It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discarded Banana Peel Causes Racial Hysteria at Ole Miss

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: moringa

Yes, we get it. Because you are marginalized and therefore a victim of life, the universe, and everything, you live in a dark universe where everyone just spends all their time looking for ways to make you feel bad. So you imagine that everyone you run across who is not marginalized instantly notices your marginalized status and automatically looks down on your and does everything they can create all kinds of sleights to make sure you *know* you're a marginalized human being.

It could be something as blatant as using a racial slur or as subtle as throwing a banana peel in a tree ...

Of course, it could also be that a good portion of these perceived sleights are created in your own mind because you simply expect to see them because you walk around the world with a ginormous chip on your shoulder.

I'm not going to tell you there aren't racists or bigots, but I will tell you they wear all kinds of skin and always have.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Oh wow, This is awesome. If the argument of sanity through logic fails, humor and self revelation through embarrassment can show the light.

Hit the turbo on the stupid! Full speed sideways! Brace for takeoff!

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
1.) During a Greek Life event, a frat boy on campus is walking around eating a banana...after he eats it, he can't find a trash can...so he tosses the peel in a nearby tree.

2.) Later, three black Ole Miss students, walking by, see the peel hanging from the tree.

3.) Guess what happens next (HINT: it involves racism)

The Daily Mississippian described what happened:

"The massive discussion session wrapped up as more and more students stood and left the room - some in tears, some in frustration. NPHC members began texting friends to come and pick them up from the camp since no one had been allowed to drive his or her car up to the retreat. The remainder of the retreat was canceled later that night," the newspaper reported.

thedmonline.com...

There is a raging controversy within the University of Mississippi’s Greek Life community regarding race relations and bananas.

A Greek Life leader accidentally sparked mass hysteria after he placed a banana peel on a tree in the woods -- because he could not find a trash can.

The Daily Mississippian reports that three black students found the banana peel -- and were apparently triggered by what they saw.

"To be clear, many members of our community were hurt, frightened, and upset," the interim director of fraternity and sorority life wrote in a letter obtained by the newspaper.

The president of one sorority told the newspaper that "bananas have historically been used to demean black people."

townhall.com...

Fortunately, the offending banana-eating student has apologized for his insensitivity.

How would the guy who put it in the tree know it was going to be seen by some black people?

Honestly it's pathetic, you can read insults into anything if you try hard enough:

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Ok. So after reading the article I see the problem. Let's review.

She said the image was especially disturbing in light of an incident on American University’s campus in May of this year. The morning Taylor Dumpson was to take over as the school’s first female black student government president, students found bananas hanging from nooses across campus. Some of the bananas were inscribed with references to Dumpson’s sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha.

So at that University, there was an incident involving some asshats hanging bananas from nooses.

Now this news is starting to make some sense.

I shouldn't have to say this but congratulations for actually reading the article/situation and taking a second to question the veracity of the OP/headline claims.

It should be basic common sense but somehow most others in the thread failed to do basic fact checking or reading and instead were guilty of just the thing they claim to oppose; some even used it as an excuse to be racist.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Hmmmm.... a banana peel as a method of triggering.

Hope those three students found a safe place where the points of their snowflakes didn't melt.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

So because someone hung a bunch of bananas, finding a banana peel in a tree is automatically related absent any other evidence?

That's like saying that because people once made exaggerated racial depictions of blacks eating watermelon, anytime you see a white person eating watermelon around black people that it must be a racial incident.

Oh wait ... one obviously deranged black man did that and ended up shooting his white coworkers live on the air.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
What the white equivalent?

A box of soggy saltines moving non rhythmically?

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
2nd post brought to you by privilege.

The Off-White Kind.
edit on 3-9-2017 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No, I'm simply pointing out the glaring gap in the story and fact no one on here knows what really went on. It could be innocent, it could be sinister, there's simply not enough evidence to back up the story. There's a basic rule in the newsroom that stories like this are two good to check out and the inverted pyramid of news is used to filter bias of the paper. The copy writen up fits all too well into the current trend of the current news cycle that something is clearly amiss here.

The absense of evidence and failure to question the liegitimacy of either side of the story and take it at face value has been taken at face value and been used as a means of hyperbolic disdain and ridiculous claims based on people's pre-concieved notions of 'reality' around them.

I'm not taking either side - I'm witholding my opinion until more evidence comes to fruition (bananas are a herb so not a bad pun) as I don't want to make an idiot of myself or buy into unproven propaganda.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: burdman30ott6

It's hard for me to take you seriously when you can't even bring yourself to call out overt racism in this thread. You care about real racist things? Here you go:

originally posted by: trollz

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

How are these students going to survive in the real world if they are driven to tears over something like this?

They won't. They'll remain jobless, live off welfare, have multiple children outside of marriage, and then claim the evil white people held them back.

Now's your chance.

Why would you care if it's racist or not? Coming from someone that's constantly insulting people with your condescending and demeaning names and remarks, I wouldn't think you'd have a horse in this race seeing you do exactly what you call others on.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Holy hell...

Those 3 black students need to understand that racism is everywhere. They need to come to terms with it and move on.

As a person of asian descent, I have experienced racism everywhere. Do I protest it (like that'll stop it) or riot (that just fuels more racism), no.

I understand people are dicks. If people can't come to terms with that...you will have a sad life.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Is it ageism if you throw a prune at an old guy?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Was this banana in a noose? Any racial remarks on it?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ChuckNasty

My wife, not a US citizen, Asian, finds this ridiculous.

She obviously can't vote, but if she could, she would have voted Trump, and still would today, in large part because of crap like this.
edit on 4-9-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Did anyone ever hear this story from a real news site to confirm it actually happened???

I find when something sounds too crazy for a real life person to do.. the story usually isn't true..

This sounds like something someone made on a click bait site that never actually happened..

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Actually, I just went and googled this story and there is no local or accredited news source running it..

Not even Fox News..

Atleast not in the first 3 pages of google search results..

It is all obscure conservative conspiracy sites..

Has anyone seen this from an actual news source.. or did y'all get duped by a fake story.. as usual???

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

My thoughts exactly..

If you google it, not even fox is running this story..

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join