It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about cats peeing...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I did, it sprayed onto the back of the seat. Are you calling me dumb, boy?a reply to: Lurker1

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Heya Silo.

Try this, please.

Move your litter box to a new location. Anywhere within the house. Superclean where the litter box used to be. Use a mixture of clumping and old-fashioned clay-type litter. If you catch your cat spraying, move him physically to the litter box. Don't punish him. He is acting out, and you don't know why he is flexing. If you have a fenced in yard, consider excluding him from the house/apartment when he pisses anywhere besides the litter box. Take him to the site and say "NO!" forcefully, and then put him out. If you are unable to exclude him from the inner sanctum, then it will take longer.

He should be neutered. Even after that, it may take months before he settles down. He's a goo' boy. He just has issues. Like most males.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
a reply to: Liquesence

Nope, no other cats (now).

And the cat before was REALLY CLEAN.

Stressed? This little boy is spoiled like you can't even imagine...i do love him loads and loads.

Clean box.

No UTI - I should have mentioned that in the first post.

Thanks tons!

Scent still lingering from other cats in his bathroom locations could be deterring him or encouraging him to go.

edit on 4-9-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It probably has nothing to do with your situation but be warned about plastic bags and rubber backed rugs.

My Lazarus turn 20 years old in May. Never had a problem with him when he was young, but about 3 years ago he developed this thing about plastic bags and rubber backed rugs.

It was easy to fix. I never leave plastic bags anywhere where he can squat on them, and I don't use rubber backed rugs in my house.

I would definitely have him checked by a Vet. May be a UTI. Try a healthy urinary tact food formula.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
I never knew about this formula but I'm using it anyways and it's working. Both areas are convenient for them. Mostly the male uses the outside or if it's an emergency, the toilet lol

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Everyone has given you some pretty good suggestions except for the spray windex. That was beyond stupid to the tenth power.

I think the first easiest thing to try while you are waiting on vet to neuter etc is just try changing the litter. A lot of cats don't like the scented litter either if you are using that.

Good luck with your little fellow

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Actually, spraying is exactly what he's doing. He's just the right age to start marking his territory. And if you don't use an enzyme cleanse to remove the urine residue, it will remain detectable to his nose no matter how clean you think it smells to yours, and he will continue to spray there even after he's neutered.

Vinegar and baking soda in warm water in a spray bottle will neutralize the ammonia on non-porous surfaces, but for fabric, carpet, wood, etc., you need a special formula for that, which is available at any major pet store. Don't use any cleaning products with ammonia as an active ingredient if you have cats either...that is the ingredient in urine that makes them think it's OK to pee there, and they can smell it for months after we think it's gone.

Until you get him neutered, confine him to one small area. Put his litter box, toys, bed, food, etc. in there with him and keep the door shut. You can't stop him from spraying because he can't help it, but you can definitely contain the problem and minimize the cleanup by giving him less territory that he feels obligated to mark. Give him more space, and he'll find even more places to pee. That's how cats are...and some of them never outgrow the habit because their owners either neglect to get them fixed or don't know how to clean up after them properly, or a combination of both.

Keep him confined in a space that's easy to keep sanitized until you get him fixed...which you can do at the three month mark, so there's no reason to wait...and after he's recovered from surgery, expand his territory a bit every couple of days until he's integrated back into the household without those hormones making him want to put his scent all over everything. Some kittens never spray, but most of them start doing it between 4-6 months...females sometimes do it too.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Get a female cat, they are much better in the house.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It's funny you say that.

For years, we had three male cats who shared the house just fine with each other. We had no issues until a lone female adopted us. Then all of a sudden, one developed a spraying issue.

Once we got that under control by re-arranging the territories inside, things were great again. We even adopted another young female.

Then, one day, the last geriatric old male died, and the two females suddenly started trying to kill each other! It was like a world war had broken out. We're talking blood!

Then we brought a male back into the house ... all of a sudden, there was peace again.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Believe me,as a lifelong cat owner, i can tell you some can be quite diabolically spiteful.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I live this. I rescue cats and try to find good homes-it's easier with kittens so I still have the mama. I also have four other cats-they don't like each other so they started peeing and pooping everywhere-a real nightmare. All animals are fixed.

At this point, we keep the cats separated by who gets along with who and have litter boxes, kept very clean, everywhere. Full time job. A labor of love.

By the way, my two rescue dogs go outside and are ok. One hates all cats tough so that's always an issue.

No one is allowed any free roaming around the house. I will have to get new carpet as it is. I have tried every thing possible to get rid of smells and stains-it's gonna be new carpet.

I feel like I run a rescue day/night care. These are animals, some with issues, that no one would adopt.

My next house will provide outside areas with their own door up high for kitties only and a dog door for the dogs only.

I need a new life This one is exhausting me.
edit on 5-9-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I have a friend and his roomate's cat would constantly pee on his clothes and belongings. So he grabbed the cat and peed on him. Guess what? No more cat piss on my friends stuff. Fast forward to a few years ago when my wife brought home a male kitten. He started doing the same. So I pissed on him. And no b/s it worked! Dominance...

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I've had 14 cats over my lifetime. I've only had one that had a box issue. I fixed it by moving the boxes to the finished part of the basement. He didn't like the laundry room.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: txjab512
I have a friend and his roomate's cat would constantly pee on his clothes and belongings. So he grabbed the cat and peed on him. Guess what? No more cat piss on my friends stuff. Fast forward to a few years ago when my wife brought home a male kitten. He started doing the same. So I pissed on him. And no b/s it worked! Dominance...

This is really sick.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lurker1
I've had 14 cats over my lifetime. I've only had one that had a box issue. I fixed it by moving the boxes to the finished part of the basement. He didn't like the laundry room.

Makes sense actually.

Common though process in most cat behavior sessions at any of the conventions or by behaviorist is finding a location where your cat feels safe, can see all approach points meaning nothing can approach it from behind, follow the 1 + 1 rule, dont change litter too often, don't used closed in litter boxes and dont bunch them together.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

don't used closed in litter boxes and dont bunch them together.

That is interesting. I only have one cat, and as I said, he is an old one. His hearing is super sharp but his vision is bad. He also has an enlarged heart and is on Lasix daily, so we have an open liter box on the porch and a closed in litter box in his room.

If he has the ability, he will forego the open box for the closed in one. I don't think he likes to be watched when he does his business. If I peek in, he will yell at me.

edit on 5-9-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Yep. Stop locking him in the room with the litter box. They don't like it and he's being spiteful. I would be angry too!

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: timidgal

He's got a box I keep extra clean, with a low lip and I keep him in one room at night but the second he can?

It can read like silo is locking him up in the litter room, but I'm not sure that is the case. If he is being locked in there, there's the problem solved

edit on 5-9-2017 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

don't used closed in litter boxes and dont bunch them together.

That is interesting. I only have one cat, and as I said, he is an old one. His hearing is super sharp but his vision is bad. He also has an enlarged heart and is on Lasix daily, so we have an open liter box on the porch and a closed in litter box in his room.

If he has the ability, he will forego the open box for the closed in one. I don't think he likes to be watched when he does his business. If I peek in, he will yell at me.

The logic there is with a cats sense of smell being strong that a closed in litter box can cause them issues.
This is more of a problem in multi-cat homes vs a single cat assuming normal upkeep of a closed box in a single cat home of course.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: Lurker1

Makes sense actually.

Common though process in most cat behavior sessions at any of the conventions or by behaviorist is finding a location where your cat feels safe, can see all approach points meaning nothing can approach it from behind, follow the 1 + 1 rule, dont change litter too often, don't used closed in litter boxes and dont bunch them together.

Closed litter boxes are stupid. They're not for the cat. They're for the lazy human.

One box per cat. Clean and change often. Multiple cats? Spread out the boxes so they've got plenty of room. Have stuff they can climb on and hide in. Play with them every day. Change the water at least every day. I usually change it three times per day.

I've got an elderly cat who's on a high-cal diet, so I change it every time I give him the high-cal food.

Cats are wonderful pets and so easy to take care of. I love them to death. Every one of them was an individual and sooo funny.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join