It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Found a Second Giant Garbage Patch in the Pacific!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

We could be "sentenced" to our planet until we clean it up. And probably get rid of our nukes too. Like that is going to happen any time soon.

Check out the link from horseplay.

That cheered me up a bit. A glimmer of hope.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Mikehawk

I live in Michigan. I do not dump any plastic in the ocean. I should not and do not feel responsible for this.

Saying that I should not use plastic is silly, I either throw it away or recycle it. Either way if it ends up in the ocean something is wrong with the disposal chain, and it isn't on my end.

Hey Seasonal,

I am not picking on you my friend. We are responsible for what we are a part of. I know my complicity, hopefully you will learn yours one day. Your bank card is made from plastic, if you use cash, the cash itself and the storage and distribution of it had a use of plastic, the creation of plastic causes toxic by products, these byproducts end up in the weirdest places.

The use of plastic makes you complicit in its creation.

You're not enemy number one but your willful ignorance on the matter makes you part of the problem, I speak to you as an equal as I am equally complicit perhaps even more...

We're all gears in the machine.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikehawk

I worked for 17 years in a plastic plant. Every drop of anything had better go where it is supposed to or guess what. Fines.

You are under the assumption that I am responsible for a person in Brazil tossing a bag of trash off his boat. Not even in the ball park.
I agree we are really stupid with natural resources, but on this one, I have no feeling of responsibility.

I can drive 15 miles and see where the garbage trucks dump the loads of trash, mine included. Not ideal, but it is not the ocean.
There is enough in this world to feel guilty about, this one I do not.

Perhaps you can enlighten me on how I am responsible for some dumb ass (who knows it is wrong) who is too cheap to pay to have his trash taken care of responsibly?

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I started to wonder what the heck is out that way and came across this article.

BBC.com - The place furthest from land is known as Point Nemo.

When you hear of satellites falling into the ocean, this where they aim it to crash. It is 1,000 miles equidistant from 3 islands. One of those is in Antarctica! Is also inside the Southern Gyre.

"Nemo" mean "no one" in Latin. Jules Vern and outer space, huh? Thanks beebs for the trivia!

a reply to: Plotus

I tried looking for this information and came across something even more scary! Radiation from Fukushima is warming the North Pacific.

optimalprediction.com - Fukushima radioactive contamination is rapidly warming North Pacific seawater.

It is called "decay heat" and when dealing with radioactive materials that is what they do, decay and give off heat. The statistical anomaly in the report bans natural sources. And the temperatures started rising in 2011.

I don't think the temperature change from plastic even compares! The graph shows repeated spikes that grow in summer and cool in winter for the No. Pacific. If the plastic island has been around for 30 years it has not budged the graph. Fuku has though.

edit on 25-7-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarity

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The answer is simple...

Mass genocide of the human race. Exterminate mankind...completely! Right?

Just kill off all the humans on the face of the Earth, and problem solved.

Right?

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

You may find this 3 part series interesting, it's a vice documentary and they go out looking for the garbage pile, they do not find one, what they do find however is disturbing.

All the plastic and rubbish had been churned up and not visible to the eye, it could be seen via satellite however. Essentially a thin layer of invisible plastic is sitting in our oceans go right through the food chain and back into our stomachs.

edit on 25-7-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

Sweden are burning their trash for energy, and surprisingly less polluting way than it sounds.

I believe this would be perfect fuel for any country willing to include that type of power generation.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Some day it will get so big that people will probably be able to live on it.

That or the entire island will just wash up on a coast like a giant blob.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I don't know how to clean up the ocean but we have invented a living plastic made out of a fungus then heated or cooled once the object being made is completed. Furniture, shoes, etc can be made from it.

Completely biodegradable and quite sturdy

Once its marketable it will likely replace a good portion of our plastics if not all.
edit on 26-7-2017 by AkontaDarkpaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

To think future generations will look back at ours with disgust we all let this happen and it is our grand kids who will really deal with it all.
Kinda ashamed of myself now

Bad humanity bad!.

who cares the young people of this world are already dealing with a complete # show financially and politically mine as well destroy the earth as well!

make it real interesting for them!

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

No just most of them.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Hi new here, it is really bad, but it doesn't surprise me. I like what this guy did, if more were like this, maybe less rubbish.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TreasureHunterTony

That is one very likeable guy, what an absolute legend.

He just confirmed to me during that little vid that one of the major contributors to warming this planet is because of our cities and how the sun radiates of the tarmac.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Hi, yes, it made me think of it, when I read the post, thought some others if haven't seen it may like it, the bloke cracks me up, he's from Middlesbrough

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I've noticed if you scramble the letters to your name you get ''Fear not weed, not what is''.

edit on 26-7-2017 by TreasureHunterTony because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Indeed SUCKS that some people treat the ocean(s) like a landfill. Just completely unnecessary. I'm not some environmental hippy, but seeing crap like this is irritating. Reminds me of this video I saw not too long ago:

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TreasureHunterTony

I like anagrams too.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

You mentioned some people, its far more than some people that litter this world, its a sad state where only a minority care for their environment.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Yes, they call you a tree hugger or something or just find you some weak person.. it's also like ''what can we do about it?''.

Also most people are just out of touch with nature, we should learn kids on schools how to grow plants and such, go out in nature, tell/learn them why it's so special/important...

It's possible.. I mean it was normal that everyone was smoking, even at work places.. try it now.

But governments should work together on it and should only allow plastic and packaging which are environment friendly and recyclable.
Also ban combustion engines etc etc..

Also another example, most of the stuff we buy are made in cheap labor country's where they mostly don't have any regulations for pollution and such.. then they get shipped by the most polluting container ships, the 15 biggest ships produce more sulfur oxide pollutants than all the cars in the world, because they run on completely different fuels..although there is improvement in this area already..
edit on 26-7-2017 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I hear your rhetoric... You know what I don't hear? Solutions. Or, are you one of those who thinks financial "stability" is more "important" than the habitat that sustains you? Hey, I understand your point, but it's not conducive to anything, certainly not dialogue
edit on 26-7-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join