It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walter Becker, Steely Dan Guitarist, Dies at 67

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Another rock musician has died....joining an ever-growing group to leave us.

RIP....another great one gone.

Walter Becker, guitarist, bassist and co-writer for the sophisticated, dark-humored band Steely Dan, has died. He was 67.

The news was confirmed by a post on Becker’s personal website. No cause of death was announced.

The more retiring full-term member of the group, Becker was partnered with singer-keyboardist and co-writer Donald Fagen on a string of jazzy, sleekly produced singles and albums that ruled the charts during the ‘70s. After a protracted hiatus, “the Dan” returned to popularity in the ‘90s; their 2000 album “Two Against Nature” collected four Grammys, including one for album of the year.

www.msn.com...

Becker had missed two recent Steely Dan performances, according to Billboard. At the time, the group's lead vocalist and keyboardist Donald Fagen told Billboard Becker was "recovering from a procedure and hopefully he'll be fine very soon."

time.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
R.I.P. to great talent !

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
"Reelin in the Years"
RIP Becker

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
R.I.P. Walter. Reelin' In The Years is a real classic, original, professional, progression of a piece of music, as a long-time bass player, and the last 20 years or so as a lead player I can can easily appreciate all that goes into a song like that, and spent some time working on the double solo phrases on the guitar, not easy when trying to get the sound, and the notes, as you try to compensate when you are the sole lead player, as well as the vocal harmony.

The BBC covered the passing tonight with Steely Dan playing live somewhere, possibly TOGWT and it was a good old sound. Sad.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
"Aja" stays in my regularly rotating playlist. That album right there is definitely a desert island record. It's so well written and produced and recorded and engineered and perfected... AND... AND! It has Mr. Chuck Rainey tricking Mr. Fagan and Mr. Becker into accepting a take of slap bass (although with flats) without knowing it.

"Yeah, no slapping the bass!"

"OK."

*turns away, slaps the bass*

"Man, that sounds great! How'd you get that sound?"

*smirks*

"Mmm hmm."

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
"Any major dude..." RIP.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I guess we'll know in about 20 years if he got reincarnated , there'll be some good music again...

edit on 3-9-2017 by Tellurian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
Love Steely Dan. Rest in peace Walter...

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
They were a band many hated,but I loved them,very good songs to listen to,RIP

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
One of my all time favorite bands, been listening to them for over 40 yrs, amazing musicians that made timeless music.

R.I.P. Walter.

new topics

top topics

join