It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low-fat diet could kill you, major study shows

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

That sounds correct.

Now does eating a very very low carb/sugar diet for 6 months allow the pancreas to heal?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

You know, I was thinking about the problem of sugar over-consumption and I found this

www.sugar.ca...

The link includes United States as well

The link is from the Canadian sugar institute and includes all sugars made, grown, imported and exported.

Since 1994, Canadian Sugar Consumption has dropped from 79 grams/per day per person to 61 grams / per day / per person
American Sugar Consumption has dropped from approximately 104 grams / per day / per person to 95 .7 grams / per day / per person

Consumption of added sugars in Canada has been declining over the past 20 years, mainly reflecting a decline in caloric soft drink consumption. "Added sugars" include all sugars, corn syrups, honey, and maple syrup added to foods and beverages. It does not include sugars that naturally occur in fruits, vegetables, and dairy products. It is estimated that Canadians consume approximately 11% of their energy (calories) as added sugars, equivalent to about 53 g of added sugars per person per day. This is considered a moderate amount and well below the suggested maximum of 25% in the Dietary Reference Intakes that form the basis of Canada's dietary guidance. This is also very close to the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommended intake of 10% free sugars based on the WHO review of research in relation to tooth decay. In Canada, the effective use of fluoride continues to be the most effective public health approach to the prevention of tooth decay. When people are looking for an estimate of sugar intake, they may mistakenly quote statistics called "per capita disappearance" or "sugar available for consumption" (reported as kilograms of sugar per person per year). This "disappearance" data is a measure of the amount of sugar produced in Canada plus imports minus exports, divided by the population of Canada. These numbers over time are helpful to follow trends but do not tell us how much sugar Canadians are actually eating. Rather, they substantially overestimate actual intake because they include sugars wasted or used up in the process of making foods (e.g., bread, wine). Wastage occurs at the retail, restaurant/institutional and household levels including cooking, storage, and plate losses, as well as non-food usage of sugars.

Now of course, this doesn't tell you about any special individual, some people eat more sugar and some eat less.

You may consider Americans to be over-consuming sugar but Canada clearly no longer has a problem

Comparison of Canadian and US Consumption Population Average per person per day (Added sugars estimated) Canada (CCHS 2004) US (NHANES 2003-04) Total Calories 2073 Calories 2195 Calories Total sugars (grams) - natural and added 110 g 133 g Added sugars (grams)* 55 g 88 g Added sugars (Calories) 220 Calories 352 Calories Added sugars (tsp) 13 tsp 21 tsp Added sugars (% Calories) 10.7% 15.9%

Then I looked at the incidence of diabetes

www.diabetes.ca...

From 2000 to 2010, the incidence of diabetes increased from 4.2 % to 7.6 % (in the face of dropping sugar consumption that started in 1994)

Then I looked at the incidence of obesity

www.statcan.gc.ca...

You examine the tables provided by yourself but clearly obesity is still increasing (in the face of dropping sugar consumption that started in 1994)

I am told by the World Health Organization and Public Health Units, that over-consumption of sugar is responsible for climbing rates of diabetes and obesity but how can that be in the face of dropping sugar consumption that started in 1994??????

Is somebody LYING????? Are we being SCAMMED?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Carbs spike insulin too. I would imagine that accounts for some of the increase of diabetes.

edit on 31-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Carbs are the total of sugar, starches and dietary fibres

Pure sugar is a component of carbs. Starches turn into sugar as soon as you put them into your mouth. Dietary fibre is not digestible.

Again from Stats Canada

www.statcan.gc.ca...

Carbohydrates primary source of energy Carbohydrates are the body’s most important source of energy. They may be obtained as sugars, starch or fibre. The AMDR for carbohydrates is 45% to 65% of daily calories. On average, carbohydrates accounted for 55.4% of the calories consumed by children and adolescents in 2004; for adults, the percentage was 50.1%

Again, it ain't the carbs, (at least for canadians)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Is this twigging anybody that public health all over the world are blowing smoke up our arses yet?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I think its possible, though age and extent of inflammatory damage is probably the biggest factor. The important part is eating a maicronutrient dense diet.

Keep carbs ultra low, protein moderate, and more high quality fats (organic, grass fed, etc), and tons of veggies. Its important to take in plenty of foods loaded with both fat and water soluble vitamins + minerals.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Stevia IS sugar. Still glucose but the sucrose (bad stuff) has been removed.

You clearly don't know what your are talking about. Stevia is composed of steviol glycosides, basically a molecule of Steviol variously grafted with glucose, rhamnose... I call it a big bizarre molecule that I don't trust, so I'll leave it for you... And Stevia is NOT sugar.

"Glucose with the sucrose removed" ??? Sucrose is a Disaccharide made from two Monosaccharides: Glucose and Fructose. Is it creative chemistry, removing the sucrose from glucose?
edit on 4-9-2017 by Cofactor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Now does eating a very very low carb/sugar diet for 6 months allow the pancreas to heal?

Insulin is the substractive parts of the blood glucose regulation mechanism. Pancreas secrete insulin to lower glucose concentration. Insulin tell to all insulin dependant cells to absorb glucose, the adipocytes obviously get the message and convert the glucose into fat storage.

When eating diet rich in carbs, digestion constantly provide high qty of glucose, then pancreas need to work overtime to secrete insulin, that tell to cells to eat glucose. Eventually, cells begin to be tired of constant insulin scream into their ear and begin to be deaf, then pancreas secrete more insulin, but cell no longer obey. This is diabete type 2. Eventually the cells doing insulin secretion in pancreas will wornout and disapear. This is diabetes type 1.

Low carb diet give a break to pancreas by no longer requiring the oversecretion of insulin. With low level of insulin in blood, all the cells that were becoming deaf to insulin begin gradually to recover their sensitivity to insulin.

But this reversal will only work while in diabetes type2, type 1 is irreversible.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   
My avatar is INSULIN.

See the threads I've posted.

I've written multiple threads about the dangers of low fat and the misconceptions of it.

Remember how many times eggs were bad for you? It changes all the time.

Check my threads. A random study doesn't mean #. But this thread title tells it all.

-Devo
edit on 5-9-2017 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DevolutionEvolvd

Wow. You have tons of threads on the subject. Its like a library of data. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Carbs are not the enemy, fats are not the enemy, sugar is not the enemy and eating those items do not make a person sick or fat... eating too much does. If people would just get back to whole, natural foods and skip the processed stuff they'd realize that the human body was built to use all three macro's to be healthy and sustain life. All of the diets out there only work initially become most of them involve removing an entire food group, thereby reducing overall calories. Rise above what "they" tell you and stop treating your body like a garbage disposal. Eat to live and eat to perform, food is fuel. People need to stop trying to manipulate how their bodies are designed to work. Like Paleo or keto or whatever they are calling it these days... force your body to burn fat instead of carbs... so stupid. Read your labels, track your overall caloric intake, plant based foods are best, things like fruit and vegetables and lean proteins don't need nutritional labels. If it comes in a box or a bag, stay away...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

You're right, moderation is key, but for those who have been carbo-loading and eating processed, nutrient depleted foods for more than a decade, a low carb, nutrient dense diet is a great way to let the body heal. Then moderation can be introduced again...IMO.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join