It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: The New Military: Robots with Human DNA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Two robotics projects in the USA and Korea announced stunning breakthroughs this week. The US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency contracted Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute to build a computer that can read documents and learn from them, for $1.2 million. Korea's Advanced Institute of Science and Technology created software to install 14 artificial chromosomes in a robot within three months. The software code is modelled on human DNA.

www.vnunet.com
"The arrival of intelligent robots that can read, learn and even breed is a step closer as two advanced robotics projects in the US and Korea announced breakthroughs today.

...The US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency has awarded $1.2m to two researchers in the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute to build a computer that can read documents and learn from them.

...Kim Jong-hwan, professor at Korea's Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, unveiled software which creates 14 artificial chromosomes that he claims gives the code the traits of an individual. The software will be installed on a robot within three months.

In tests the chromosomes within the software, which ultimately could allow the robots to 'breed', caused different reactions to external stimuli in different software systems. The code is modelled on human DNA...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The article's title is "Can Skynet be far away?" Good one if you're a sci-fi fan.

Translation: We are moving closer every day to a privatized, robotized army and police force.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SCI/TECH: Microbots: Towards a New Military

[edit on 8-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Genetic Algorithms are used in lots of processing functions, these devices don't use the actual DNA, let alone human dna.

HOWEVER, there was talk about creating DNA driven chemical computers, devices that use actual strands of dna to perform calculations. THey can solve very difficult and complex problems in parallel, but aren't better than regular tubes and swtiches to perfrom moderately simple tasks.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Genetic Algorithms are used in lots of processing functions, these devices don't use the actual DNA, let alone human dna.

HOWEVER, there was talk about creating DNA driven chemical computers, devices that use actual strands of dna to perform calculations. THey can solve very difficult and complex problems in parallel, but aren't better than regular tubes and swtiches to perfrom moderately simple tasks.

that sounds likea cronomorphers like the power rangers time force used
my mam is freaking a bit on this :0

[edit on 8-2-2005 by leejones]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
No reason to 'freak out' tho. Instead of tubes and wires, its monitoring a peculiar set of chemicals.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
can you imgan virtual sims and us being a living sim

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Did you catch this part? "... the chromosomes within the software, which ultimately could allow the robots to 'breed'..."

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
UPDATE and more info.

2005 - New micro-robots called microbots grow their own muscles from living animals. The microbots are grown on silicon chips, using the same principles and similar technologies as those used to make integrated circuits. "I can make hundreds of thousands as easily as I can make one," says nanotechnologist Carlo Montemagno. Blending biological and mechanical parts with phenomenal precision, microbots are a fully integrated system, blurring the lines between men and machines.

Microbots: Towards a Better Military

2000 - "One of the projects DARPA is currently supporting is work by a team at Michigan State University's College of Engineering, who are developing reconfigurable micro-robots for use in military, intelligence and law enforcement ...."

DARPA Works to Replace Soldiers, Police with Robots

2005 - "Scientists at the University of California Los Angeles have successfully bonded flesh to silicon to create what they claim is world's first muscled robot. ..."They have a maximum moving speed of 40 micrometres per second and can work for more than four hours, although not continuously." "

It needs your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle

Also see:

The Talon Robot: Ready for Iraq

Fly-eating Robot Powers Itself

So just put everything all together - AI, self-powered microbots, breeding robots - and all the other latest innovations...

How International Corporations Take Money Out of Troops Mouths

Outsourcing the Pentagon

Privatizing War - How affairs of state are outsourced to corporations beyond public control

Mercenary Firms and War Profiteers 1
Mercenary Firms and War Profiteers 2

Executive Outcomes: A new kind of army for privatized global warfare

Dogs Of War Inc. - A $300 Billion Dollar Business

For those who wonder where all the money is going:

What's Happening to America?

Where is the Money?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Actually, there's a $10Million reward to the group/individual that can solve the 100 city traveling salesman problem using a DNA computer. One of my best friends is currently trying to solve a 10 city traveling salesman problem with a DNA computer.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
So we're set to replace human troops with better models, with a budget that shafts vets when they get home... but the science genius wannabes are still singin' Rah Rah Go Team...

Am I missing something?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Grant Morrison's We3 never seemed all that implausible but I guess they're just not going to bother with a species other than humans.

I'm of the belief that the majority of what can be researched is getting researched, tried or tested.

Anybody see this a while back?

news.nationalgeographic.com...

[edit on 8/2/05 by Ouroboros]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Hmm... Robots that breed, interesting. "Machines making machines, now thats real smart".

It sounds like a good idea now. However all it takes is some common logic, knowledge of how to build a nuclear bomb, a good geopolitical simulator (even the one's from Superpower and SP2 would almost work), some high tech factories, and that ladies and gentelmen is how to end the human race.

How long until that machines figure out that humanity is the worst thing to happen to this planet? Only time will tell.

Oh yeah and for all of you people thinking a Matrix would be so cool, the machines will just use nuclear power or something instead of us for electricity. So without a need for us they won't hesitate to kill you. I sure hope were careful of what we do.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
If this is the information being released to the public, I can't even begin to imagine what they're working on that only a select few know about....

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
If this is the information being released to the public, I can't even begin to imagine what they're working on that only a select few know about....

That was exactly my reaction.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ouroboros

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

That was exactly my reaction.

ditto.

Great link ouroborous - meant to write about it . Pulled some stuff from the article...

"Scientists have begun blurring the line between human and animal by producing chimeras - a hybrid creature that's part human, part animal.

2003 - successfully fused human cells with rabbit eggs. The embryos were reportedly the first human-animal chimeras successfully created.

2004 - the Mayo Clinic created pigs with human blood flowing through their bodies.

2004 - mice with brains that are about one percent human.

Next - mice with 100% human brains.

What new subhuman combination should be produced and for what purpose? At what point would it be considered human? And what rights, if any, should it have?

There are currently no U.S. federal laws that address these issues.

"Research projects that create human-animal chimeras risk disturbing fragile ecosystems, endanger health, and affront species integrity."

"One doesn't have to be religious or into animal rights to think this doesn't make sense," (says Jeremy Rifkin). "It's the scientists who want to do this. They've now gone over the edge into the pathological domain." "

Animal-Human Hybrids Spark Controversy

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Though it may be a couple hundred years away, Irobot and Terminator movies seem like distant self fulfilling prophecies.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
Though it may be a couple hundred years away, Irobot and Terminator movies seem like distant self fulfilling prophecies.

IMO - it's much, much closer than anyone thinks, and in part, already happening. ...We maintain our comfortable ignorance at great cost.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

The code is modelled on human DNA, although as a single not double helix.

Uff, my mistake, their reference to it as 'software' made me think they were merely talking about genetic algorithims, rather then DNA based computing.

mattison
Actually, there's a $10Million reward to the group/individual that can solve the 100 city traveling salesman problem using a DNA computer

Interesting, however I am unfamiliar with the '100 city salesman' problem.

www.pcug.org.au...
A salesman spends his time visiting n cities (or nodes) cyclically. In one tour he visits each city just once, and finishes up where he started. In what order should he visit them to minimise the distance travelled? [...]
So an algorithm that peters out at 50 cites now will probably never get you to 100 nodes, whatever happens to hardware technology. Alternatively there are algorithms that seem to come up with a good solution quite quickly, but you cannot say just how far it is from being optimal.

Very interesting, I had actually thought people were leaving dna computing and moving towards the much hyped 'quantum computing', but this thread in general certainly dispells that falsity.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I had actually thought people were leaving dna computing and moving towards the much hyped 'quantum computing', but this thread in general certainly dispells that falsity.

...Can you explain (simply) for the less well-informed - and also, explain why the 2 cannot be used together? Maybe with reference to nano-tech? ...Thnx.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
So we're set to replace human troops with better models, with a budget that shafts vets when they get home... but the science genius wannabes are still singin' Rah Rah Go Team...

Am I missing something?

Not sure if this was directed towards me or not
, but this 'DNA computer' has nothing to do with 'replacing human troops with better models.' It's just a different way of processing data, and in reality is peripheral to this thread. I was actually just expanding on one of Nygdan's comments.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattison0922
this 'DNA computer' has nothing to do with 'replacing human troops with better models.' It's just a different way of processing data,

Alone, maybe - but viewed in the context of the other developments cited above? ...Are you saying these various technologies and breakthroughs cannot be integrated?

and in reality is peripheral to this thread. I was actually just expanding on one of Nygdan's comments.

My apologies. I didn't understand.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join