It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disaster Relief Fund Raising - Do Non-Charity Corporations Get Some Of Our Cash Donation?.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
August 31, 2017

Yesterday, our family went to RedCross.org and made a donation to the hurricane Harvey relief fund.

But today I noticed on local Chicago television, that Channel 7 was cutting in to regular programming periodically, raising funds for Hurricane Harvey victims. It was an effort sponsored by Disney, ABC Network, Local ABC-7, and the Chicago Red Cross.

Live cut-ins during ABC 7 Chicago newscasts, and throughout the broadcast day, encouraged viewers to support the relief effort by donating online at redcross.org/abc, via their mobile phone by texting the word HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation, or by calling (855) 999-GIVE (999-4483).

At the end of the in-studio telethon at 10:35 p.m. tonight, more than $4.2 million had been donated to the Red Cross in Chicago.

Full Article Here: abc7chicago.com...

When donating through these corporations, how much of every $1 (one dollar) actually reaches a victim in need? I remember a company called United Way, that got into serious trouble for skimming +30% of all donations, back in the 1990's. It seems that if you have Disney/ABC/Channel-7 involved, the entirety of your cash donation WILL NOT make it to the target charity that's helping the victims.

Do corporations put their profit interests on the back-burner, when helping with disaster relief efforts? They're not skimming, or getting kick-backs?

-CareWeMust

p.s. FYI.. When you first Google Search "Red Cross" to find their website, the top search result is strange. It says Red Cross, but there are hundreds of little letters, symbols and numbers after it. The donation page is different too. Could be a scammer that's paying Google to list their site. (Says that it's an "Ad")

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Next to very little gets through to those who need the money
Even worse, an ex special services mate of mine has worked for a few charity agencies in the ME and surrounds on over $150,000.00 per year salary, as a charity worker/spy for the government

Not that I would know or would say but, its pretty bloody obvious he isnt working just for the chrity agency

When it comes to providing funds for charity, I recon you give it to the Clintons. They really care about people

Search "charity ratings" systems
edit on 1-9-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I saw a top Red Cross spokeswoman on TV. She said that if the gift is for Harvey relief specifically, then .91/dollar goes straight for food/water/meds/clothing/cots etc.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I absolutely refuse to donate to charity organisations.

Every penny of that money is donated with good intentions of it helping those in crisis. But hidden behind the 'charity' stage curtain is a gauntlet of vultures waiting to take telephone-number salaries from it before they pass it on to the next vulture. The people it was intended for end up with dust on chump-change if they're lucky.

These days my rule of thumb is - if it's being portrayed by the media/authorities as a good thing/deed, in reality it's bad. And vice-versa.

Too many vultures wearing angel masks for my liking.

Don't donate. It will force govt to use your tax money to help Americans in crisis and do something good for once, instead of spending it on bombs and death and destruction.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I used to own a 501(c) charity with 2 other women. We created a club of 65 people for raising money for animals rescues. And I can tell you that every penny we raised, we gave back.....100%. We all had other jobs and every expense we paid out of our pockets not the fund money. To us, this was our hobby and not our job, and We could not justify using the money to pay for anything other then the animals in need. ....HOWEVER, charity organizations are only required by law to give back a certain percentage of what they take in . It used to be 6 % ( if I remember correctly ) and the rest is allowed to be used with in the organization for other expenses. Like payroll, travel, equipment, etc.....That is why big organizations like Clinton foundation and wounded warrior are questioned , because The public realizes the big CEO payrolls vs the actual amount used to help their cause. .....if you ever want to know how much money any charity actually donates back ,and where every penny is spent within their organization....Google " Charity Navigator " . They break down every legally registered charity organization. Their website shows you the percentage given back , the amount of payroll , the cost of expenses , and the percentage used elsewhere.... And they even have a pie chart for easy viewing. ...it's a great website if you want to know who your donating too.
edit on 1-9-2017 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I read an article yesterday that Linda Sarsour ( radical women's march organizer who I really don't like ) is asking for donations for hurricane Harvey . She is pushing the donate agenda to her cause,a nd it all sounds good from her tweets....BUT , not one penny she raises will actually be used for water, clothing, housing,or any direct relief to victims....she is actually redirecting the funds into a political pac in Texas, that is going to use the money to push for more laws . So basically all the money she raises will be used to pay her political affiliates payroll, and Not to donate for food or water. ...And legally she can say they used 6% or more to push the political agendas that were on their mission page on their website.....UGh !!! She is the prime example of who you don't want to donate to. ...I hope she gets arrested for fraud or something because I really despise her.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
ya lose half your money with the womens breast cancer group....they spend on lawers to protect their pink ribbon logo rights they think they own.....

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Komen's March for the Cure doesn't hide anything either. They are required to make financial filings public so you can find their IRS forms on the website. If you do a little math, you'll see how much money (millions) goes to "salary" and then how many full-time, perm employees they have (a couple of hundred).
Pretty disgusting. Not the fact that barely and of their monies collected go towards the cause but that people, even when told about these shennanigans, continue to support and donate.

P.T. Barnum would be proud

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
TXRabbit...cool handle .....and many donators walk that 60 miles.....wear ya out......if youre in Dallas, im thinking you used to spin em for us on KLIF 1190....grew up on that....

a reply to: TXRabbit

edit on 1-9-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-9-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

IIRC up to 80% can be taken by the charity and be a non profit still. In the end most of the time very little to none makes it to victims.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

And of the money that does go to the 'cure' how much goes to big pharm.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

I agree, there is definitely a lot of bad things that are not reported when people give money to try and help.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Add the public figures that are known to the unknown. For instance, the Red Cross doesn't do background checks on their volunteers. I know a couple of grifters who regularly volunteer for these missions. They are given literally thousands of WalMart gift cards. They hand out a few to the people there but they keep enough to support them until their next "mission" comes along. They even boast about their "vacations" where they are kept up with food and housing, even have their laundry done at the expense of the Red Cross.
Both of these people have multiple felony convictions for financial crimes but are allowed to continue this scam despite being advised by the local district attorney.

On the other hand, the charity with which I'm affiliated requires a yearly background check for each volunteer.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
i used to work for oxfam, stopped supporting charities after i saw the money taken for 'overheads'.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
In the end your question in the title can always be answered yes.

Because construction companies and their attached workforce won´t do it for free, most of the times. So yes.

top topics

join