It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy Has First Female Applicants for SEALs- identifis as being transgender

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Started with 2 female applicants, one is no longer in the program. But one remains.

www.military.com...
A spokesman for Naval Special Warfare Command, Capt. Jason Salata, confirmed to Military.com this week that a single female enlisted candidate remained in the training pipeline for Special Warfare Combatant Crewman, or SWCC.

The story goes into transgender and the policy the Navy has to ensure approval of transitioning.
This is a odd thing to bring up, and I wonder why it is an issue if the person has what it takes to get through the training. But the fact that a transitioned/transitioning person is in the training is a new milestone.

It's possible, however, that the first female member of these elite communities will come not from the outside, but from within. In October, a SWCC petty officer notified their chain-of-command that they identified as being transgender, Salata confirmed to Military.com.

According to Navy policy guidance released last fall, a sailor must receive a doctor's diagnosis of medical necessity and command approval to begin the gender transition process, which can take a variety of different forms, from counseling and hormone therapy to surgery. Sailors must also prove they can pass the physical standards and requirements of the gender to which they are transitioning.

The story is very vague and is vague for good reason, if a person can gut the training hats off to them.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Reminds me of G.I. Jane!

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I don't think you will find a Demi Moore in the SEALs yet.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

You should look up Kristen Beck. She's a politician who was a Seal for years before transitioning. She's pretty bad ass and politically moderate, to boot.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
In a word ... cool!

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Hats off. Tough cookie right there.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I bet no one would call her mentally ill to her face lol.
Good on them if they can do the job I see no problem at all.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'd say that's one tough hombre, to go through all the grueling training and doing it, while plugging your blow hole and adding a snorkle or vice versa for that matter. I know sooner or later we will be able to drop all those firsts because in an truly equal PC world it really shouldn't even be a story. Id almost bet the person involved would like it to just be considered no big deal, on some level.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
I'd say that's one tough hombre, to go through all the grueling training and doing it, while plugging your blow hole and adding a snorkle or vice versa for that matter. I know sooner or later we will be able to drop all those firsts because in an truly equal PC world it really shouldn't even be a story. Id almost bet the person involved would like it to just be considered no big deal, on some level.

Personally, I just strive for indifference from people regarding that aspect of my life. I get that now and it's wonderful. When your unusual gender status is maybe 10th on the list of what somebody find interesting about you, I call that a win.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The only issue I would worry about would be transition I guess while in service. They may have a method to ease in hormone therapy but I wouldn't want someone to have a breakdown or be distracted during a transition.

I assume they have mental and stress testing however, so it's probably just ignorance on my part.
edit on 21-7-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

At some point people are going to have to live and let live. Im just human enough lol SO whenever I get that prejudice itch I try and say OK what if that was your kid, wouldn't you love them regardless.. Especially when the are doing something so selfless and honorable. Freaking life is tough enough as it is.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
My only question would be this;

When / how does this person transition? I think it would be rather unfair on all the other seals if the soldier is allowed to go full gender reassignment while on the programme.

It kinda goes against the whole toughest soldiers on the planet ethos if we start letting people take time out to have their bits chopped off.

However, if the person has had their transition or will wait until they are discharged, then if they can hack it, then let them go for it I say. If I were say ISIS in Syria, I would be most worried about being killed by the hands of a very angry she man lol.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

she won't make it...

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: STANDARD

That is for time and get own personal mettle to tell.

Even is she doesn't, she tried. And the army let her. Both are positive things for transgender people.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Swcc is not seals. It's difficult to qualify but nowhere near as tough as seal training. Besides a woman dosing on steroids isn't exactly a woman. You do know that's why they'll identify as male right? So they can legally do steroids.

Jaden

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Well, if s/he wants to apply I say go for it. But, the exact same levels of physical and mental ability must apply that the male navy Seals endure.

No grace or sympathy or 'extra' should be given if s/he is suffering from some 'gender' related stress.

The Navy SEALs, like all special forces, are no place for precious snowflakes...

top topics

join