It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sacked model: 'All white people benefit from racism'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Hm, this study came to some interesting conclusions:

When people are "faced with evidence that their group benefits from privilege," the study's authors write, they not only fail to take responsibility for such benefits, but find those claims "threatening" and even "claim hardships to manage this threat." Essentially, white people may accept that "group-level inequity" exists but deny that they personally benefit from that privilege in order to protect their own self-conception.

Link

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Lol you don't think Bush is as much a textbook example? I would say even more so than Trump.

Anyway in regards to the thread,i have to say,as a pisspoor white South African child growing up in apartheid South Africa..it does not matter how white you are,if you were poor and from the wrong side of the tracks,there was zero privilege to be had.And in my country today,being white can be a death sentence.Whether you are rich,poor or somewhere inbetween.So i never felt or saw any privilege,back then or now.Whites are second class citizens here,and we may well face genocide in the foreseeable future.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

History can bite you on the ass.
Even when you had nothing to do with it.

Personally.

Works 2 ways, don't it?
edit on 9/5/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

"Majority culture" is the same thing as that "white culture" we all have when it's convenient for us to be told we have it, but that we are never allowed to claim because if we did, it would be racist.

In truth, it doesn't exist because it's simply American culture and it belongs to anyone who claims it no matter their race, but plenty of people reject it because they think it would be "acting white" or "selling out" to do so. And it wouldn't be terrible if they did, but they need to make sure the culture they do adopt is one that makes them successful. The one they have now does not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join