It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Canada AC759 near miss

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
It is being reported as much lower than initial. Photo from incident.

The Air Canada pilots mistook the taxiway for the runway next to it and flew their jet to just 59 feet (18 meters) above ground before pulling up to attempt another landing, according to National Transportation Safety Board information released on Wednesday.

Link

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

They said that they got confused with the taxiway lights, probably because one runway was closed and the lights were off.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That would be the most logical situation. Expecting two, there should be two...

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
An Editorial piece brings some interesting information to light about the behavior of the FAA and Air Canada after the incident. The FAA had one controller on duty at the time, and took over 24 hours to notify the NTSB, so they could send investigators to the scene. Meanwhile, the pilots of the incident aircraft performed their standard crew rest, and departed the next day, without performing a drug or alcohol test. The incident aircraft flew three flights after the incident, recording over the CVR from the time of the incident. According to the NTSB, they weren't required to even be notified since it wasn't an accident.

www.eastbaytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The FAA has changed the landing rules at SFO as a result. Pilots will not be allowed to perform a visual landing when an adjacent, parallel runway is closed, and two workers are required in the tower until the overnight rush is complete.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Oops, they did it again. There's an audio recording of an Air Canada flight at San Francisco being told to go around something like 7 times, before they landed. After they were on the ground, they said something about their radio, which miraculously started working again.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Flying is not inherently safe.....now there's more wrenches in the works I see.....the human element is exactly why I bailed on that career..........drunk mechanics and senior pilot gonna tell me to forget the safety I was drilled with in school.......because we have a schedule to keep.....

I walked.......ya know they told me at Branniff the mechanics all have a fifth of vodka in their locker and some go through it in a day........walked.....Gov't had $10,000 dollars invested in me.....walked.....frigggin turned a pilot into a sheetrocker, brilliant

so, two or three drivin that airliner over the threshold didn't see aircraft lights or see the line-up of waiting departures right there in their landing lights, I see.....fug, just fug

they should have picked out the red rotating beacons on the waiting aircraft, we need high intensity beacons now.....ike the difference between the bus with regular lights on the back, and the busses with the led high intensity lights

edit on 24-10-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
***shiver***

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

Ain't it amazing how "radio problems" always seem to clear up once they're on the ground?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

[ATC frantically firing off the red light gun]

"Look at that, another laser pointer, eh?"

"#$%*&@! kids, it's aboot time they outlawed those things"

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
I've got a number for you to call.

Im going to ask our pilots to give any Air Canukistan planes a wide berth. Sheesh Comms are beaten to death. NOT Responding IS NOT AN OPTION Intermittent radio problems my butt.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

wow....so far near misses......sadly it is a matter of time before a disaster happens

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

There's a soundcloud file on airliners.net of it. The controller was cool as could be, until after they landed when he got a little sarcastic with the pilot.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Wow, my best flying experience was with air Canada, if I ever go to to San Francisco I might give them a wide berth!

Also shining a laser at the plane! Maybe a big go around sign in super bright leds would be better!

Of topic question, is there any airline recognised as having the best training/pilots?

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
that 757 number two in line there....must have been missed by only a few feet....over the vertical stabilizer.....I swear, judging from the pic .

it takes 7 seconds to spool-up...Air Canada couldn't just pitch up....lucky bout that or their tail sections would have bumped
edit on 29-10-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I recall an incident in the recent past where a celebrity actually did land his light aircraft on a taxiway by mistake in daylight - fortunately no other planes were on it at the time.
Can't remember who it was but it was big news complete with video.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
That piece of junk....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join