It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 1984 Documentary That Predicted the Grenfell Tower Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

So this is pretty interesting. The documentary is about London's planned developments for high rise towers to accommodate the rising population.

One of the new materials 'just introduced' in 1984 was, you guessed, exterior aluminum cladding.

Narrator: A new industry has sprung up, offering methods of repairing the systems. Tower blocks, hundreds of feet high, are being completely recovered or re-clad in new materials guaranteed to prevent rain from reaching the joints.

1st Interviewee: The only way that you can repair the present industrialized systems is by the use of other untried and untested remedial works. And we already have evidence of some of those repair systems failing because they've been inadequately researched and evaluated.

Narrator: What sort of risks do you think there are from using systems that haven't been appraised properly?
2nd Interviewee: Well, the particularly obvious one, there's a fire risk. And I think it's absolutely essential that anything that is being placed on or around existing blocks should be considered very carefully in relation to a serious fire.

It seems that there were many architects and structural engineers that raised doubts about aluminum cladding exteriors back in London circa 1984. Unfortunately 78 people had to find out about it the hard way before their government could be held accountable.

It's good to see that the city officials are at least taking things seriously in wake of the tragedy. I heard on NPR that many schools where the same aluminum cladding was used were shut down until they could remove the cladding. Whatever it takes, I'm sure the kids won't mind missing school, or being alive for that matter.

edit on 6/26/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Important topic and one we should look further into. After watching that video, I'm even more convinced of this...

PS 1 Minute into the video, they specifically mention fire risk and concerns about combustibility of these materials.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

PS 1 Minute into the video, they specifically mention fire risk and concerns about combustibility of these materials.

Yes, I transcribed that part in my OP.

Being an American, I cannot help but be reminded of the fact that WTC 1 & 2 both had aluminum cladding exterior.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I cannot help but be reminded of the fact that WTC 1 & 2 both had aluminum cladding exterior.

I actually had no idea about that, and I've been a skeptic of the official story since very early on.. thanks for sharing this info. I'll have to do a little more research on this then. That's more than interesting....

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Here's the full documentary by Adam Curtis that the clip is from. The clip starts around 43:30

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: And Why

Thanks for posting that.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   

AS I see this doco its about the gladding, it has noting to do with grenfell tower. Grenfell tower was mentioned in the thread title just to attract people to the thread. rather poor form actaully.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

AS I see this doco its about the gladding, it has noting to do with grenfell tower. Grenfell tower was mentioned in the thread title just to attract people to the thread. rather poor form actaully.

The point is that buildings with this type of cladding have been thought for a while to be potential fire hazards.

If a person says "a fire might spread dangerously quickly through a building clad with this style of cladding", and a fire does spread quickly though a building (any building) with that style of cladding, then I for one would say that the fire was predicted.

Not predicted in a "woo woo" way, but predicted in an "understanding the hazard and foreseeing future problems" sort of way.

By the way, there had been other fires (including fires in London) over the past few decades in which the rapidly spreading fire had been at least partially attributed to cladding such as this (insulation attached to the substrate structure and an air gap with metal skin).

edit on 27/6/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Maybe next time watch the video before you comment, you'll save yourself the humiliation.

There is a reason why this was posted in general conspiracies, had they actually predicted specifically the Grenfell Tower fire it would be in the predictions forum.

The point of this thread is to point out the fact that the aluminum cladding raiseed many concerns about firesafety at the time it was being introduced to London's tower blocks.

So no, there was no click bait and I would appreciate it if you took your piss poor attitude elsewhere.

edit on 6/27/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
That's shocking!

I have always said that the architects who drew up these bloody things should be made to live in them.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: Azureblue

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Maybe next time watch the video before you comment, you'll save yourself the humiliation.

There is a reason why this was posted in general conspiracies, had they actually predicted specifically the Grenfell Tower fire it would be in the predictions forum.

The point of this thread is to point out the fact that the aluminum cladding raiseed many concerns about firesafety at the time it was being introduced to London's tower blocks.

So no, there was no click bait and I would appreciate it if you took your piss poor attitude elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Had you stated that aluminum cladding used on the Grenfell tower was and or had been installed in or on other towers, your headline would have had much greater credibility.

BTW, thank you for verifying that my claim that the thread was far less about the grenfell tower and far more about the materials used in high rises.

One has learned to be a little sus about thread titles such xyz predicted 911 or whatever. Dunno why but crying wolf comes to mind.

cheers

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: Azureblue

The point is that buildings with this type of cladding have been thought for a while to be potential fire hazards.

If a person says "a fire might spread dangerously quickly through a building clad with this style of cladding", and a fire does spread quickly though a building (any building) with that style of cladding, then I for one would say that the fire was predicted.

Not predicted in a "woo woo" way, but predicted in an "understanding the hazard and foreseeing future problems" sort of way.

By the way, there had been other fires (including fires in London) over the past few decades in which the rapidly spreading fire had been at least partially attributed to cladding such as this (insulation attached to the substrate structure and an air gap with metal skin).

Thank you for your response, I understand and agree with most of your comment however 'Predicting Similar Events due to Gladding Material, well thats different and no worries at all.

cheers

top topics

join