It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the biggest icebergs in recorded history just broke loose from Antarctica

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Morning, ATS! Couldn't find anything about it yet, so here it goes.

Nothing new since we were all expecting it already...

Scientists announced Wednesday that a much anticipated break at the Larsen C ice shelf in Antarctica has occurred, unleashing a massive iceberg that is more than 2,200 square miles in area and weighs a trillion tons.

In other words, the iceberg — one of the largest in recorded history to splinter off the Antarctic ice sheets — is close to the size of Delaware and consists of almost four times as much ice as the fast melting island of Greenland loses in a year. It is expected to be given the name ‘A68’ soon, scientists said.

“Its volume is twice that of Lake Erie, one of the Great Lakes,” wrote researchers with Project MIDAS, a research group at Swansea and Aberystwyth Universities in Wales that has been monitoring the situation closely by satellite.

The break was detected by one NASA satellite, Aqua MODIS, and confirmed by a second, they said.

The iceberg contains so much mass that if all of it were added anew to the ocean, it would drive almost 3 millimeters of global sea level rise (it takes 360 billion tons of ice to produce 1 millimeter of ocean rise).In this case though, the iceberg is already afloat so there won’t be a substantial sea level change .

Source
edit on 12/7/2017 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
that would have been an awesome sight to see.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
So what is hidden inside or better what is underneath the iceberg? The crack looks artificial to me and not just formed by nature. I'm highly suspicious of everything that comes from that place in particular.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
With several people predicting this would happen, I wonder if anyone setup cameras to record it? I would love to see it as well.

BTW, I am predicting now this thread will get hijacked by the advocates and deniers of CC/GW.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

This crack has been growing for a number of years before it broke off. What do you find suspicious about it?

It's just a normal calving ice sheet, just a lot bigger than normal.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
How long have people been recording iceberg sizes?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
[ walks up holding a full whiskey bottle and an ice pick ] "Buckle up boys...this might take a while"

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: abago71

This is not it, but I'm sure it was just as impressive. I'd love to have been there for this though. Can you imagine the sound of it?!

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: Perfectenemy

This crack has been growing for a number of years before it broke off. What do you find suspicious about it?

It's just a normal calving ice sheet, just a lot bigger than normal.

I'm suspicious of the place as a whole. Antarctica is after Area 51/52 the most intriguing place on the planet at least for me. I'm convinced that something otherworldy is going on there that has to be kept hidden from the outside world at all costs. Unfortunately threads regarding this subject get always canned at some point after they pop up.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
That was an awesome video! Thank you for posting it.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The chinese can tow it off the coast of the USA and make ice cubes off of it to flood the market with.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Holy cow!!! that video was amazing. the time lapse footage at the end was especially incredible.
Thanks OP for the thread and thanks DAVID64 for the video.
Scary stuff.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
So what's the reason of this breakoff/melting? Interesting to note that it doesn't mention any possible AGW cause, just warming seas.
The breakoff of this giant iceberg is imo another fact that the AGW cult is loosing battle. The breakoff will probably cool the surrounding oceans more. If these events will happen more often it can change the warm ocean currents and bring antarctic cooling more northwards.

In other words, the iceberg — one of the largest in recorded history to splinter off the Antarctic — is close to the size of Delaware and consists of almost four times as much ice as the fast melting island of Greenland loses in a year.

getting a bit confused here?? Last year Greenland ice sheet gained a record ice amount. So how big is it now?
Also this year Greenland had record cold temps.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Fake news right?! Wait, it was Hillary's fault!

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Why not tow it to the Western African shore and then transport it to the Sahara? I know some people wouldn't mind that.
edit on 12-7-2017 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: PolyCottonBlend

Meh, this particular calving would probably not have been very exciting or dramatic. Nothing at all like the one in the video DAVID64 posted. This was merely the crack that had been forming for years finally being completed and so would have been quite anticlimactic if one was expecting some sort of spectacular splash or other phenomena.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

Why not tow it to the Western African shore and then transport it to the Sahara? I know some people wouldn't mind that.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to move people out of the desert?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

the same people that have lived there for thousands of years? Um, yea, I suppose it would.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Bluntone22

the same people that have lived there for thousands of years? Um, yea, I suppose it would.

If they lived there for thousands of years without a fricken iceberg, they don't need it now.
Not to mention trying to move something the size of a stste... good luck with that.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: abago71

This is not it, but I'm sure it was just as impressive. I'd love to have been there for this though. Can you imagine the sound of it?!

I kept expecting the guys videoing this to run with a camera shaking while recording yelling Oh My God, Oh My God as the ice killed them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join