It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The boy in the plastic bubble

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

To be fair, the internet was an exclusive community in the 90s. Around 2000 is when infrastructure improved to the point that even online gaming was relevant.

In other words, you're a digital immigrant as well as I am, lived a bit in a time where none of that tech was consumer and we had to answer the phone to find out who was calling. My Daughter was born into this age.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

Has our species become that self-centered and egotistical that we no longer think we've been wrong about something? Rather than just saying, 'Guess I was wrong about that...' We come up with a crackpot theory that the timeline we live on has somehow changed.

Yes. Look around you. People are going to extraordinary lengths to explain away their bad memory. It's not that their memory is wrong, it's that there's been some super dooper time/dimension/universe change and in their Universe, this happened instead of that and a whole planet will be reset to put things back the way they're supposed to be.
Stop and think about how deluded you have to be, to actually believe "They" can change history, but somehow "you" are just so special they couldn't change your memory of it.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: brokenghost
Mandela effect?

I was looking online for this movie I remember viewing as a kid and low and behold, the actor who played the kid wasn't the same person I remember. I remember Robbie Benson being that kid in the bubble, and now, google is telling me it was John Travolta??

I always thought of the actor as being Travolta.

What's really sad about the original case - which is saying something as the whole thing was incredibly sad from start to finish - is that, after years of protecting him from germs, what finally killed him was an infection in the bone marrow transplant from his sister. If I recall correctly, it was some dormant infection that wasn't picked up in the screening process.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Monsieur Neary
I think the confusion may arise in the similarities of the actors--Robbie Benson was sort of "John Travolta lite".

Edit--as a test, I just asked my wife who was the star of "Bubble". She immediately said John Travolta. I then told her about this thread, and she admitted that she almost said Robbie Benson. Just similar actors, that's all.

Your wife was the star of "Bubble"?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Robbie Benson was in Death be not Proud, which was another TV movie made around the same time as The Boy in the Plastic Bubble.

-- Death be not Proud was a TV movie made in 1975 starring Robbie Benson, and was a true story about a teenage boy with an incurable brain tumor

-- The Boy in the Plastic Bubble was a TV movie made in 1976 starring John Travolta, and was a true(ish) story about a teenage boy with an incurable medical condition.

The two TV movies are easily confused, especially by people my age who probably read the book "Death be not Proud" in school in the late 1970s and then saw the movie in class -- which was happening at the same time that John Travolta's The Boy in the Plastic Bubble TV movie became popular. Plus both Benson and Travolta were "Teen heartthrob"-type actors.

Death Be Not Proud IMDb Page

The Boy in the Plastic Bubble IMDb Page

edit on 17/7/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

When D Wave quantum computing takes over your not even going to know what hit you,the Mandella effect is real but by all means believe the official narrative after all thats what this websites all about.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: brokenghost

Welcome to our Universe.

Sit down, relax, and have a snack, you wont be going anywhere now.

Continue on with life, or go insane trying to convince people you are from another Universe - we from this one out rank you and will think you are insane.

Enjoy your stay.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Monsieur Neary
I just asked my wife who was the star of "Bubble"....

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Your wife was the star of "Bubble"?

Then Monsieur Neary's post would have been "I just asked my wife, who was the star of 'Bubble', ... " [with commas]

Try this:

Book -- Eats, Shoots & Leaves

edit on 17/7/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Ah...I get it now. Wasn't sure where Flyingclaydisc was going with that. As much of a teen heartthrob Robbie Benson may have once been, thankfully my wife is far better looking.

That book reminds me of the old joke at the time of Charles and Diana's wedding -- "Drink up, Chuck and Di" versus "Drink, upchuck and die".

edit on 17-7-2017 by Monsieur Neary because: Spelling

edit on 17-7-2017 by Monsieur Neary because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brian4real
Has our species become that self-centered and egotistical that we no longer think we've been wrong about something? Rather than just saying, 'Guess I was wrong about that...' We come up with a crackpot theory that the timeline we live on has somehow changed.

And this is a perfect example of that.

There are people on this thread who say they have a clear memory of Robby Benson being "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" instead of John Travolta, and they swear 100% that they can't possibly be wrong about that.

And then someone in a post above comes out with a very reasonable (and I think correct) explanation. There were TWO movies made at about the same time about teenage boys with a deadly disease, and about how the teenage boys and their families coped with it.

One of those two movies starred Robby Benson (teenager with a brain tumor), and the other starred John Travolta (teenager who needs to live in a bubble).

It seems highly likely that's where the confusion comes from, and it seems highly likely that the people who could not image that they were wrong about Robby Benson being the Bubble Boy were...well, they were wrong.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

"The boy in the plastic bubble"

He will be a Man by now, bubbles well burst.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I just had a conversation about this with my girl and was looking it up. We both remember details almost exactly the same.

A movie with Robbie Benson where he was in a bubble chamber, same premise as the boy w the plastic bubble. We both graduated HS in 6/74 and remember this as possibly an after school special that we saw in HS. I've never seen the Travolta movie; watched virtually no TV or movies from 74 til spring of 83.

Definitely Robbie Benson. Definitely isolation chamber. Definitely pre 6/74 (probably 71, 72.) Definitely TV.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I remember it when it was first aired and recently watched it streaming on Amazon Prime.

I always knew it to be Travolta in his little track shorts.

Robbie Benson was in a similar movie around that time and that is definitely where the confusion is coming from.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The web is brain washing you!
look up kidney punch. ON the belt line.
see ware they punch the kiddney!
then look up the location (anatomy) of the kidney.
well above the belt line 17 cm up!
Not the same?

go look at this old pitcher its N'2

it was Not Travolta.

edit on 18-4-2019 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
The web is brain washing you!
look up kidney punch. ON the belt line.
see ware they punch the kiddney!
then look up the location (anatomy) of the kidney.
well above the belt line 17 cm up!
Not the same?

go look at this old pitcher its N'2

it was Not Travolta.

It was Travolta in The Boy in the Plastic Bubble

As I mentioned above, two movies about teenager boys with serious medical conditions came out at about the same time, both starring teenage heartthrobs:

Death Be Not Proud in 1975 starring Robbie Benson as a teenage boy with a brain tumor trying to make the most of his potentially short life.
and
The Boy in the Plastic Bubble in 1976 starring John Travolta about a teenage boy with an incurable condition trying to make the most of his potentially short life.

The most likely explanation is that people are confusing one movie with the other -- i.e., confusing Robbie Benson and John Travolta.

edit on 4/18/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join