According to the report Harmon had active felony warrants and that as he ran he turned toward police officers with a knife and said "I'll cut you".

That doesn't seem to leave a lot of options for the cops at that point, if they don't stop him at that point he could be a danger not only to the police but the public. Say he grabbed another person and held them hostage with the knife?

This looks like a questionable shooting but looking deeper it seems justifiable to me.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

And of course no charges for the cop for shooting a guy in the back. BLM has a point.

No they don't. For one, this is exceptionally rare. For another, they do it to white people far more without any of the fan fare. In fact we ONLY hear about it when it's a black dude. In as far as mass media "coverage" that is. Lastly, black men kill other black men at rates no other groups comes close to except white and we're 65% of the country. If Black lives matter, why are we being lectured on it by people who apparently have very little value in their own people's lives?

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
According to the report Harmon had active felony warrants and that as he ran he turned toward police officers with a knife and said "I'll cut you".

That doesn't seem to leave a lot of options for the cops at that point, if they don't stop him at that point he could be a danger not only to the police but the public. Say he grabbed another person and held them hostage with the knife?

This looks like a questionable shooting but looking deeper it seems justifiable to me.

What do you expect the cops to say in their report? He ran so I shot him? Just watch the video do you see a knife or hear him say Ill cut you?

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Funny I've never ran from multiple stops by police and I'm still living.

Really makes you think.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I don't understand how this is justified at all. I'm left speechless. Even if the man had a knife in his hand, he was running away and was shot in the back. He was not a young man and obviously a smoker. Chase him for a block or two and he would've been exhausted. I just don't get it. It's really sad because in addition to there being a dead man, there's a young, poorly trained cop who is going to have to live with killing a guy. I blame the mayor and police chief. These guys should have better training.

For those who defend this, how come the police in the UK don't need guns? I know we have more guns here, but this guy had a knife. How many people wielding knives in the UK get murdered by the cops? We should expect more.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: HeadCrunchMcRockGroin

No they don't. For one, this is exceptionally rare. For another, they do it to white people far more without any of the fan fare. In fact we ONLY hear about it when it's a black dude. In as far as mass media "coverage" that is. Lastly, black men kill other black men at rates no other groups comes close to except white and we're 65% of the country. If Black lives matter, why are we being lectured on it by people who apparently have very little value in their own people's lives?

He shot him in the back. cmon man.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
When you break the law you have to take it for granted that some of your rights will be taken if and when you are apprehended..

It was not that long ago a fugitive would have a bounty put out as "wanted dead or alive".

We have come along way to where criminals have rights but mistakes can and will happen esp in charged situations like this.

It is just a shame that he had to be in a situation to be wanted in the first place and did not comply, very wasteful way to end your life.

RA

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Me either. But that doesnt make it right to shoot the guy.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
When you run you take the risk. As the officer he has no idea what you might do. Had he just kept running he might not have been shot...or maybe he would have. I will say though turning around was a very bad move as it would be seen as aggressive towards the officers. Their training conditions them to expect an attack in that situation...like the guy pulling a gun to shoot as he ran. If I was the officer I probably wouldn't hesitate too long either because at the end of the day I want to go home not get shot because I hesitated too long.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I am not a cop hater, middle aged white guy who lives in KS mostly right leaning. But this is just stupid you cant just shoot a guy because he runs away.

Why is so hard to just hold them responsible? If a guy robs my house and I shoot him in the back on the way out guess what? Im going to jail.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
They could have just shot him in the leg, but 3 shots to the back??? Granted the guy shouldn't have run away, but this is crazy!

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: HeadCrunchMcRockGroin

I think the fact that they do it to white people all the time means BLM has a point. The cops are never held responsible .

And I can show video after video of cops shooting white teens and being cleared of any wrongdoing. Just because BLM is a black group doesnt mean they dont have a point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join