It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a supporter of free market principles, I'm having to face the reality of our automated future

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: olaru12
The military industrial complex will always need warm bodies to dance in the ritual of blood and death.

We're just getting started, believe me!

Goddam, Olaru. You are jaaaaded.

That was, like, the single most depressing post I've read in a long time.

Perhaps, but old enough to see the patterns and enough experience in the military to know the drill.

Embrace the Suck....

I refuse. I see the same patterns. But I also see what is different now. I often get criticized for my unchecked optimism but I truly believe we are on a road to something far better.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

The cup is always half full or half empty, but we've all gotta be ready to drink it

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ixc77

My personal pet peeve is referring to remote control quadcopters as 'drones'.

Oh God, don't. That one has been tweaking my tits for nearly a decade now. It's doubly annoying because
(a) it's just a new name for something that already existed and
(b) it's a cheapening of a name that's reserved for something that should exist by now, but doesn't.

I am suuuch a stick-in-the-mud about these things.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: audubon

Oh God, don't. That one has been tweaking my tits for nearly a decade now. It's doubly annoying because
(a) it's just a new name for something that already existed and
(b) it's a cheapening of a name that's reserved for something that should exist by now, but doesn't.

I am suuuch a stick-in-the-mud about these things.

haha, same feeling here. im a construction worker but i would love to get into the field of ai. I find it reprehensible that the current state of so-called machine learning is termed ai. its so far behind the media hype its unbelievable. ray kurzweil must be digging his own grave just to roll around in it in anticipation of the disappointment of the 'singularity' we're all being warned of.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

We don't...

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Of course it is. Automation is called "progress"...

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Edumakated

How does a 40 year old or a 45 year old start studying technology which can may require up to 10 years of education just to get relevant adapt fast enough to sustain a living while learning??

By studying. It helps to have an education system that gives students stipends while they attend school. We don't have that, but loans are a thing.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Factory jobs don't require little skill.

You bring one of the pencil pushers in our offices out onto the printing floor and try to teach them how to print a quality job and they fall apart in days.

I'm writing software for a manufacturing company. The software I write is training software, one thing I've learned over the course of my job, is that I have to know the units I'm recreating in VR inside and out. How all the electronics work, how to diagnose them, how to take them apart and put them back together. It's the same knowledge the technicians have, I'm just using that knowledge for a different purpose.

Show the pencil pushers what to do, and they'll probably be able to do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join