It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force issues Category One deficiency on KC-46 after boom scrapes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The Air Force has found a higher incidence of boom scraping on receiver aircraft refueling from the KC-46. The incidents weren't noticed during the actual refueling, but were found during post flight analysis. The concern is that the scraping will damage stealth coatings, and contaminate the boom. There have been incidents of booms scraping on receivers almost from the beginning of in flight refueling, but it's higher with the KC-46.

The KC-46 uses a virtual boom station, instead of having the boom operator under the tail controlling the boom. Whatever the problem is, Boeing is responsible for fixing it on their own dime.

The U.S. Air Force is investigating multiple instances of scrapes on aircraft caused during mid-air refueling performed by Boeing Co.’s new KC-46 tanker.

So far, the damage caused by the fuel probe that connects the tanker with other aircraft has been minor, according to a service statement and program documents. But it’s worrying enough that the Air Force issued a top-level “Category One” deficiency report on May 1 after it discovered the damage during post-test flight analysis of video and data.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well this the problems you get when you make stealth coatings out of household products, come to me and get some epoxy coat with a hard wear no slip no scratch industrial products
waterproofing too, hit me up!

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Reaction speeds an issue between operator and what happens at the boom end.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Another issue with the KC-46 is the autopilot disconnect warning horn. Under a Part 25 rule amendment in 2006, the aircraft must have a "distinct" aural and visual warning for all crew members when the autopilot is disconnected. On all models of Boeing aircraft, except the 787, if you push the autopilot disconnect twice within 0.3 seconds it silences the horn. Boeing has filed for an exemption, but the FAA is still reviewing it.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Another issue with the KC-46 is the autopilot disconnect warning horn. Under a Part 25 rule amendment in 2006, the aircraft must have a "distinct" aural and visual warning for all crew members when the autopilot is disconnected. On all models of Boeing aircraft, except the 787, if you push the autopilot disconnect twice within 0.3 seconds it silences the horn. Boeing has filed for an exemption, but the FAA is still reviewing it.

I'd prefer a rumble chair. If the autopilot is on, the chair has a slight rumble vibration. If the autopilot is off, then the chair is stationary. A bit like the way you know all the wheels of your car are on the ground by the way you feel the friction through the chair.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Boeing released an image of a KC-46, refueling another KC-46, checking off another milestone. The image also shows how the depth perception can easily create a situation where the boom will scrape the receiver.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Still agree with you that a boom pod should have been installed I can't imagine trying to refuel something on a monitor if it starts tripping out or has a signal issue.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
They never should have tried to reinvent the wheel, I do not blame Boeing this I place completely on incompetent leadership in the USAF.

Edit: When I was on the 135 every jet I worked on was from the 1950's, that sq got invited on a regular basis to Rimpac for a reason.
edit on 14-10-2017 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join