It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton's Longtime Pastor Reveals She Wants to Preach

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Abysha

They didn't burn witches and go on crusades to begin with was my point. Those actions were a bastardization of the Faith, same as much of the absolute filth modern Christians are told to accept in society and not rail against would represent if the congregation began to soften against it.

I'm not sure you understand exactly what the reformation and Martin Luther were based on. It wasn't a factor of "Society has changed, so our church needs to change" in any way. It was the observation that the Catholic church had strayed far from God's Word. The idea that money could buy salvation if given in large sums to a church ruled by Rome. This movement, unfortunately, lead to some undesired consequences, such as the Church of England with the king in command... regardless, the protestant movement in general was protesting against the changes of the church to satisfy worldly interests, they weren't protesting against refusal of the church to change because the Catholic church was nothing if not pliant for the right amount of bribe.

I understand indulgences and the need to be rid of them. We still have that same system today with the mega churches and, in the minds of some, confessionals mixed with tithing.

My point was that it has always been in flux. Do you think the western church in its current iteration is not "straying far from god's word"? That it's perfect? Or anything like it was 2,000 years ago? If not, why protect that specific culture when it's not even the way it should be?

Why not move it further towards Jesus's teachings and further away from the old laws he fulfilled? Do you think mega churches are approved by your god? What about profiting from war with your religion's stamp of approval on it? Is that a part of our Christian culture he would applaud? What about rampant capitalism (corporations are people)?

We, as a culture, are far from what I imagine Jesus finding commendable. It's not worth defending, in my opinion. At least not for that.

<< 4  5  6   >>

join