It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Navy Tests World’s First Laser Weapons System

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Even with the R&D costs it will be cheaper than the Standard family, or the Harpoon. They spent roughly $40M over 6 years to develop the LAWS system. In 2011, they spent $120M for 60 Harpoon Block II missiles.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

But it seems they've done it?

What's your opinion?

peace

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: InspectorGadget13
This is actually quite old news, I think the first test videos came out in 2015

Bout right. They caught the engine of a small boat on fire if I remember correctly .

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is so cool.

American Military Might, DAMN I LOVE IT.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

for squirrels too!

It won't be long until this tech is hacked/copied and in the hands of Rednecks who will be overheard...."hold my beer, watch this"...

edit on 7/18/2017 by jalmo1 because: finished the thought and fixed a typo.........and probably introduced a few more......

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wasn't there a turret pod mounted system they were playing with for one of the variants of the F-35?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Don't be a fool... everyone knows this was the first laser test.

youtu.be...

Can't embed on cell....

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jalmo1

The F-35 is getting a DIRCM system. They're working on a C-130 turret mounted system. There was talk once about putting a laser on the F-35, but it hasn't gone anywhere. They have to get the power levels up first.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
breakingdefense.com...

Looks like the Army is also prepping for directed energy weapons on their platforms, like the Striker.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: silo13

None of them are large enough to carry one.

Raytheon just did the following:

I grant you that this is still a long way from field service, but this system could certainly be mounted on a large drone. It would be relatively easy to build a drone specifically for use with laser weapons like these.

That said, I know the Apache had to be power limited in order to use that pod. But a purpose build aerial platform for laser systems would be awesome.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The problem becomes weight and room. There aren't any large UAVs that have the capability to carry something even that small right now.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You don't suppose the Global Hawk could carry one of these do you?
edit on 20 7 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Probably not. It's got a 3,000 lb payload, but they can't carry a really big bulky setup like that. There are a couple rumored things that may be on the drawing board though.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Probably not. It's got a 3,000 lb payload, but they can't carry a really big bulky setup like that. There are a couple rumored things that may be on the drawing board though.

I can't imagine this laser pod weighs much more than the T700 engine powering it.

The T700 701Ds this Apache is equipped with only weigh about 430 lbs.

You would definitely need a counter balance. Maybe an external generator.
edit on 20 7 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

It's probably within their payload capability, but they don't have the space for it. They don't have a big payload bay area. They're only set up for fairly small camera systems, not something that big and bulky.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
A fiery-balled foo fighter [an alien starship that is housed inside a magnetic shield that contains fusion plasma] should be impervious to laser strikes from such a system.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join