It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's jobless economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
www.counterpunch.org...

The January jobs report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics continues the bad news of the past four years. During President Bush's first term, the US economy had a net loss of three-quarters of a million private sector jobs. Despite three years of economic recovery, fewer Americans are employed in the private sector today than when Bush was first inaugurated four years ago.

The slight decline in the unemployment rate reported for January is not the result of new jobs; it is the result of large numbers of discouraged people, many with university degrees, dropping out of the work force. They cannot find employment and have given up looking.

During Bush's first term, the once fabled US economy has been unable to create jobs in export sectors or in import-competitive sectors. January's 134,000 new private sector jobs are in domestic services that cannot be outsourced: couriers and messengers, food services and drinking places, health care and social assistance, educational services, temporary help, retail, and credit intermediation.

How it it possible the president can look us in the face and say different?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Because he is an expert at lying, and feels that his agenda is more important than telling the truth to the public or actually doing what he says. I have no respect for his type of leadership. Of course these types baffle me how they can convince people to elect them despite their less than spotless track-record. I think it says more about our nation as a whole than about our elected leaders - that we allow people who lie to obtain any form of authority.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The amazing thing is that most people do not know about the job situation

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Well, the president said there were plenty of jobs. So thats that. There must be.

Check again.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Uhhhh...That report said that the number of jobs increased, just not to expected levels. So, uhh, if jobs are increasing...doesn't that inprove your chances of getting one? Just because they didn't rise as much as expected doesn't mean the number of jobs were lowered...

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and before Bush came into office, there were these buildings in New York which were the financial center of the world. Now, they're not there. I dunno if you remember that little incident, but I sure do.

[edit on 2-8-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Yes, and after Bush got into office, was told we were going to be attacked, was given documents telling him same thing, but he was busy being on vacation so did nothing and now those buildings aren't there.

Anyways, still wish McDonalds or Wal-Mart would hire me, be corporate Americas bitch, but a paycheck! Something I haven't seen yet.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hey Jungle you forgot to mention, the jobs that are growing are at Mcdonalds and Walmart. No factory jobs or jobs you can make a living.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
So, what do you intend to do about the lack of good jobs besides bitch & complain?

Get out & create some jobs instead of expecting others to lead you and create them for you.

I see absolutely zero purpose in whining about this.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Uniquely American.....
Having three jobs that is....
---------------------
Uniquely American:
----------------------------------------------------------
THE PRESIDENT: I remember when I turned 50, I used to think 50 was really old. Now I think it's young, and getting ready to turn 60 here in a couple of years, and I still feel young. I mean, we are living longer, and people are working longer, and the truth of the matter is, elderly baby boomers have got a lot to offer to our society, and we shouldn't think about giving up our responsibilities in society. (Applause.) Isn't that right?

MS. MORNIN: That's right.

THE PRESIDENT: Yes, but nevertheless, there's a certain comfort to know that the promises made will be kept by the government.

MS. MORNIN: Yes.

THE PRESIDENT: And so thank you for asking that. You don't have to worry.

MS. MORNIN: That's good, because I work three jobs and I feel like I contribute.

THE PRESIDENT: You work three jobs?

MS. MORNIN: Three jobs, yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that. (Applause.) Get any sleep? (Laughter.)

MS. MORNIN: Not much. Not much.

THE PRESIDENT: Well, hopefully, this will help you get you sleep to know that when we talk about Social Security, nothing changes.

MS. MORNIN: Okay, thank you.

www.prnewswire.com.../www/story/02-04-2005/0002951038&EDATE=

--------------------------
yes, working three jobs to make up for the one that went overseas probably is unique to America!!
Yes, Mrs. MORNIN, we all think it's just fabulous that you find yourself sleep deprived and exhaused trying to juggle it all!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The topic isnt whining in nature. It is informative as to what the current job situation is.

As a university student going everywhere for internship possibilities, I can attest to the lack of meaningful jobs from a personal perspective. Nearly half of the companies I have approached are "no longer offering internships due to downsizing" dispite it being a cost effective form of employment. Last summer I had to work as a bar tender intead... hardly something to start my intended professional career.

Also, I am in no position to create any jobs. I'd like you to try and go to an out of work bicycle shop owner, or management consultant, or a professional welder, and tell them to create jobs for themselves. That is just silly.

The job situation is pretty bad. From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the unemployment rate is fairly "normal." However, an interesting point was brought up. Many would be job seekers have dropped out of the labor supply, totally disillusioned. How many professionals have dropped out of the labor supply, living on a severance and savings for 6 months, not even looking because within the first 3 months all possible employment opportunities rejected them becasue "we aren't hiring" or "we're only hiring a few people, even though you woulda made the cut, we can only hire X many"

I personally know of an example of this. My friend's father was doing Assurances and Risk management and a little Mgmt Consulting on the side. He was part of a reputable firm, and his career proper spanned 20 years. He is 55. He is a limo driver now, he had to sell his boat, his project car, 4800sqft home, his two cars. They were just kicked out of their 2 bedroom 1200sqft home because they couldnt pay rent/bills/car payment with the money hes earning. He had to move to his mothers house, who just passed away in order to stay out of bankruptcy. My friend had to drop out of university.

He is seriously thinking about seeking employment as a truck driver, in afghanistan, for Halliburton, because they pay 50 grand for 6 months work. Which is the kind of money he hasnt seen in 3 years. Oh yeah, irony as fates finest tool, the man voted for bush both times.

Don't tell me the economy is good, because it isnt.

[edit on 9-2-2005 by Galvatron]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
People if you want a job the defense contractor companies have plenty but you have to be able to get a security check at least be able to provided information for the last 10 years of you life.

You have to be either retire military service man in a specialized job or have a degree in engineering.

Also you may need to be close to a military base.

That is were the money is going, and the jobs are being open, so if you pass the requirements and have a clean pass, you can get hired

Now if you think fast food jobs and walmart are jobs to feed a family then yes we have jobs and you can always feed you family with left overs.

Now remember with the cuts on medicaid and higher prices on medicines you are going to need more that a macdonald job.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Good link, Dg.

The answer to your question is simple. Bush is a part of this nation's financial elite. Nothing that happens with the US economy affects him. And, his allegience is not to this nation, or to our citizens; but, to the international bankers and war profiteers that he serves.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snowman9
Hey Jungle you forgot to mention, the jobs that are growing are at Mcdonalds and Walmart. No factory jobs or jobs you can make a living.

Quit bitching Snowman!
No one said you can't get a job at each place! You'd be lucky to have such high quality employment with such caring corporate masters!

The New American Way - Three shytty jobs and no health insurance! Hip-hip-hooray!

Now go fall into your daily tv trance and accept your consumer programming!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069

Because he is an expert at lying, and feels that his agenda is more important than telling the truth to the public or actually doing what he says. I have no respect for his type of leadership. Of course these types baffle me how they can convince people to elect them despite their less than spotless track-record. I think it says more about our nation as a whole than about our elected leaders - that we allow people who lie to obtain any form of authority.

It baffles me as well. I can only surmise that the reason he got elected the first time was because he was gonna be our President whether we liked it or not. Hanging chads and Al Gore's personality were the smoke and mirrors. As far as him getting re-elected, it's simple, he and posse scared the living shat out of a majority of well meaning, hard working Americans. I would like to use words like "brainwashing" and "conditioning", but those words seem to just infuriate and isolate the brainwashed and conditioned even more. The psychological tactics that have been used by this administration have been nothing less than genius.

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
Get out & create some jobs instead of expecting others to lead you and create them for you.

Isn't the president's job to lead and look out for the county's population?

Errr...sorry! I must have drifted into a imaginary reality again where logic and honesty rule.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Yes, and after Bush got into office, was told we were going to be attacked, was given documents telling him same thing, but he was busy being on vacation so did nothing and now those buildings aren't there.

Anyways, still wish McDonalds or Wal-Mart would hire me, be corporate Americas bitch, but a paycheck! Something I haven't seen yet.

ahhhh yes... would it be those same reports that President Clinton received and did nothing about... not to mention any other presidents that might have "known" something...

there was no way ANYONE knew of an attack of this magnitude...

I'm sorry for the unemployment situation, I really am.... but I don't think that you can blame one person.. especially the President...

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
ahhhh yes... would it be those same reports that President Clinton received and did nothing about... not to mention any other presidents that might have "known" something...

there was no way ANYONE knew of an attack of this magnitude...

Elevatedone, you certainly have the right to your opinion, but let me say that I have never seen an administration shift blame away from themselves like this one. They have never been accountable for ANYTHING!!! It's never Bush's fault, it's Clinton's fault and if it's something positive, well you can be sure that Bush and his cabinet will be the first in line to receive their accolades. Personally I think they would be able to deflect criticism a whole lot easier and gain the support of an even broader base if they, just once, admitted they were wrong about something. I don't care if it's Bush admitting that he's the one that pissed on the White House toilet seat. Just give me something!!!!

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
People if you want a job the defense contractor companies have plenty but you have to be able to get a security check at least be able to provided information for the last 10 years of you life.

This is only partially true. Not saying I disagree at all. But as an Ex-Military, Ex-Government Contractor, and Ex-Civil Service. I have a bit more info to add here. First off, They are currently ONLY looking for people WITH Current Security Clearances. This saves them thousands of dollars in having to get the FULL background investigations done on you.

Now this is a great idea, saves them money... But also limits the number of available applicants to very Few. Many of whom are currently activated Reservists currently serving in Iraq (Yes I personally know a dozen or so that were reservist called up that would love these high paying jobs back here away from gunfire)

Also Many Require that you may have to get an even Higher Security Clearance, this costs them a lil less but still costs them thousands, so if your Current Clearance is at the level that is actually needed for the job you are considered others with the minimum clearance are put below that and those without current Security Clearances are completely ignored, even if you have held those clearances before.

Originally posted by marg6043
You have to be either retire military service man in a specialized job or have a degree in engineering.

Even this doesn't quarantee consideration. Like I said I am All of the Above but with over 10 years since I had my last Background Investigation I am not a valid candidate. And I am applying actively. My current job is between 15k-30k less than what I was making in the late 90's early 00's period. Trust me my Wife and I would love for me to get back into Civil Service, Government Contract Jobs.

Phae

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
The psychological tactics that have been used by this administration have been nothing less than genius.

Straight out of Hitler's playbook. Anyone who denies that should really go back and study Hitler's rise and reign.

new topics

top topics

join