It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Johnny Depp reminding me why I despise Hollywood

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: face23785
a reply to: projectvxn

A seemingly little-known gem in there, in my opinion anyway, was The Ninth Gate. I'm not sure it was that good of an acting job but it was still a good movie, and he happens to be in it. It's almost B-movieish but I enjoyed it.

But # are these people spoiled, and then they'll lecture us about how we live. $2M per month.

I would agree with that. The Ninth Gate was a decent movie. It was a good script and the creep factor was good too.

Other than that...There really isn't much about Depp's career that I find particularly noteworthy.

Ever seen run diaries? If also add transcendence and if you haven't seen the tourist it's really good.

He's an unusual actor in that he looks for odd movies to make he doesn't want it to be cookie cutter. Apparently he turns down a lot of movies because it has to intrest him creating the character
I think he only does movies for people who will allow him to stay #ed up all of the time.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Among the others listed here, I'll add: What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Ed Wood, Donnie Brasco, Fear & Loathing, Chocolat, The Libertine, Public Enemies and Black Mass. All decent movies, imo. I'll throw in Sweeney Todd for my spouse.
Meh, haters gonna hate. I have a feeling most of the posts here are from males.

In other Hollywood news, I was saddened to learn of Daniel Day-Lewis retiring. Always worth watching. Always.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

The cannon shooting the ashes thing was actually pretty cool of him. That was Thomson's idea apparently and Depp made it happen out of respect for the guy. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Besides, 3 mill. for that when you're already spending 2 mill. a month just living is nothing.

What kind of life requires 2 mill. a month FFS???

I could live the rest of my life for what his life costs for a month. That's insane.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
This thread is wrong!

Do you want to know WHAT is wrong?

You complain about a person SPENDING his money, at large!
Isn't that the perfect "trickle-down-economy"-guy?

Isn't that what the 1% tells the rest of us so we do not rebell against their insane amount of money?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

No one cares that he spends money.

No one cares that he has money or money problems.

We care that we get preached to by these elitist sycophants about how we should live while they whine about their largess.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: ManFromEurope

No one cares that he spends money.

No one cares that he has money or money problems.

We care that we get preached to by these elitist sycophants about how we should live while they whine about their largess.

Well you should like Depp a patently he's paranoid and believes the NWO stuff and believes he is being observed by the government. He's really bat # crazy probably because he started doing drugs at 14. But like it or not he has a talent and it gets him paid.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: face23785

from the link...$2 million a month on expenses!
Self inflicted largess....

They added the star is to blame for his reported financial woes, pointing out extravagant expenses, including $3 million to shoot writer Hunter S. Thompson’s ashes out of a cannon a dozen years ago, as well as the $2 million he spends monthly on expenses.

Wtf? I'd have smoked them

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Where did he get his money from?
It is called "entertainment". Movieproduction, cinemas and aftersales.

How much money was made in that process overall, how much money went to other people?
You should think about that.

He did not make his money in some illegal ways, he worked for it in an industry where a small number of people is responsible for the success of many, many more - the star is moving the yield of the picture upwards.
Same goes for many sports - a highly-sought-after star in soccer or formula one or whatever makes a $hitton of money, but the industry itself moves a lot more money around, why shouldn't the stars be left out of it?

They make it happen that so many people are willing to spend money in cinemas, on videostreams (legal) or in sportsarenas. Without them, many people would have not the jobs they have now.

To me, the moviestars are much more to be thanked for their work than the banksters in wallstreet or London or Frankfurt!

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TiggersTheMan

Yeah he's an awesome actor. The last thing I saw him in was Black Mass and he was frigging terrifying in it. Fear and Loathing is one of my favourite movies of all time too.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
This thread is wrong!

Do you want to know WHAT is wrong?

You complain about a person SPENDING his money, at large!
Isn't that the perfect "trickle-down-economy"-guy?

Isn't that what the 1% tells the rest of us so we do not rebell against their insane amount of money?

Quite the conundrum indeed.

Clearly his philosophy goes something like

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I await the Go Fund Me Depp Page with anticipation and an empty wallet

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I can understand your attitude because of all the inequality, but Johnny is not to blame. He is just exploiting his own talent, not anyone else. Blame is not for him.

He is very handsome. I think he has a bit of that Elvis charisma. perhaps we are too much slaves of charisma, but even I can be a bit of a sucker for it sometimes.

Guys, there is an amazing movie that he actually directed and starred in. It is a little off the radar and not so commercial. It is called "The Brave". It is a very clever allegory on indigenous invasion and exploitation, exploring the power play between those who have power and money and those who have been the victims of them. A great metaphor for our time, it also stars Marlon Brando in one of his last movie appearances. Johnny also has helped the legacy of Woody Guthrie in very big ways with his support and initiative.

www.imdb.com...

A down-on-his-luck American Indian recently released from jail is offered the chance to "star" as the victim of a snuff film, the resulting pay of which could greatly help his poverty stricken family.

Another interesting movie is "Before Night Falls". Johnny plays two characters. He does an excellent role as a Cuban transvestite in prison after the Cuban revolution:

www.imdb.com...

Episodic look at the life of Cuban poet and novelist, Reinaldo Arenas (1943-1990), from his childhood in Oriente province to his death in New York City. He joins Castro's rebels. By 1964, he is in Havana. He meets the wealthy Pepe, an early lover; a love-hate relationship lasts for years. Openly gay behavior is a way to spite the government. His writing and homosexuality get him into trouble: he spends two years in prison, writing letters for other inmates and smuggling out a novel. He befriends Lázaro Gomes Garriles, with whom he lives stateless and in poverty in Manhattan after leaving Cuba in the Mariel boat-lift. When asked why he writes, he replies cheerfully, "Revenge."

He has played a great diversity of roles. Quite the contrary of the charge that he plays the same character. There is no other Hollywood actor who has diversified with physical appearance more than Johnny. Very theatrical, very colorful, a wild child who is very welcome to chase away the blues of normality, conservatism and monotone dreary conventionality.

edit on 21-6-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE this lump of human waste!!!!!!!!!! He is by far the WORST actor in history. He acts the exact same in every movie alllll the way back to Edward scissor hands. He gets this stupid look ,his eyes get big, he always ALWAYS has the worst accent and he continues to try and be funny the entire movie. His personality matches. He is so horrible i really cant believe he still has a job. He makes me want to puke

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

There is a reason actors and the like were once considered low class. In the old days, people recognized them for what they are. People who dress up and play for a living.

There is nothing respectable about what they do, particularly when they color it with their unwelcome political opinions.

Modern society has given them too much power. We should kick them back to the gutter where they belong.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
2 mill a month isn't much when he can put out enough to sustain that for a year off the back of one movie. Most of the first world lives month to month in a similar fashion, just much less opulently.

It sounds ludicrous to somebody that hasn't attained that level of wealth but there are plenty of people out there who would find him frugal. Anyway, it's his money he can spend it however he wants.

As a society we're becoming very envious and insular. Instead of celebrating success we just hope people in the spotlight fail so we can feel validated by our own lack of trying. I find it disgusting and lazy personally.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
These Hollywood elites are so out of touch with reality it's almost comedic.

Leonardo DiCaprio's 8,000 mile day trip on a private jet... to collect green award

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
But remember, folks, when people like Johnny tell you who to vote for, you should totally listen!

And people do it, and then we wonder why our country is so screwed up, kinda like their lives ...

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

I retired at 45. Do you think I did that by being lazy?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Uh...congratulations?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
a reply to: Restricted

Uh...congratulations?

I thought you were speaking to me.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>