It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we change?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Hey all. I've been visiting ats for a few years and figured i'd join. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

So there has been a lot of people complaining about those who have been elected to "represent" us. So the modern age of connectivity where we are connected multiple ways almost constantly. Can we go to a "direct democracy" as opposed to the representative republic we currently live in. This past election was kind of a proof of concept for on-line voting.

So my question. Could we do away with congress and do online voting say once a week on policy. Imagine the money that would be saved by no longer having to pay new politicians. Plus then we would have a say and vote directly and not have to trust someone to represent us and not their own agendas.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

The answer to your questions are:

1. No
2. No

Hold on, make #1 HELL No!

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Do away with traditional big bucks campaigning. All candidates have multiple televised and online debates and questions from us.

Those who participate from home and ask questions and vote get tax breaks for being involved. Bam: Cuts out lobbying corruption and candidates actually have to answer real questions from real people. No need to change anything else.
edit on 24-6-2017 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
Do away with traditional big bucks campaigning. All candidates have multiple televised and online debates and questions from us.

Those who participate from home and ask questions and vote get tax breaks for being involved. Bam: Cuts out lobbying corruption and candidates actually have to answer real questions from real people. No need to change anything else.

Exactly!

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Won't ever happen in the U.S. Too many have been brainwashed to believe that there are actually politicians who give a damn about anything other than self aggrandizement and gain. If you want a direct Democracy, you're going to have to move to Iceland. I am working on that now myself.
edit on 24-6-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Only allow these that serve in the military or Peace Corp for at least two years to vote. Unless you put your butt on the line for the country then no vote.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

Agree but one more suggestion, prosecutors go after any elected official lawbreaker to the fullest extent of the law.
edit on 24-6-2017 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
How bout NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Sorry I must let logic dictate that granted these polies are conies. They sift through the noise that is us. New polies would nice.

We on ATS have a hard time agreeing with anything anyone writes. JFK is the start of all this conspiracy. I believe it gave us rise and possible voice. But still today. We as a community of ATS can't agree as one voice who we believe did it. And it's just this Web site. Look all over the web. It's chaotic. I don't want that governing our nation.

Holy crap...I don't even want to imagine it.

A star for thinking outside the box

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   
"Fish hold records for the relative brain weights of vertebrates. Most vertebrate species have similar brain-to-body mass ratios. The deep sea bathypelagic bony-eared assfish,[3] has the smallest ratio of all known vertebrates."

Fish Itellegence

Boney-eared assfish...

Seems like a fitting discription for stupid imbeciles who can't recognize there is no democrat/republican side of things.

Republican / Democrat / Liberal / Conservative... distraction and baby food for those who can't seems to realize their "mother" is feeding them crap from the childhood "airplane".

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Unless you put your butt on the line for the country then no vote

Why the propaganda...when was the US military in the last 30 years in a fight defending against attacks on US soil?

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Just have blind votes. Candidates are known only as candidate A,B,C,D etc.

Their policies and backgrounds are listed in text only and the public never sees who they are voting for only ever sees what they intend to do.

Every candidate receives exact same amount of press time, no more popularity contest voting, no more corporate backings.

All can apply and the top 10 are picked through a simple meritocratic algorithm that selects the best educated, most experienced. Probably a lot of kinks to work out but seems fairest

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Can we change? Yes of course anyone can. It's all in the mind, if you want to sincerely change, then you will.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   

If we were to go to a true direct democracy and eliminate Congress, this nation would quickly fail. The reason I believe this to be so is because, firstly, Congress has to author and initiate the policies and legislation to be voted on. Secondly, most people vote how they are told they are supposed to, without truly researching the issues and the benefits or detriments of them. Unless there was a requirement that in order to vote, one must prove a minimum level of comprehension for each policy, or for each candidate, the country would quickly collapse.

And this sort of litmus test would never be allowed to be established. It would immediately fall victim to claims of racism, disenfranchisement, voter suppression, etc. If states aren't allowed to require that registered voters verify their identity with an official legal form of ID, without similar claims being levelled at them now, requiring the voter to prove familiarity with the individual issues would never fly.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
Can we go to a "direct democracy" as opposed to the representative republic we currently live in. This past election was kind of a proof of concept for on-line voting.

Direct democracy sounds good, but it would be an f'ing disaster. Rule by the mob. No thanks.

American politics is broken because of the lobbyists and vested interests, and the money needed to run for office. The US would be better served by solving these problems, IMHO.

top topics

join