It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Quietly Passed A Bill Allowing Warrantless Searches of Homes - Only 1% Opposed It

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Congress Quietly Passed A Bill Allowing Warrantless Searches of Homes - Only 1% Opposed It

A bill that will allow homes to be searched without a warrant was passed with overwhelming support by the United States Congress, and signed into law by President Trump—and it happened with no media coverage and very little fanfare.

On the surface, House Joint Resolution 76 looks harmless. The title of the bill claims that its purpose is “Granting the consent and approval of Congress for the Commonwealth of Virginia, the State of Maryland, and the District of Columbia to enter into a compact relating to the establishment of the Washington Metrorail Safety Commission.”

However, there is one major red flag buried within the text of the bill that stems from the list of “powers” given to the Washington Metrorail Safety Commission, and it violates one of the basic tenets of the U.S. Constitution.

“In performing its duties, the Commission, through its Board or designated employees or agents, may:Enter upon the WMATA Rail System and, upon reasonable notice and a finding by the chief executive officer that a need exists, upon any lands, waters, and premises adjacent to the WMATA Rail System, including, without limitation, property owned or occupied by the federal government, for the purpose of making inspections, investigations, examinations, and testing as the Commission may deem necessary to carry out the purposes of this MSC Compact, and such entry shall not be deemed a trespass.”

The text gives the Commission the authority to enter property near the Metro Rail System “without limitation” and without a warrant, for the purpose of “making inspections, investigations, examinations, and testing.”

A whole lot of people in the DC metro area just lost their 4th Amendment rights.

Adjacent includes above and below too, right?

I'm thinking the great American experiment is thoroughly cooked and done.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The story goes that as Benjamin Franklin emerged from Independence Hall at the close of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia on September 18, 1787, a woman asked him, “Well Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”.

Mr. Franklin replied, “A republic, madam – if you can keep it.”

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

No they didnt. A warrant is still required unless it meets a 4th amendment exception. Secondly what they are referring to is law enforcement working a lawful call that requires them to come onto private property where the property / property owner in question are not the subject of law enforcement action.

IE a train derails and police come onto private property to investigate the derailment.
edit on 26-8-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Your nation may well of ended with the Kennedy assassination but definately after 9-11 good men did nothing so dont compain when the smiley face mask comes off your fascist regime at home,its allready off overseas just ask the hundreds of civilians killed in Raqqa this week.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

“In performing its duties, the Commission, through its Board or designated employees or agents, may:Enter upon the WMATA Rail System and, upon reasonable notice and a finding by the chief executive officer that a need exists, upon any lands, waters, and premises adjacent to the WMATA Rail System, including, without limitation, property owned or occupied by the federal government, for the purpose of making inspections, investigations, examinations, and testing as the Commission may deem necessary to carry out the purposes of this MSC Compact, and such entry shall not be deemed a trespass.” 

You went to the trouble of making this part bold. Can you please point out where in that wall of text it says anything about anyone entering private homes and searching them without a warrant?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

What part of "any lands, waters, and premises adjacent to the WMATA Rail System" is difficult to understand? Can you point to a private property exception?

Moreover, U.S. Representative Justin Amash seems pretty clear what it means:

Link.

edit on 26-8-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Can you link to where that is indicated?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

A bill that will allow homes to be searched without a warrant was passed with overwhelming support by the United States Congress, and signed into law by President Trump—and it happened with no media coverage and very little fanfare.

This actually scares the snip out of me.

With all the nazi hysteria going on and a large segment of the population literally out of their flippin minds.

God help us.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Here's the full text.

Repeating the relevant part:

“31. In performing its duties, the Commission, through its Board or designated employees or agents, may:

“(a) Conduct, or cause to be conducted, inspections, investigations, examinations, and testing of WMATA personnel and contractors, property, equipment, facilities, rolling stock, and operations of the WMATA Rail System, including, without limitation, electronic information and databases through reasonable means, which may include issuance of subpoenas;

“(b) Enter upon the WMATA Rail System and, upon reasonable notice and a finding by the chief executive officer that a need exists, upon any lands, waters, and premises adjacent to the WMATA Rail System, including, without limitation, property owned or occupied by the federal government, for the purpose of making inspections, investigations, examinations, and testing as the Commission may deem necessary to carry out the purposes of this MSC Compact, and such entry shall not be deemed a trespass. The Commission shall make reasonable reimbursement for any actual damage resulting to any such adjacent lands, waters, and premises as a result of such activities;

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

IE a train derails and police come onto private property to investigate the derailment.

When it says "for the purpose of making inspections, investigations, examinations, and testing as the Commission may deem necessary", I think that goes far beyond accident investigation.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

The text you posted does not state what you claim. It says, clearly, it allow them to enter

property owned or occupied by the federal government
, which does NOT mean they can enter private homes.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
This probably has something to do with human trafficking.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

It says: "including, without limitation, property owned or occupied by the federal government..."

Preceding that, it says: "...upon any lands, waters, and premises adjacent to the WMATA Rail System..."

What would be the point of "including" something if you hadn't already identified something else to include it with???

Please tell me we speak the same language.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

There are A LOT of homes along those routes...

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

The day they come up with a bill named, "The Freedom Happiness Equality Kindness and Peace Act", I'm sh#tting my pants and hiding somewhere.

Well, Trump is an asshole for signing this and congress are piles of poo for writing it.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The day they come up with a bill named, "The Freedom Happiness Equality Kindness and Peace Act", I'm sh#tting my pants and hiding somewhere.

No doubt.

Crazy times.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

The purpose is for the Safety Commission to find safety violations by WMATA Rail System. The Safety Commission would enter private property to do that function, not to bust private citizens for violations outside the purview of the Safety Commission.

Just to be safe: If the WMATA offers to buy your property, sell it. Time it right and you can make a profit. Too soon, a loss. Too late, duhn duhn duhn ... something unpleasant.

Edit to Add:

A few years ago, I bought some land far away from civilization. When I did a history search at the County, I discovered that the Rail Road had owned it 100 years ago. They sold all the land around there once they decided not to run a rail through there. They kept the mineral rights.

I grabbed all the gold I could find, let the bank repo, and hid out. Some day the Rail Road may catch up to me.

edit on 26-8-2017 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Could there be a more benign reason ? Think current events.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Add the 'Border Search Exemption" and we are slowly losing the ability to say no...

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Probably my paranoia, but it looks more like a how much can we get away with before the people snap move.

If people passively roll over because it only effects those right next to federal property, how long till it gets expanded.

People should be outraged and not just go well we have more terrorist attacks so this makes sense, our answer should be Ell NO!

But most will not ever been aware it happened, and those that do probably two thirds will say meh doesnt have any impact on me, and whats left is not enough to make the fed back up.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join