It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Eclipse Is Racist – According to the Atlantic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: introvert

But But

the title is "American Blackout"

Yes, it's an article that discusses the racial history of the places within the eclipse blackout.

Read the damn thing and put the political trolling aside...if you can.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Kayne West has also chimed in - " Sol doesn't care about black people"

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Secret Codes and trigger messages right out in the open.

A great example of Poetic Literature indeed !!

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Any Sun statues we can tear down?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
One thing for sure...Sun dials in public parks MUST go!

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: matafuchs

Any Sun statues we can tear down?

It's here it's here.

Just look at it !!

Sun God (statue)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Using any astronomical event to push a social or political agenda = STUPID

It should be used to promote STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) in young people.

That's a major part of the problem in our country right now: Everything has to be about some stupid ass social or political crap.

People should be enjoying it and looking up in wonder.......not reverting back more than 100 years of progress and trying to find "omens" or "signs" in it.

idiots.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

There you go!

We should probably retro-actively rename the APOLLO space program, while we're at it.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

From that article:

The Great American Eclipse illuminates, or darkens, a land still segregated, a land still in search of equality, a land of people still trying to dominate each other. When the lovely glow of a backlight fades, history is relentless, just one damn fact after another, one damning fact after another. America is a nation with debts that no honest man can pay. It is too much to ask that these debts simply be forgiven. But perhaps the strange path of the eclipse suggests a need for reorganization. We have figured out, more or less, how to count every person. We have not yet found a political system in which every person counts equally.

The American West was not the land of chattel slavery—with some brief exceptions, slavery was illegal in Oregon before and after statehood. But among the dreams of the pioneers there was, at least sometimes, a dream of escaping racial strife by escaping black people altogether. As put by Peter Burnett, the architect of one racially exclusionary law in Oregon, the aim was simply to avoid “that most troublesome class of population. We are in a new world, under most favorable circumstances, and we wish to avoid most of those evils that have so afflicted the United States and other countries.”

Interesting perspective. The question that comes to my mind is........if its time for reorganization, do you want that reorganization to be orchestrated by people who believe "America" owes a debt that can never be repaid or forgiven?
It seems that at the core of these people's beliefs is the idea that as a nation state, the US is utterly damned by its history.

As recent events have shown, there's no hope of reconciliation with these people. And try as you will, there's no escaping them either.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I think the metaphorical use in this case was very well done. It not only gave the reader historical content, but also makes one think about race issues in a way one might not have before.

It should be used to promote STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) in young people.

This article is not the end-all be-all of info regarding the eclipse. It's just one piece.

That's a major part of the problem in our country right now: Everything has to be about some stupid ass social or political crap.

No. The problem is that people can't seem to read past headlines and dig in to the actual context before knee-jerking.

People should be enjoying it and looking up in wonder.......not reverting back more than 100 years of progress and trying to find "omens" or "signs" in it.

That's not what this piece did. Did you happen to read it? Do you understand the context of the article?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Do they have any idea the ammo they just gave the white supremacist

What better way to make them fell validated than say dont worrie the universe hates blacks to

One might even say that means god hates them

... i dont wonder whats wrong with the world i wonder how we made it this far and still people think in black and white ...

i need caffine ... and a hammer with luck i can forget i ever read that artical

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Well the U.S. is already $20 trillion in debt.

What's the harm of a few more in line.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Well I read the article and the gist of the article is pointing out that the area of totality is an area according to the article largely populated by whites only.

Specific regions mentioned, Oregon, Wyoming, and they mention Missouri and Tennesee, areas I have found populated by all Americans of different ethnic backgrounds.

The article was found under the science tab and did not appear to be satirical but attempting to say how few African-Americans live in the path of totality. I find it a bit disingenuous as I have visited every state and have met the melting pot in every state.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Is it possible that the troll got trolled?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I believe I like it even more now.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

idiots.

I agree. But youre a mod. You should see his point clearly. The article is not at all saying what the title of this thread is. That was the take of a right slanted website who probably skimmed it, and a right slanting member of ATS.

The article, if read in its entirety ( a novel idea for ats users this day) only propagates the path to talk about socio political issues in the areas it covers

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: eriktheawful
So they're saying the Moon is racist???

Who knew?

wow.....

You can read the piece in it's entirety here:

www.theatlantic.com...-comments

And then the shadow goes to sea, still indifferent to the Earth below, indifferent to the little creatures here, indifferent to these people indifferent to their own histories. Or perhaps we are not indifferent, but just no more capable than butterflies and bees of seeing the long path and of deciding to change it. The Great American Eclipse illuminates, or darkens, a land still segregated, a land still in search of equality, a land of people still trying to dominate each other. When the lovely glow of a backlight fades, history is relentless, just one damn fact after another, one damning fact after another. America is a nation with debts that no honest man can pay. It is too much to ask that these debts simply be forgiven. But perhaps the strange path of the eclipse suggests a need for reorganization. We have figured out, more or less, how to count every person. We have not yet found a political system in which every person counts equally.

It is not saying the moon or the eclipse is racist. It's using the event as a tool to highlight problems the nation faces.

Context...

It KIND of matters.

Intentionally misleading headline and article. Figures.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It's spreading !!!

All the MSM TV stations are showing crowds of people in the path.

99% are White !!!!!!!!!

No. It's going crazy !!

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This article should be trolled...

It has been dubbed the Great American Eclipse, and along most of its path, there live almost no black people.

This is the end of the second paragraph. This article is nothing more than another take on racism in the United States. If you took out the references to the eclipse it would fit well at the HuffPo.

This is another gem....

In the last 12 or 13 minutes of the eclipse, it will probably pass over more black Americans than it does throughout all of its earlier journey.

and in the end...it is blaming white people who should do more to end racism?

The Great American Eclipse illuminates, or darkens, a land still segregated, a land still in search of equality, a land of people still trying to dominate each other. When the lovely glow of a backlight fades, history is relentless, just one damn fact after another, one damning fact after another. America is a nation with debts that no honest man can pay. It is too much to ask that these debts simply be forgiven. But perhaps the strange path of the eclipse suggests a need for reorganization. We have figured out, more or less, how to count every person. We have not yet found a political system in which every person counts equally.

A political system that does not count everybody equally? Well, I guess it is more fodder for the ignorant.

There is no black voter suppression.
There are MANY black CEO's and heads of industry.
We had a black president for 8 years.

If a black person in todays society is being held back it is not for lack of trying. I do not want to hear any different. Like the piece of white trash who says the black man is stealing all the jobs but won't go get a job and collects a state check.

In this day it is YOUR choice on how far you want to go and what you want to achieve. I can also remind everyone the first 'black woman' to graduate and be a doctor happened over 140 years ago.

We have made progress. It is up to those who do not want progress to change not those who have moved forward of all races, religions and orientation.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I thought the article made good use of the eclipse as a metaphor.

Whether I agree, or not, matters not...it ain't sayin' what many of you think it's sayin'. You may want to re-read it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join