It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a print.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hi guys iv been looking at this old painting in my kitchen for thirty years.
It was given to me by an old friend who brought it in the late 70s early 80s from an antique store in Geelong for 150$.
Its in an old plaster over wood frame.
I was wondering if its a well known painting/ or a print. Could someone help.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Can you feel the texture of the brushstrokes? If not, its a print. Also originals are never put behind glass.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

I think my friend said it was a water painting. And I haven't taken it out of the frame yet.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Outback22
a reply to: bananashooter

I think my friend said it was a water painting. And I haven't taken it out of the frame yet.

See if there is any dots in it, most anything that is printed will have dots that should be seen by the naked eye, although some very good printers could have done some very fine printing.

When taken out of the frame look to see if there is any type that is printed on it, especially a printed copyright with a perfect circle around it... I tried to show you here but the keyboard symbol wouldn't take... ® There is it now, I got it to work, I hope.

If all else fails, you could 'slightly' wet your finger and in a inconspicuous place try and smudge it if it's a watercolor if you 'really' want to know.

edit on 18-8-2017 by recrisp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Outback22

I did a Google reverse image search and didn't find an exact match.

My guess is that it is a 'fantasy' European scene done in pastel watercolours.

The English born Australian Artist Walter Withers did some similar paintings but it is different enough that I'd say it wasn't one of his.

I'd guess it is an original, not a print. Don't try and smudge it with water as someone suggested. Try and get in touch with an art dealer and see what they say.

Also, the old frame may be worth a lot, too.

edit on 18/8/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Not sure about it being a water colour painting... Maybe pastel water colours

Do not try to smudge it as someone suggested, it will lose value straight away.

Take it out of the frame and study it. Magnifying glass would help. Feel for brushstrokes.

Let us know how you get on with it, im interested...
edit on 18/8/17 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Here is a pic of the lower left corner, I will remove it from the frame tonight after tea.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
There's 22 old nails holding the back wood.. It'll take a while

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=22579700]Outback22[/post
Its made of paper, its old its back is yellow from age I guess.

On further expection I think I can see white dots, so it may be a print.

Here's the signature of the artist.

Maby someone knows a little bit about them.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Sylvester Stannard and it's a copy. Google his name and you'll see this picture in the images

ETA _ Oh I take that back. His paintings are so generic and samey I mistook a very similar one for yours. One went at auction for £5000. So stop messing around with it and take it to an art gallery for the onceover.

edit on 8.19.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Thank you for your reply

I looked up his name and his paintings are all similar

The picture of the signature I took with flash on.
Its on paper but the paper is very old and yellowish also it looks like it might of been wet at some point.

The back wood bord was held on by 22 boot nail's.

I can't feel lumps of paint and I also did a very light smugde test and wiped a piece of white newspaper on the moist spot to see if paint color would come off... It did not.

So I put it back together. And I think I'm out of luck.

Thank you for telling me the artist's name it was fantastic to look at his other work.
I love his flower colours.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

He was a watercolourist so there won't be clumps and few, if any, ridges from brush strokes. Watercolours usually have a slightly dusty feel which is half the reason they are framed behind glass...it preserves the medium.

Contact a decent gallery and ask for advice.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Is it common to paint on paper?
I was jus looking through all his paintings on google,
And I can't seem to find my exact image.

No doubt there's hundreds of works of his that aren't necessary on google.

But I'll keep looking.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Watercolours go on special paper. It's a little bit thicker than what you get in sketch pads or writing pads.

Watercolour paper can take a beating with wet washes and rough action with the brushes. Sketch pad paper loses its shape and starts to ripple so proper artists stick to the special paper.

Dunno what they used back then and guess it was same as today...watercolour paper.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

OK you've convinced me to get my piece inspected

It is thicker paper, and very yellowed on the back.
If its real my friend got a bargain deal at $150.
He told me he got it for the frame.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I researched Walter withers, and I think I'll have to get my grubby little hands on one of those fine paintings

Its a shame I can't find one currently for sale

Thank you

Do you have any other advice with Australia artists I should look out for

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Well worth getting a professional opinion. Good luck!!!

5k KeRchInG!!

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Outback22

I researched Walter withers, and I think I'll have to get my grubby little hands on one of those fine paintings

Its a shame I can't find one currently for sale

Thank you

Do you have any other advice with Australia artists I should look out for

Well, I love McCubbin's but you won't get anything but prints for anything affordable.

I'm just remembering back to my days at high-school. I did art and sold some of my stuff and got 'shown' in a gallery, but I haven't really done anything post-school (I got into music & family and never had the time, but my dad did. He's still painting, even though he now suffers from macular degeneration in one eye. He still manages to get them into galleries and make sales).

About watercolour paper, it has a high cotton content in with the paper pulp which gives it more strength, especially when wet. They also usually slightly texture the surface so it has a bit of 'give' in it.

I recognised the top of the signature as one I'd seen before (from the 2nd picture you posted) but couldn't recall the artist's name. If it isn't a print, it's probably valuable. Also, the old decorated frame should be valuable if it's in good condition but it does look like it's endured a bit of wear.

Get it valued, get a second opinion and I hope it's a good one!

new topics

top topics

join