It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump uses Canadian company to sell ‘Made in America’ merchandise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
www.dailydot.com...

The Trump administration this month honored U.S. companies as part of “Made in America” week—but one key component was decidedly un-American. President Donald Trump used Shopify, a Canadian e-commerce company founded by Germans, to sell “proudly made in USA” products on his website, the Daily Dot discovered. Shopify is headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and was founded, in part, by German-born Tobias Lütke and Daniel Weinand in 2004. Lütke is also Shopify’s CEO. The company processed purchases from100 million shoppers in 2016, according to Fortune.

I'm not really even surprised anymore.

In April, Trump signed an executive order called “Buy American and Hire American.” The order stated: “It shall be the policy of the executive branch to buy American and hire American.”

It just boggles the mind at the hypocrisy.

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Tue Jul 25 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Would you rather he use China or Mexico?

Either way he didn't specify sell online American...or did I miss something?

Technically speaking...Canada IS part of the greater NORTH AMERICA. So I personally don't see anything wrong with him using this e-com avenue.
edit on 24-7-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

Technically speaking...Canada IS part of the greater NORTH AMERICA. So I personally don't see anything wrong with him using this e-com avenue.

I would rather he used an American Company to sell his MAGA trinkets. I thought that's was how you make America great again by using American labor and companies.....not Canadian. That's what Trump himself said in his buy and hire American in his Executive order. Did you forget?

www.whitehouse.gov...

edit on 24-7-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

using American labor

If the goods are manufactured in the US, then that's what he's doing.

Using an online merchant site that does little more than accept and transmit credit card information is hardly the huge slight against America you're trying to make it out to be. A company selling their schwag in New Jersey that uses Shopify to handle their transactions on merchandise they sourced and produced locally isn't quite the same as a company in China selling stuff they've sourced and produced locally.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Maybe the e-system this company has is way more efficient or has better channels of distribution. Either way product still has to leave the US so I am assuming American transportation services will be used to get the products out of the states. Moreover, the terms "Made in America" vs "Product of America" are 2 different but have a similar meaning fyi

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

using American labor

If the goods are manufactured in the US, then that's what he's doing.

Using an online merchant site that does little more than accept and transmit credit card information is hardly the huge slight against America you're trying to make it out to be. A company selling their schwag in New Jersey that uses Shopify to handle their transactions on merchandise they sourced and produced locally isn't quite the same as a company in China selling stuff they've sourced and produced locally.

Very much agreed!

So if someone is going be all nit picky picky down to the last nickel how G&S are sold in US then you have a very small way of thinking. Trump looks at things macroscopically vs microscopically like the OP.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

I've said it before: Trump, along with every other administration in history, says and does enough stuff worthy of paying attention to that there's no need to go out and manufacture things and manufacture outrage (unless you're manufacturing it here in the good ol' U.S. of A....amirite?!?).

Getting worked up about things like this is just silly, and finding boogeymen that aren't really there behind the curtains.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Eh, I have to agree with you on this for sure, and many of you know how I feel about trump. Canada, although it is not the USA, its Canada for goodness sake. If it were India I would be PO.

So many of the right(who are wrong) think that I just hate trump because I am a Dem, (which I always now point out never voted for Obama once!), no I just hate all of the stupid things he and his staff( which includes his family,and apparently all supporters clearly think they are qualified) does, this is not really one of those cases for me.

edit on 24-7-2017 by kurthall because: fix

edit on 24-7-2017 by kurthall because: fix

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

No need to spin it....Trump could have used plenty of American companies. It's just more Trump lies...believe me.

upcity.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
On this..a big nothingburger, not like it's China or India..I'm happy to find stuff made in North America. Canada and the U.S. are huge mutual trading partners.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Those dirty Canadians! I knew they were teaming with the Germans to steal jobs from the Mexicans that American workers could perform!

It must be a conspiracy!!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Why didn't he just use "Amazon.com".

He has no excuse.

This is a deliberate snub, on a good american co.

He can't not have known about the existence of Amazon.

Maybe he thought Amazon was a Brazilian business?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It reminds me of that time that the Obama administration used a Canadian company to sell Obamacare.
Surprising.... it was so great it should have sold itself.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

This just in: Shopify allows merchants to sell via Amazon.

Starting about seven months ago.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I would rather he used an American Company to sell his MAGA trinkets. I thought that's was how you make America great again by using American labor and companies.....not Canadian. That's what Trump himself said in his buy and hire American in his Executive order. Did you forget?

www.whitehouse.gov...

So, now that we're holding people to do as they say, I suppose you'll be jumping down the throats of all the private jet climate change pushers right?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Why didn't he just use "Amazon.com".

Or EBay?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I actually like our Canadian neighbors.

<<   2 >>

join