It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canaanite DNA disproves the Bible? Or, Canaanite DNA disproves media’s ability to read the Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I was not sure I wanted to make a thread on this but here I am ,making a thread .I guess the reason is simple .Just like its possible for the regular person to get the facts wrong ,the news sites that create it can too . One would think that "fake news" or the possibility of something being fake should be the new norm for the regular reader and the new news should look deeper into their facts .

In this case its really a mix bag . The DNA study seems to be fine . Its how the different outlets ran with the data .It is also about the different outlets response to some of the misleading work they were putting out and not fully owning up to their responsibility to their readers . Its easy to make a error and usually easy to correct them some times . We seem to take for granted that the science guys and tech savvy would be running at higher standards then a CNN or NYT and WPO but either they have a agenda or just don't care too

“Bronze Age DNA disproves the Bible’s claim that the Canaanites were wiped out: Study says their genes live on in modern-day Lebanese people” (Daily Mail) “Bible says Canaanites were wiped out by Israelites but scientists just found their descendants living in Lebanon” (The Independent) “Scientists Find Evidence That Ancient Canaanites Survive Today: Was The Bible Wrong?” (Tech Times) “New DNA study casts doubt on Bible claim” (Mother Nature Network) “The Bible was WRONG: Civilisation God ordered to be KILLED still live and kicking” (Express) “Genetic evidence suggests the Canaanites weren’t destroyed after all” (Ars Technica) “Canaanites Weren’t Annihilated by Ancient Israelites After All” (Newser) “Study disproves the Bible’s claim that the ancient Canaanites were wiped out” (Click Lancashire) “DNA vs the Bible: Israelites did not wipe out the Canaanites” (Cosmos) “The Bible got it wrong: Ancient Canaanites survived and their DNA lives in modern-day Lebanese” (Pulse Headlines)1,2 It will help to quote Scripture at some length, just to show how ludicrous these headlines really are. Problem: the Bible says exactly the opposite of what these news outlets claim!
creation.com...

Did The Bible Get It Wrong? Well Tech Times seems to think so

For a long time, researchers could only look through ancient Greek and Egyptian texts, as well as accounts from the Bible, to learn about the mysterious Canaanites, but the new evidence seems to suggest that the Bible has made a mistake. Then again, the contents of the Bible were translated mostly from dead languages so there is a big probability that the translation was either wrong or the meaning of the words have changed over time — the same way that what we consider finite numbers now seemed infinite for ancient people.
www.techtimes.com...

They make some claims in that that are not only wrong but misleading .Maybe its a good thing that small kids don't read sciency or Techy stuff . But what about the adults ? Think about the adults ...oh the humanity of it all .

So how do these news sources fix the issue of error or inaccuracy ...

Not even ‘reputable’ sources were immune from this. Science added this “update” to their article: Update, 12:00 p.m., 28 July: This story and its headline have been updated to reflect that in the Bible, God ordered the destruction of the Canaanites, but that some cities and people may have survived. Some “may have survived”!? The Bible says they definitely survived, and persisted in the land, exactly as the DNA evidence indicates! And what was the original title of the Science article? “Ancient DNA counters biblical account of the mysterious Canaanites”.3 In other words, a title worthy of the ‘list of shame’ above.
creation.com...

The NYT piece surprised me www.nytimes.com...

eta Rather then make another thread for this jem I will add it to this thread ...Russians to Investigate Whether America Really Landed on the Moon

edit on 4-8-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

if i'm not mistaken the Canaanites were spread all out, and many lived in the mountains. it is possible that the
Israelites didn't go far enough into the mountains.

also the Phoenicians / Philistines became Canaanites after moving in and inter marrying.

ETA:

The Canaanite-Phoenicians are also known as the inventors of the alphabet, among many other things. The area of present-day Lebanon and the wider Eastern Mediterranean were subjugated by Cyrus in 539 BCE.[25] The Persians forced some of its population to migrate to Carthage, which remained a powerful nation until the Second Punic War. After two centuries of Persian rule, Macedonian ruler Alexander the Great attacked and burned Tyre, the most prominent Phoenician city. He conquered what is now Lebanon and other nearby regions of the Eastern Mediterranean in 332 BCE.[25][25]
Ancient Lebanon

edit on 4-8-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I remember learning that the Caananite cities were destroyed. I don't remember the Bible ever saying that every last Caananite was killed.

Tech Times fails reading comprehension

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

The Bible makes mention of 3 areas that Joshua failed to conquer .The Gaza strip ,Lebanon ,and Damascus ...The 3 places that are a big issue with Israel today . Funny how some things never change eh ?

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

The Bible makes mention of 3 areas that Joshua failed to conquer .The Gaza strip ,Lebanon ,and Damascus ...The 3 places that are a big issue with Israel today . Funny how some things never change eh ?

LOL! That explains a lot about the state of affairs in/around Israel.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Maybe some problems exist with WHO wrote the Bible.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Is it going to be the next big excuse for an Israeli invasion of Lebanon ?

YA'ALON: ISRAEL WILL DESTROY LEBANON'S INFRASTRUCTURE IN NEXT WAR

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Agreed, we are talking genetics, not visible culture.

A gal could have been married off or sold off into slavery to another area, I'm sure the Israelites didnt hunt down distant relatives that had just one Canaanite granny.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Judges ch1 goes into more detail about the many areas which retained the original inhaibtants.
That is why the gods of the Canaanites had so much influence on the minds of the Israelites.
That, in turn, is why later writers thought it a mistake that the Canaanites were not wiped out. The commands to wipe them out are really restrospective comments on what should have happened.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
if i'm not mistaken the Canaanites were spread all out, and many lived in the mountains. it is possible that the
Israelites didn't go far enough into the mountains.

The other way round. The Canaanites were powerful in the plains. They had chariots. The Israelites were almost restricted to the hills until they managed to defeat that power. That was the importance of the great battle celebrated in Judges chs4&5. Judges, rather than Joshua, is the book to read for a true grasp on the history.

edit on 4-8-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

sorry beg to differ, a lot of them canaanites were also called other ites.

1. The HIVITES dwelt in the northern part of the country, at the foot of mount Hermon, or Anti-Lebanon, according to Joshua 11:3, where it is related that they, along with the united forces of northern Canaan, were defeated by Joshua.They were not, however, entirely driven out of their possessions, Jud 3:3 2Sa 24:7 1 Kings 9:20. There were also Hivites in middle Palestine, Genesis 34:2 Joshua 19:1,7 11:19.

4. The JEBUSITES had possession of the hill country around Jerusalem, and of that city itself, of which the ancient name was Jebus, Joshua 15:8,63 18:28.The Benjamites, to whom this region was allotted, did not drive out the Jebusites, Jude 1:21. David first captured the citadel of Jebus, 2 Samuel 5:6.

The Israelites, when they were led to the Promised Land, were commanded utterly to destroy the descendants of Canaan then possessing it (Exodus 23:23; Numbers 33:52, 53; Deuteronomy 20:16, 17). This was to be done "by little and little," lest the beasts of the field should increase (Exodus 23:29; Deuteronomy 7:22, 23). The history of these wars of conquest is given in the Book of Joshua. The extermination of these tribes, however, was never fully carried out. Jerusalem was not taken till the time of David (2 Samuel 5:6, 7). In the days of Solomon bond-service was exacted from the fragments of the tribes still remaining in the land (1 Kings 9:20, 21). Even after the return from captivity survivors of five of the Canaanitish tribes were still found in the land.

above from,
◄ Canaanites ►

ETA: ah and the part i ment to add,

2.2. The CANAANITES, in a restricted sense, inhabited partly the plains on the coast of the Mediterranean sea, Numbers 13:29 Joshua 11:3..

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Fair enough. I think we're both right. There were different kinds of Canaanites in both areas.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Science and the media are sometimes too quick in trying to disprove the metaphysical, the Divine, and especially Judeo-Christian beliefs, that they are willing to trumpet even fallacies without ever fact-checking. It goes the other way too, in that sometimes the devout will ignore concrete scientific fact in order to sustain preconceived interpretations.

Some believe that the Hebrew-Israelites emerged as an autonomous people from within the Canaanite people themselves. I, myself, tend to side with this hypothesis.

Beyond the various transgressions of the Hebrew-Israelites against God during their occupation of the Land of Canaan, I am of the opinion that since the Hebrew-Israelites did not obey the LORD God in absolute ethnic cleansing and genocide, that the "Land of Milk and Honey" was never fully divinely vested to them.
(I do not support ethnic cleansing or genocide, I am only rationalizing the Biblical narrative)

Also, the existence of the Palestinians (natives peoples of Palestine prior to and during the great aliyahs) is proof enough that descendants of the Canaanites exist today.

All, my opinion of course.
edit on 8/4/17 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Just a thought, but this might be more an issue of people pointing fingers at the dark side of Christianity, rather than disproving a specific biblical claim..

This topic is lose , lose for Christianity because it is concerning GOD ORDERING THE GENOCIDE OF AN ENTIRE RACE OF PEOPLE...

MAN , WOMAN , CHILD AND ANIMAL..

And the Israelites did it to the best of their ability.. does it really matter if they missed a few????

This week every website and news source has run TWO stories on GENOCIDES BY GOD...

LOL... that is what's known as bad press win or lose.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
This just proves that all caananites were not killed. Back then they usually killed the males and any women who would not go along with the new people being overthrown. Sometimes unconditionable children were also killed.

The Caananites were spread all over the place, I think that there is some misinterpretation done in the bible on this subject.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Not to mention that the whole term "Canaanite" simply referred to the descendants of the Prophet Noah's grandson Canaan. Many different ethnic groups and civilizations would fit that description, such as the Hittites/Hethites, whose namesake Heth was one of Canaan's many sons.

It's like how the word "Semite" simply refers to the descendants of the Prophet Noah's son Shem/Sem. Many different ethnic groups and civilizations also fit that description.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I think either way it is lose lose for the abrahamic religions...

Every news source on the planet is running stories reminding people of God ordering people to commit genocide...

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Who knows. People who have seen Jurassic Park assume that's what dinosaurs looked like, it couldn't be further from the truth. Raptors had feathers and were much smaller in real life, and just like Spielberg biblical scholars could have made many mistakes and couldn't be more wrong.

I've read about the scientific reasoning behind the parting of the red sea and the story of the deluge and science may have provided evidence that suggests they may been real events, but evidence of the exodus and Noah's ark have proven elusive. As for the bible interpretations there has been about fifteen gazillion versions written, hell a portly, punchable fat piece of stool started his own church so he could get a divorce without evoking the wrath of god despite having his wives executed.

Religion is the art of contradiction-at least science has a basis in reality.

edit on 4-8-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: theultimatebelgianjoke

Is it going to be the next big excuse for an Israeli invasion of Lebanon ?

YA'ALON: ISRAEL WILL DESTROY LEBANON'S INFRASTRUCTURE IN NEXT WAR

Next big excuse?

It certainly explains Beirut.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I read it as...

'If you want a promised land where there is everything you want, you can have it but you have to wipe out EVERYONE there to get it. This is where you decide your moral standing. Remove them all and you will not have to face disruption at a later time. Everything will be as promised. If you don't, then you will have strife down the road'.

They didn't follow through with the full of it.

The fact that there are traces of ancestral DNA in a group of peoples doesn't mean that they survived. We know that some races or groups of people were wiped out throughout our time on earth and yet there are still traces of them in everyone. That culture or group of people.. by their name or whatever, could have still been wiped out, though the bible doesn't say they did, only that they were supposed to... but seems like it also says that Hebrew didn't fully carry it out.

It's hard to believe that you could exterminate a race of people completely because some of their lineage would have branched off, got in with other races or kingdoms, etc, and the DNA survived.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join