It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is your most faviorate author of all time?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancienthistorian2
Who is your most favourite author of all time and also explain why you enjoy reading their literature.

Who is yours?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Marcus Aurelius and Stephen King.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
J RR Tolkien
P G Wodehouse
T C Lethbridge

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane
Marcus Aurelius...

I gave that one to Zosi in her 100 best books thread.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I like Flavin.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
john irving.

love the humor.

A Prayer to Owen Meany
Cider House Rules
Hotel New Hampshire
The World According to Garp

and,

Loiusa May Alcott for Little Women.
edit on 1-10-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Tolkien . Need I say why ?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
I have to go with Koontz Because of Watchers and Twilight eyes.

My favorite Koonz were the Chris Snow Stories "Fear no Evil" and ... and "Seize the Night" with another in the works.

Fun and very creepy - hard to beat...

A single favorite author is hard ... it depends on the genre entirely.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: notsure1
I have to go with Koontz Because of Watchers and Twilight eyes.

My favorite Koonz were the Chris Snow Stories "Fear no Evil" and ... and "Seize the Night" with another in the works.

Fun and very creepy - hard to beat...

A single favorite author is hard ... it depends on the genre entirely.

For Literature my all time favorite is Sigird Unsett (not sure of the spelling) "Kristen Lavandsdattar" Nobel prize circa 1927/28 or thereabouts.

For Fantasy Melanie Rawn. Her "The Golden Key" is magnificent....

Hard to beat Robert Heinlein for SciFi (after the juveniles and even those were fun) -

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I read, but not nearly enough to make a scholarly attempt at this. Ive read a variety of classics and a lot of scifi, and a lot of non fiction.

Heres 3 of my favorites.

Philip K Dick for his genius subject matter and plot setups.

Timothy Zahn for his brilliant flow, incise story telling and complex characters.

Hunter S Thompson for his unique entertainment and humor.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ancienthistorian2

Steinbeck. A literary master.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ancienthistorian2

Robert Anton Wilson, because his books fell in my lap at the perfect moment, when I was trying to figure out why what I'd been told about the world didn't add up.

Tom Clancy, for giving me a glimpse of the inside in an entertaining way, which always helped me to see between the lines.

And George R.R. Martin, for obvious reasons.

Those are my top 3 modern writers. The classics would require more thought than i could muster at this hour.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Honore de Balzac.

Balzac wrote 99 books and I have 92 of them!

And their biographies. : )

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
It's a hard call.
Kurt Vonnegut, jr. and Harlan Ellison are neck-in-neck.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

The Green Mile can surely not be loathed? So haunting and beautiful.Even the movie was quite good.I have such a good memory of watching it late one evening with Aunty Kay,a dear elderly friend of mine.From the corner of my eye i saw her wipe away tears when John Coffey was watching the couple dance on screen,his face all lit up with childlike wonder.Michael Clarke Duncan was brilliant as John Coffey,so with him and my beloved Aunty Kay having passed on,i think that movie will always give me the weepies.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Dean Koontz is another big fave of mine.I once sent him a set of African women statuettes i made when i was still doing arts+crafts,and in return he sent me a whole big box of his books,worth over 2K in local currency.A nice man,who seems very awake and aware.Difficult to pick faves,he is a prolific writer and many excellent books.If i absolutely Had to choose some,i would say Phantoms (the first book of his i read) and Watchers,definitely Fear Nothing and sequel Seize the Night..but i am leaving out many other faves too,so many goodly stories from Mr.Koontz.He's a treasure.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Another big fave of mine from Dean Koontz,btw,is The Taking.Totally freaky,thought provoking,i literally found it impossible to put down till the last word.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
A single fav? No way... Jorge Luis Borges ranks up there, Twain, Eco, Robert Anton Wilson ... for sci-fi: Bear, Stephenson, Bacigalupi, Meiville', Niven, Asimov, Clarke ... so many ... Chandler, Vonnegut (when embittered as a teen), Steinbeck, Conan-Doyle... Hmmm realized no women made my list! I should rectify that... well, I did like Ann Rice, too.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
a reply to: denybedoomed

I believe the book its out of is "hope springs eternal"

That's the preface to the story. The book was Different Seasons. One of his best.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
A single fav? No way... Jorge Luis Borges ranks up there, Twain, Eco, Robert Anton Wilson ... for sci-fi: Bear, Stephenson, Bacigalupi, Meiville', Niven, Asimov, Clarke ... so many ... Chandler, Vonnegut (when embittered as a teen), Steinbeck, Conan-Doyle... Hmmm realized no women made my list! I should rectify that... well, I did like Ann Rice, too.

AWESOME list. Borges is totally amazing. I have all his books (I think). You know how they put those paddles on your heart when you are having a heart attack? It's like Borges puts them on your brain. Anyway, I love your list. Also love Ann Rice. Glad you got a female in there afterall!

Another woman is Virginia Woolf. Not so much her actual books, but her diaries and the whole Bloomsbury Group stuff.
I love all that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join