It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Navy Tests World’s First Laser Weapons System

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Even with the R&D costs it will be cheaper than the Standard family, or the Harpoon. They spent roughly $40M over 6 years to develop the LAWS system. In 2011, they spent $120M for 60 Harpoon Block II missiles.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

But it seems they've done it?

What's your opinion?

peace

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: InspectorGadget13
This is actually quite old news, I think the first test videos came out in 2015

Bout right. They caught the engine of a small boat on fire if I remember correctly .

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is so cool.

American Military Might, DAMN I LOVE IT.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

for squirrels too!

It won't be long until this tech is hacked/copied and in the hands of Rednecks who will be overheard...."hold my beer, watch this"...

edit on 7/18/2017 by jalmo1 because: finished the thought and fixed a typo.........and probably introduced a few more......

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wasn't there a turret pod mounted system they were playing with for one of the variants of the F-35?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Don't be a fool... everyone knows this was the first laser test.

youtu.be...

Can't embed on cell....

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jalmo1

The F-35 is getting a DIRCM system. They're working on a C-130 turret mounted system. There was talk once about putting a laser on the F-35, but it hasn't gone anywhere. They have to get the power levels up first.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
breakingdefense.com...

Looks like the Army is also prepping for directed energy weapons on their platforms, like the Striker.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: silo13

None of them are large enough to carry one.

Raytheon just did the following:

I grant you that this is still a long way from field service, but this system could certainly be mounted on a large drone. It would be relatively easy to build a drone specifically for use with laser weapons like these.

That said, I know the Apache had to be power limited in order to use that pod. But a purpose build aerial platform for laser systems would be awesome.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The problem becomes weight and room. There aren't any large UAVs that have the capability to carry something even that small right now.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

You don't suppose the Global Hawk could carry one of these do you?
edit on 20 7 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Probably not. It's got a 3,000 lb payload, but they can't carry a really big bulky setup like that. There are a couple rumored things that may be on the drawing board though.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Probably not. It's got a 3,000 lb payload, but they can't carry a really big bulky setup like that. There are a couple rumored things that may be on the drawing board though.

I can't imagine this laser pod weighs much more than the T700 engine powering it.

The T700 701Ds this Apache is equipped with only weigh about 430 lbs.

You would definitely need a counter balance. Maybe an external generator.
edit on 20 7 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

It's probably within their payload capability, but they don't have the space for it. They don't have a big payload bay area. They're only set up for fairly small camera systems, not something that big and bulky.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
A fiery-balled foo fighter [an alien starship that is housed inside a magnetic shield that contains fusion plasma] should be impervious to laser strikes from such a system.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13

This is a good one. It can shoot down a nuclear missile. But I think, anti missile systems use cold ray to cool down the rocket engine, then if the rocket falls into the sea, other countries can get it and own it.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Zaph... Afaik the problem has actually shifted to power more than anything for aviation use of DEW.

LUCKILY

NGATE is getting done very quickly and is specifically designed to give the needed power for these systems

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

That's exactly what the next gen turboshafts etc are about!

When the ones for apache are done it'll use an even smaller laser pod because the turboshafts will handle it without needing extra gennies or. Big honkib cap arrays

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

I can think of something just perfect for at least the turbine powered aircraft to get beacup (however you spell that) juice for a DEW. No turboshafts for power generation needed.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join