It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discarded Banana Peel Causes Racial Hysteria at Ole Miss

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: projectvxn

Fortunately, the offending banana-eating student has apologized for his insensitivity.

He should apologize for littering. That's far more offensive than the emotionally retarded sensibilities of the three who were offended.

Well a banana peel isn't real littering. It's pure biodegradable.

Plastic, paper, metals, glass, etc, are more important to worry about.

Totally.
This banana-eater is less a racist, than he is an environmentalist.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
1.) During a Greek Life event, a frat boy on campus is walking around eating a banana...after he eats it, he can't find a trash can...so he tosses the peel in a nearby tree.

2.) Later, three black Ole Miss students, walking by, see the peel hanging from the tree.

3.) Guess what happens next (HINT: it involves racism)

The Daily Mississippian described what happened:

"The massive discussion session wrapped up as more and more students stood and left the room - some in tears, some in frustration. NPHC members began texting friends to come and pick them up from the camp since no one had been allowed to drive his or her car up to the retreat. The remainder of the retreat was canceled later that night," the newspaper reported.

thedmonline.com...

There is a raging controversy within the University of Mississippi’s Greek Life community regarding race relations and bananas.

A Greek Life leader accidentally sparked mass hysteria after he placed a banana peel on a tree in the woods -- because he could not find a trash can.

The Daily Mississippian reports that three black students found the banana peel -- and were apparently triggered by what they saw.

"To be clear, many members of our community were hurt, frightened, and upset," the interim director of fraternity and sorority life wrote in a letter obtained by the newspaper.

The president of one sorority told the newspaper that "bananas have historically been used to demean black people."

townhall.com...

Fortunately, the offending banana-eating student has apologized for his insensitivity.

Let me get this straight: They were upset and almost destroyed as human beings. Because of a banana peel.

In a tree. Without any accompanying poster with racial slurs.

Imagine if he had been sucking down a water melon? He'd been in jail for murder before he could spit out the pips.

Can someone please rewind this particular universe to a point where everyone weren't batdung crazy?
edit on 1-9-2017 by Uberdoubter because: Typo.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

No, he didnt remove the plastic sticker from it.

They might have at least waited a day or two for it to turn brown.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Jiggly

I am fully expecting this to be outed as fake.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It probably was a purposeful act.

We're supposed to give him a pass because the level of offense was small?

How is this different than graffiti or egging a house in its sentiment? It's not.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CarlsBad

How is this different than graffiti or egging a house in its sentiment? It's not.

So he's probably a racist...Why?...Because he's white?

Upon what evidence do you base his guilt?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Its biodegradeable and they were in the woods. Its not littering, its fertilizer...so he didnt even do THAT wrong.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CarlsBad

It was definitely purposeful. He ate the banana on purpose, and intentionally left it there. The act is 100% purposeful.

The only racists though are the black people who were devastated, because their first inclination was race.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
well its good to know these snowflakes will never grace our Australian shores , queensland , full of bananas , bloody millions of em . Thank god .

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Better be careful, you may have to cut them all down to appease people someday. Don't let it happen to you.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Better be careful, you may have to cut them all down to appease people someday. Don't let it happen to you.

Not likely . It was a bloody banana peel for christs sake . What the bloody hell are they going to say if they see one in a bin or tossed in the mulch pile .or good lord buried in the tip . Best i finish before i get banned for T&Cs .

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Welcome to america, EVERYTHING is an aggression against black people. If you can't really prove it just call it a micro-aggression. Damn those white devils.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
And they think CNN is fake news lol.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
double post
edit on 2-9-2017 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
And they think CNN is fake news lol.

Not sure I understand, are you saying this is fake news and didn't happen?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The arrogance of "intellectuals" on this site is at most, entertaining.

It is quite easy to distinguish marginalized members from non-marginalized members, by reading some of these replies. That being said, marginalized members like myself, must speak-up. The issue isn't three whiny black kids. The issue is the condition, that led to this event. But to have "adults" leave condescending remarks, that downplay the seriousness of the situation is not okay.

A non-marginalized population will never have the capacity to understand what the marginalized population has to live with and vice versa. Or maybe I'm giving too much credit to all these "educated" folks out here.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: moringa

I wish I could see the intellect in most of these post.

What I see being expressed here, and not so covertly, has little to do with intellect.
edit on 2-9-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
This is actually my defense mechanism, if I am in a situation where I must escape, I shoot bananas, people yell racism, then they slip and I make my exit.

Why are black people always chasing you?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: moringa that downplay the seriousness of the situation is not okay.

Please explain the seriousness of a banana peel on a tree.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Just wondering, so that I don't offend anyone in the future.

Am I still allowed to eat bananas in public, or only in private out of sight?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join