It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sacked model: 'All white people benefit from racism'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:
(post by norhoc removed for a manners violation)
(post by Abysha removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Really? I am not stating fact? Genetics and Biology are not facts? If you think that then there is no debating with you as you don't deal with reality. So, Good day, I will cease to reply to anything you say.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

With all due respect; you appear to write in a very educated and even elegant, eloquent manner yet under deeper scrutiny you don't actually be saying anything of substantiated substance.

It all seems like hyperbole to me.

Now I know this is the USA and I live in the UK but these sort of things seem to becoming more common everywhere nowadays.
I know a reasonable amount of Black people, they all think people who speak and act like this are complete morons spouting utter bollocks.

I have to wonder who is pushing this retarded, PC driven nonsensical agenda on us all?
And whose interests does it serve?

Caertainly not your normal, everyday Black person that's for certain!

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Reminder:
This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

Community Announcement re: Decorum
We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: Denoli

No BS covers it fairly well!

She (he) is just pissed because she (he) really does look like a guy in a wig. Rudy Guliani laughs at him (her).

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Now I know this is the USA and I live in the UK but these sort of things seem to becoming more common everywhere nowadays.
I know a reasonable amount of Black people, they all think people who speak and act like this are complete morons spouting utter bollocks.

I have to wonder who is pushing this retarded, PC driven nonsensical agenda on us all?
And whose interests does it serve?

Caertainly not your normal, everyday Black person that's for certain!

Forgive me for butting in. The thing about news stories is that they have to be, by definition, unusual. So we get a skewed sample of "PC" stories before we've even opened our daily papers.

And the big factor in all this is that Britain's press is monolithically right-wing. Even the one broadsheet considered to be leftwing (The Guardian) is soft centre-left and so a good deal further to the right than most Labour voters.

The right-wing press have a vested interest in giving disproportionate coverage to bizarre stories about "political correctness" because they confirm (for the readership) that the left wing of politics is populated by cranks and oddballs with far-out ideas, and to be avoided.

This is why we have a never-ending freakshow of "PC gone mad!" stories that captivate our attention for a week or so before being succeeded by another. The faces and scenery change, but the theme is constant. You will never find serious (let alone rational) discussion of left-wing policies in the press.

The only question is whether the rightwing press set out to do this deliberately, or whether it happens naturally because their staff are already right-wing. I suppose it might not be an either/or situation.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

With all due respect;

Side-note: You are one of the few members who, when they say "with all due respect", they mean it.

As to the rest of what you wrote? It's hyperbole on both sides. My only point is that saying somebody benefits from an injustice isn't the same as saying they promote (or even agree) with that injustice.

In the US, all non-Native Americans benefit from their genocide. It doesn't mean we like that it happened and most of us will verbally rebuke those horrors as the horrors they were. But we benefit from it, none-the-less. What she said was no more controversial as that, in my eyes.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

I don't see how anything she said is even remotely as charged as the things we've heard from our president.

So many white people I know take any spotlight on racism as a personal attack. Stating "all white people benefit from racism" doesn't mean that "all white people are racists".

Therein lies the problem.

Here are her exact words:

"Honestly I don't have energy to talk about the racial violence of white people any more. Yes ALL white people," Bergdorf wrote in the post. "Because most of ya'll don't even realise or refuse to acknowledge that your existence, privilege and success as a race is built on the backs, blood and death of people of colour. Your entire existence is drenched in racism. From micro-aggressions to terrorism, you guys built the blueprint for this s***."

Link.

She accused "ALL" white people of racial violence..."their entire existence drenched in racism." Apparently, white people "invented" racism.

If your argument is the one you made for her, shouldn't she have said just that? Something along the lines of..."Whites don't appreciate how even if they have never committed a racist act in their lives themselves, they have benefited from racist institutions and a history of white supremacy in Western culture. All whites have a responsibility to fix that."

I doubt she would have been fired over that.

The standard you use here is a strange one....and frankly, the fact that you feel the need to explain her words could be interpreted as a little racist too. This black woman needs a white person to help explain what she meant?

See how that works?

edit on 4-9-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

I don't see how anything she said is even remotely as charged as the things we've heard from our president.

So many white people I know take any spotlight on racism as a personal attack. Stating "all white people benefit from racism" doesn't mean that "all white people are racists".

Therein lies the problem.

Here are her exact words:

"Honestly I don't have energy to talk about the racial violence of white people any more. Yes ALL white people," Bergdorf wrote in the post. "Because most of ya'll don't even realise or refuse to acknowledge that your existence, privilege and success as a race is built on the backs, blood and death of people of colour. Your entire existence is drenched in racism. From micro-aggressions to terrorism, you guys built the blueprint for this s***."

Link.

She accused "ALL" white people of racial violence..."their entire existence drenched in racism." Apparently, white people "invented" racism.

If your argument is the one you made for her, shouldn't she have said just that? Something along the lines of..."Whites don't appreciate how even if they have never committed a racist act in their lives themselves, they have benefited from racist institutions and a history of white supremacy in Western culture? All whites have a responsibility to fix that."

I doubt she would have been fired over that.

The standard you use here is a strange one....and frankly, the fact that you feel the need to explain her words could be interpreted as a little racist too. This black woman needs a white person to help explain what she meant?

See how that works?

I get that. And her last line, especially, was entering the land of going too far. What this thread focused on, though, was her corrected statement of "white people benefit from racism".

Her original statement isn't something I can agree with anymore than I can agree when certain SJW folk say "black people can't be racist". But pointing out the fact that white people benefit from racism is not being racist.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It isn't possible to benefit from racism. With racism, everyone loses. Proof is, she lost her job for being racist.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

But pointing out the fact that white people benefit from racism is not being racist.

No it's not.

But where is the source that indicates she changed her statement to 'All white people benefit from racism', because in the interview I posted above, she was unwilling to retract her words.

Also, if she misspoke, are you willing to give her a pass? And would that same standard apply to any of Trump's statements you claim are far more charged than hers? Just askin'...

In fact, it would be nice for you to identify any of his statements you think go beyond what this woman said.

edit on 4-9-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

"Whites don't appreciate how even if they have never committed a racist act in their lives themselves, they have benefited from racist institutions and a history of white supremacy in Western culture? All whites have a responsibility to fix that."

If she said that, this would be a non issue. I like yours much better.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

But pointing out the fact that white people benefit from racism is not being racist.

No it's not.

But where is the source that indicates she changed her statement to 'All white people benefit from racism', because in the interview I posted above, she was unwilling to retract her words.

Also, if she misspoke, are you willing to give her a pass? And would that same standard apply to any of Trump's statements you claim are far more charged than hers? Just askin'...

In fact, it would be nice for you to identify any of his statements you think go beyond what this woman said.

It's literally the title of the thread. It's also the only line I've referred to in my posts.

I'm defending that statement, not the woman who said it.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

The title appears to be wrong...and dare I say it, fake.

I can't find any evidence she replaced her words with that phrase.

I thought this thread was about what she actually wrote...not a watered down restatement of the same.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

The title appears to be wrong...and dare I say it, fake.

I can't find any evidence she replaced her words with that phrase.

I thought this thread was about what she actually wrote...not a watered down restatement of the same.

If that's true, we were both duped. Bummer.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Fair enough.

Aside from the broad brush you used to paint Trump, I doubt we disagree very much on race issues.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

Benefit by not being targeted as minorities are by cops, store clerks, etc, for looking like a "thug" or a "dindu nuffin" or just simply looking ethnic.
Benefit by a majority culture from advertising, non stereotypical attitudes towards them, etc.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I'm one of those white folk who have had all of that happen at one time or another...sometimes many times.

I'm 6'4", I weigh in the neighborhood of 280 lbs, beyond shoulder length hair, mostly gray now dammit, beard, and I've lost count of the number of times I've had store clerks, cops, etc... follow me about. I'm also something of a pagan. I'm a gun owner several times over, I'm also a somewhat conservative democrat--yes, that's a thing, look it up--so I fit very few of those stereotypes being foisted off on me

It's not always a racial thing, folks...most of the time it's an ass hole thing.

...and what the Hell does "majority culture" mean, anyway? Is that the same thing as "white privilege"? If it's even remotely related, I've never experienced it in my life, thanks.

Frankly, I'm as tired of the stereotyping of whites, as I am of people of color, or member of differing religions, or people with hobbies some don't approve of, being a gun owner, I've run into that, too...I'm paranoid, don't you know? I'd just as soon people keep their damned opinions of what I am, or what I'm supposed to be, behind their tongues.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

IMO that's the message the model is trying to say here or along the lines of. I've been targeted in stores just being in the wrong neighborhood not appearing as a typical store goer. Indeed this does happen without race, can be a holes targeting people as well, or just a jerky store owner categorizing everyone because being burned by all groups-ran into lots of those. Tough, I'm sure have been pulled over less being white compared to non white people I knew in the area.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join