It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the biggest icebergs in recorded history just broke loose from Antarctica

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

i went on an "ice calving" binge one day and watched so many of these videos. it was the definition of awesome.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

and now we prepare for nothing to happen, as nothing will happen. It melts, more ice forms and the whole process circle starts again.

As others said however, would be cool to see.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

just curious of this thing was to crack and drift away and this is a bad thing , why dont they secure it to the main body with giant chains or something and let it refreeze !

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Credit: A. Fleming, British Antarctic Survey

Since the 12 July 2017 breakaway Dr Anna Hogg, from the University of Leeds and Dr Hilmar Gudmundsson, from the British Antarctic Survey (BAS), have continued to track the iceberg - known as A68 - using the European Space Agency (ESA) and European Commission's Copernicus Sentinel-1 satellite.

Their observations show that since the calving event, the berg has started to drift away from the Larsen-C, with open ocean clearly visible in the ~ 5 kilometre gap between the berg and the ice-shelf.

Source: phys.org - Update on the Larsen-C iceberg breakaway.

It has a name! And the gap is visible. That thing is huge! Had to share the photo.

At the article they have an animated gif of the last part of rift breaking away. The entire focus is on the rift as it broke which is pretty cool. Looks like a thermal image so that is kind annoying.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: intergalactic fire
a reply to: rickymouse

Why not tow it to the Western African shore and then transport it to the Sahara? I know some people wouldn't mind that.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to move people out of the desert?

Like they do with the refugees? That worked out well didn't it?

I've been told on this very website that the refugee situation is greatly exaggerated.

Besides it's still not practical to drag all that ice around. The cost would be enormous if it's even possible.

If you really think so, I will invite you to come to the Netherlands. Streets upon streets packed with North African food/cloth stores, no go sharia zones, etc...
Everyone who says otherwise either has a huge fence arround their castle or are living on a farm and have no clue whats going on in the cities!

Oh, and on topic:
Thats 1 heck of an iceberg.. what way is it heading and will it melt before it becomes a danger?
edit on 3-8-2017 by HellaKitty because: .

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: HellaKitty

I think that they did a computer model and it stayed in the Antarctic current and basically ended up circling the continent.

If it gets out of the current? Yeah, that would be dangerous! 1,000 foot wall of ice the size of a small state barreling into shipping lanes!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join