It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIG 41 Interceptor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
The aircraft manufacturer Mikoyan are designing and looking at a replacement for the MIG 31

Meet the MIG 41
www.defencetalk.com...

The plane will potentially be able to operate in space and also pilotless. This is in my opinion. Very advanced technology and I'm not sure how it can be incorporated.
MIG 41 isn't the official designation. It's PAK DP..

Note the CEO of MIG. States it will be able to operate in the Article zone.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: blackbird9393

The SR-71 operated (still secret) above 85,000 feet if push came to shove which is darn close to space IMO. Anyway they need to define space.IE the space above all existing aircraft service ceilings (how high present aircraft can fly) ?.. As it stands now it will be a Mach 4 aircraft and maybe capable of Mach 6 which is faster than the SR-71 did.. and as a note faster than fielded antiaircraft missiles. Get shot at, just add a little throttle ... I like that !

To be honest, talk is cheap; I want to see the beef err beast before I believe wonderful speculations and wants..
youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: blackbird9393

Yeah, I'm calling BS. Not on all of it, but on the "it can operate above Mach 4 and go into space" bit. The SR-71, and U-2 are the highest operating aircraft around, currently, and they don't even get remotely close to going into space. The highest flight in any of the Blackbird family aircraft was something like 85,000 feet, which puts it at 15 miles or so. To qualify for an astronaut badge, which means you crossed into space, you have to fly above 50 miles I think it is. The accepted dividing line into space is something like 62 miles.

Yeah, ain't happening.
edit on 8/31/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/31/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Can't see them having the money to develop this aircraft by the mid 20s at all. Also can't see their engines handling sustained speed more or a quick dash when needed.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Yeah, I was looking the other way on that part too.
They're making big strides on their engine programs though and have come a long way. They're not up to a good hypersonic engine yet, that I've heard, though. They could probably build one, but it would be like the MiG-25 engine and need overhauling after every max speed flight.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Agreed, if this technology were viable then space agencies would be using it, instead of whacking great rockets. Sounds like your typical RT 'RUSSIA IS BESTEST AT EVERYTHING' story.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Lol. Not to mention the escape velocity to reach space is roughly Mach 32 and Russia can't even afford to get their 5th gen fighter into any sort of meaningful production.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Also not to mention their continuously delayed next generation bomber.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Just as much BS as our "still under development" generation X craft.

We announce we will have this xyz ability and they counter with their own, on paper xyz +1 countermeasure.

Whatever they come up with, I bet they do it a lot cheaper.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

What was wrong with the space shuttle ?
Could it not have been tweaked into an all purpose platform ( OK the launching platform is limited in a military sense ... but hey big challenges are met with great minds. )
😎

edit on 31-8-2017 by Timely because: I still hate bloody androids ... grrr.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
No way will this thing reach space and still perform any viable role, even with tankers supporting it. Never. Think about it the SR 71 was thirsty as hell and look at the size of it. Sure it´s last centuries tech but no, just no.

I call bull#, too.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
If they can't afford to put a 5th gen style one-piece canopy on the Su-57 what hope do they have of a super space plane??

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong with my earlier comment. This may prove to be a very interesting aircraft, and they're going the same direction we are, with PCA and future plans.

But, Russia has yet to have a successful air breathing hypersonic platform, of any size that would allow for a hypersonic engine to power it. And even if they plan it to be something like Spaceship Two, and go suborbital, it's going to have to be huge to carry enough fuel to get up there.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I think this is a bit far fetched as well. At least when it comes to a 2025 Production goal of even a prototype.

Just creating and testing the specific materials for the skin of the Aircraft is a great Challenge. But this also Depends on the specfic abilities the Aircraft will have when it comes to Space and reentery face.

I dont think the shape of the Aircraft would have to be a brand New revolution in it self. But the materials for the skin would have to be.

I would gather that the weight to thrust ratio would be a issue. So i dont think this aricraft would pack to much when it comes to cambat abillities initially. I think the first prototype would only be a thechnologial Experimental Aircraft.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Maybe they will make a nuclear driven one?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

That would be disasterous.

I sure wish the usa would get their stuff together regarding hypersonic aircraft. We need something to replace the sr71 bad. But first wed have to come up with some spiffy new turbine and what would be the odds of that ever happening. I say hypersonics is just too hard. No way no how.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Zaph do you think its possible that the usa might someday get serious about it hypersonic programs and actually field something hypersonic capabale of outdoing the blackbird or were the 60s the golden era of the usa aircraft capability.

I mean it seems like were floundering lately. Just look at the billion dollar debacle the f35 has becone. The plane cant even fight. Rumor has it vintage f16 are besting it. And the f22. Cant even get oxygen to its pilots. I worry about americas air fleet.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Do you think the Rockwell MRCC should have been developed?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The Russian defense complex are masters of the vaporware announcement and as Zaph noted alot of the announced capabilities will get nixed pretty quickly....

In regards to hypersonics etc. I think we are at the cusp of practical directed energy weapons which lets face it at the speed of light trump hypersonic. They will have their place mind you but I think alot of money is being directed (humor ar ar) there.
edit on 8/31/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

You think the F-35 and other recent programs are bad for overruns and being expensive, they would be drops in the bucket compared to what we would have spent on MRCC. And honestly, it wouldn't have been truly useful outside limited roles.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join