It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Osiris Rex mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hi All

This mission is heading to an asteroid to pick up samples and return them to Earth.

On Sept. 22, NASA’s OSIRIS-REx (Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, and Security – Regolith Explorer) spacecraft will make a close approach to Earth, using the planet’s gravity to slingshot itself toward the asteroid Bennu. Over the course of several days, observatories and amateur astronomers with specialized equipment will be able to see OSIRIS-REx as the spacecraft approaches and retreats from its closest position over Earth, approximately 11,000 miles (17,000 km) above the planet’s surface.

Here is an image Flat Earthers will hate taken just over 800,000 miles from Earth

Link to image below

Earth Moon Image

Link to OSIRIS REx site below

OSIRIS REx

If it returns it will be interesting to see what the samples are like.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Cool...

In August 2018, OSIRIS-REx’s approach to Bennu will begin. It will use an array of small rocket thrusters to match the velocity of Bennu and rendezvous with the asteroid.

The spacecraft will begin a detailed survey of Bennu two months after slowing to encounter Bennu. The process will last over a year, and, as part of it, OSIRIS-REx will map potential sample sites. After the selection of the final site, the spacecraft will briefly touch the surface of Bennu to retrieve a sample. The sampling arm will make contact with the surface of Bennu for about five seconds, during which it will release a burst of nitrogen gas. The procedure will cause rocks and surface material to be stirred up and captured in the sampler head. The spacecraft has enough nitrogen to allow three sampling attempts, to collect between 60 and 2000 grams (2–70 ounces).

Sampler Mission
edit on 30-9-2017 by intrptr because: edaction

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Awesome photo

Although flat earthers will just cry photoshop.. Haha

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008
Here is an image Flat Earthers will hate taken just over 800,000 miles from Earth

I dunno....I see two dinner plate-like disks facing me.

edit on 30/9/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Churchhousecreeper

No they will say " So why are there , Flatcables and the movie flatliners "

No their flat brains can't coop three dimensional space it's called flatnafobia

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008

OOver the course of several days, observatories and amateur astronomers with specialized equipment will be able to see OSIRIS-REx as the spacecraft approaches and retreats from its closest position over Earth, approximately 11,000 miles (17,000 km) above the planet’s surface.

Indeed, I was able to track it with my own equipment and confirm its trajectory towards asteroid Bennu.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Here's the view of Earth taken by Osiris-Rex on the 25th compared with Hinawari-8's view on the same day.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I found a few more

From left to right (top): DSCOVR probe, Hinawari-8, Osiris-Rex
left to right (bottom): Russia 'Elektro', India INSAT-3D, GOES-West

All taken on the same day. The nearest view to the one taken by OSIRIS is that of the DSCOVR probe, the difference being that Osiris-Rex is looking down on Earth with more of the north pole on view.
edit on 3/10/2017 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join