It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Civil War

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This may be my first time creating an OP, but I have been lurking for over ten years, and I have to ask: what the hell is going on around here? Yeah, our country is divided. Sure, recent events have been fodder for some serious debate. But this Civil War debate has gotten out of hand. I get that both sides have valid points. I know my history, and you know yours. Fantastic. But where is this getting us? The only place it is getting me is frustrated. The back and forth serves no purpose, and I simply see people pitted against one another. It is like we are acting out the events that we see on television, that we read about in the news.

Then we bring it here to rehash it. If that is what this community wants, then so be it. But I do not believe that. I believe that what most of us want is a level of civility that is not found on most forums. I believe that people come here for something other than what we get on all of the mainstream socials. Do we really have to fight the Civil War again here on ATS? IT'S ALL BULL! We know this! So why are we playing this game?

Maybe some people want to. I can accept that. And yes, I am well aware that I may go elsewhere if I do not like it. Nobody is forcing me to read anything (except for my college, but that is a different story). That is all valid. I am simply tired of everything being so politicized that reading the forums becomes an exercise in trying not to spoon my eyeballs out. Cheap shots on one side, outright falsehoods on the other, and for what?

FOR WHAT? Perhaps a step back and a good look in the mirror is in order. For all of us, including myself. If we are to deny ignorance, we must be able to recognize it. Sigh. End rant.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterMcKill

The back and forth serves no purpose, and I simply see people pitted against one another. It is like we are acting out the events that we see on television, that we read about in the news.

Exactly as they planned. If we are divided against one another we can't be united against them.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Perhaps you've been lucky enough to avoid seeing what's been playing out in the US over the last year. There's been an all-out push to unite minorities under the Democratic party to end "white privilege". The kind of incitement was precisely the same as 117 years ago when America was last truly divided as deeply as apparently we are now. That is if you believe academia and the media, which I don't. The trouble is the 98% in the middle don't get coverage or tv time, only the extremes of the political spectrum do which seems to be convincing many the narrative they're selling is true.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The back and forth serves no purpose, and I simply see people pitted against one another. It is like we are acting out the events that we see on television, that we read about in the news.

Exactly as they planned. If we are divided against one another we can't be united against them.

I get what you're saying, but this wording is pretty ironic. Who's "they", "we", and "them"? Isn't that also playing up the divisions?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Pretty much what intrptr said, it's about divide, embattle, conquer, enslave.

but also;

I am simply tired of everything being so politicized that reading the forums becomes an exercise in trying not to spoon my eyeballs out

Just don't read them. If it's a political subject don't read it.

You need to remember this is the internet, for the most part it's not real. Walk away and do something more interesting.

edit on 16 8 2017 by myselfaswell because: bloody grammer

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Perhaps you've been lucky enough to avoid seeing what's been playing out in the US over the last year. There's been an all-out push to unite minorities under the Democratic party to end "white privilege". The kind of incitement was precisely the same as 117 years ago when America was last truly divided as deeply as apparently we are now. That is if you believe academia and the media, which I don't. The trouble is the 98% in the middle don't get coverage or tv time, only the extremes of the political spectrum do which seems to be convincing many the narrative they're selling is true.

I am well aware of the situation. I am just concerned about what it is doing to ATS.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

I get what you're saying, but this wording is pretty ironic. Who's "they", "we", and "them"? Isn't that also playing up the divisions?

They and them are the many headed hydra of the deep state. We are the people.

There is only one side, us and our elected representatives. A union of representatives carrying the will of the people.

There is no left, right, dem or rep. , just America and its limited gubment, working to defend this countries borders, financed not by progressive permanent income tax, but by tarrifs on imports.

Those that have an ear let them hear.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Pretty much what intrptr said, is about divide, embattle, conquer, enslave.

but also;

I am simply tired of everything being so politicized that reading the forums becomes an exercise in trying not to spoon my eyeballs out

Just don't read them. If it's a political subject don't read it.

You need to remember this is the internet, for the most part it's not real. Walk away and do something more interesting.

It isn't really about politics. I'm an anarchist, so I don't really care. I am commenting on the tone of ATS and where it has headed in the last decade.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I have a legitimate question and seriously hope not to start a conflict by asking.

What is wrong with wanting to end white privilege?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Welcome to the U.S. of M.S.M.

We follow the Bill of Propaganda.

And we believe in the Declaration of Dependence !!

And PROUD of it !!

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I think you are angry at the wrong people. All of the middle class is shrinking, white people feel it now because of Republican policies and continuous wars.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

They and them are the many headed hydra of the deep state. We are the people.

There is only one side, us and our elected representatives. A union of representatives carrying the will of the people.

Umm, but that's a contradiction. The "deep state" is composed of human citizens (aka some of "the people"). Many citizens have security clearances and work for govt contractors, government agencies, etc. And many other citizens work for the major Wall Street firms, for multinational companies, and for lobbying firms at the State, local, and federal level. And many elected representatives have been in the system for decades, which seemingly makes them members of the "deep state" too, right?

So at what point do citizens stop becoming "the people" & "elected representatives" and start becoming "deep state"? It just sounds like an unidentifiable bogeyman that's used to perpetuate the divisions of "us" vs "them".

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheOneElectric

I have a legitimate question and seriously hope not to start a conflict by asking.

What is wrong with wanting to end white privilege?

I have a better question. What will it take to end "white privelage"?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I dunno. Borders serve only to divide, some imports are necessary, and how limited do you mean?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

The "deep state" is composed of human citizens (aka some of "the people").

No, the minions of state are not the people, the oligarchs neither.

We the people is everyone not identified with that state (the establishment), i,.e., the masses.

As far as corporations that pull Washington's strings, the notion they are 'some of the people' is a lie. They want to be called 'people too', but set about getting out of paying tax, paying their employees a decent living wage, and rape the world for resources and pollute it back with impunity.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TheOneElectric

What is white privilege? Does it truly exist?

I run to the mailbox every morning to find the money from this privilege but it is never there. Maybe I had a non white ancestor somewhere in my past and I am 1/16th Cherokee. Dang my ancestors, I could be living on easy street right now.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrunkenMimeMaster

I dunno. Borders serve only to divide, some imports are necessary, and how limited do you mean?

The only job as set forth by the constitution of the United states is to provide for the common defense (nobody is attacking the continental US), and coin money of the realm. Otherwise, stay out of the business of the states.

That limited service provided by the elected representatives is to be paid for by the collection of tariffs from imports.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Education, awareness, and time.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrunkenMimeMaster

The only job as set forth by the constitution of the United states is to provide for the common defense (nobody is attacking the continental US), and coin money of the realm. Otherwise, stay out of the business of the states.

That limited service provided by the elected representatives is to be paid for by the collection of tariffs from imports.

That would be nice, but the reality is, this country would grind to a halt if that were actually attempted, these days.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Since i'm only human i guess i'll take the first step. I hereby apologize to all members for any post or comment that went too far. I'm very blunt and sometimes i forget that not every person is like me and values that. Again my sincerest apologies. I don't expect anything in return btw.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join