It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone ever created a fantasy/RPG map?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Hi all.....i have a bit of an affinity for maps, especially strange and unusual ones.

Sometimes vintage or anticent maps, but the typical fantasy maps that emerge from fictional worlds we see in films and books such as LOTR, Game of Thrones and the likes.

I've recently got back into gaming too, having not played anything since PS1.....WOW!....PS4 and the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn is quite a thing for an old time of 45 like me

I also like my art too, and whilst no Van Gogh, i want to give making a map a go, somethig for the wall at home. I'm thinking of doing it as part of a story book....so yeah thats a little project i'm working on.

I just bought this bok to assist with the little details.....i just wondered if any of you had tried one yourself?

Maybe you've got something hung on your wall that is nice to the eye?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

CX.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CX

FYI - there are programs both free and paid that do an excellent job of designing random maps for fantasy games...

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I've created my own maps but not for an RPG. It's for a series of books. Currently i have a 3d globe model of it that i use when writing.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

FYI - there are programs both free and paid that do an excellent job of designing random maps for fantasy games...

There were a couple i used for topography and actual map creation which were awesome. The programs are $45/ea but i can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I remember that i wanted to purchase them after using demo versions.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: AkontaDarkpaw

There were a couple i used for topography and actual map creation which were awesome. The programs are $45/ea but i can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I remember that i wanted to purchase them after using demo versions.

I had one like that . That was about the cost as well

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   

I had one like that . That was about the cost as well

Do you remember the name by chance?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: AkontaDarkpaw
I am going through old HDDs now. One came with AD&Ds character maker software from back in the day. Dont think that was it.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   

I am going through old HDDs now. One came with AD&Ds character maker software from back in the day. Dont think that was it.

No. I'd recognize it if i see it again...

I just found it! Campaign Cartographer

Easy to use, not terribly expensive, and the graphics were just what i needed.
edit on 30-6-2017 by AkontaDarkpaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   

No. I'd recognize it if i see it again...

I just found it! Campaign Cartographer

Easy to use, not terribly expensive, and the graphics were just what i needed.

Beautiful . That IS IT...
Thanks

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   

I have dabbled in graphics but nothing like this. I was drawn to your post for the content, graphics art has always peaked my interest!

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Look up the maps from Middle Earth Role Playing. 80's pen and paper game, a chap called Pete Fenlon did amazing maps, there us a thread in my profile. Geographic and city maps to drool over

You could download campaign cartographer 2 for free, it's pretty good.

I've made loads of maps for campaigns years ago etc as well as just for fun. I used to have a re-imagined/mythical celtic ice age northern europe map on my wall that i made for a Runequest campaign that never got off the ground. Jeez, like over 20 years ago.

Map drawing was a bit of a thing for me too

Oh yeah, Tolkien is the absolute master of the fantasy map

edit on 30-6-2017 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

inkwellideas.com...

watabou.itch.io...

There's a few online.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I used a program called Maptool to make quite a few battle maps for the D&D and Pathfinder RPGs a few years back. It was really easy to use and made perfect town and battle maps. It is a free Java based tool. There are a few other tools they have that are nice too. I also used Token Tool for the tokens on the maps. Loved the Fog of War feature. I miss sitting around a table and letting my imagination do the gaming. Keyboards and controllers just don't compare.

RPTools Website for MapTool and TokenTool info

Some Cool Maps from Pinterest:

My Pinterest World Map Saves
My Pinterest City/Towns Map Saves
My Pinterest Dungeon, Forest, Cave, Battle Map Saves

**Note** none of these are my works. These are just ones I liked and thought I may use one day.
edit on 30-6-2017 by Tekaran because: (no reason given)

top topics

join